General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike training and technical questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-13 6:57 PM

Subject: bike training and technical questions

Hey everybody,

Hope race season is going well for all of you and that your staying injury free.

I have recently gotten back to training after a running injury while training for a half ironman. I was out for two and a half months. When I got back on my bike things went great and I was logging all time highs during training at only moderate exertion. I trained for most of the winter on a bike trainer before getting hurt. 

I am finding that I am having to switch gears frequently to find a comfortable cadence on slightly rolling terrain and that I am riding in a big gear more often. I have never had to do this before and don't understand why. In a recent race, I did excellent in the flats, but hills were quite difficult. I am also finding my gears skipping when shifting or not shifting until I hit a bump. 

Any advice/help?

2012-06-13 7:02 PM
in reply to: #4260571

User image

Master
Denison Texas
Subject: RE: bike training and technical questions
djcannon - 2012-06-13 6:57 PM

Hey everybody,

Hope race season is going well for all of you and that your staying injury free.

I have recently gotten back to training after a running injury while training for a half ironman. I was out for two and a half months. When I got back on my bike things went great and I was logging all time highs during training at only moderate exertion. I trained for most of the winter on a bike trainer before getting hurt. 

I am finding that I am having to switch gears frequently to find a comfortable cadence on slightly rolling terrain and that I am riding in a big gear more often. I have never had to do this before and don't understand why. In a recent race, I did excellent in the flats, but hills were quite difficult. I am also finding my gears skipping when shifting or not shifting until I hit a bump. 

Any advice/help?

Shift when you need to shift-that's why you have them. Have the cable tension and derailleur adjusted. you might find an adjustment barrel near the cable stop on the down tube you can make minor adjustments while riding.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike training and technical questions Rss Feed