Reading, Pennsylvania
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 38m 57s
Overall Rank = 182/187
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Carpooled with 3 other friends since parking is very limited. We got there about an hour early, which was nice. Plenty of time to pick up our numbers and goodie bags and settle in. And people watch. Although some people I wish I hadn't seen...we were standing in line for the bathroom and the doors for the restrooms were propped open, so I could see the air dryer in the men's room. I see this guy walk up with baggy cargo shorts and, well, uh, make some bizarre motions with his hand invoving his 'junk' while using the blow dryer on his, well, junk and shorts. Things that can't be unseen! Worst of all, it turned out this guy was a volunteer and was working the first water stop! I chose to take water from his female counterpart rather than him cuz I knew where his hands were!!

Ate a Strawberry Stinger Waffle about 20 minutes before my race started.
Event warmup:

Strech, people watch, check out competition. Since it is an age-graded race, we actually had our ages on our calves like in triathlon.
Run
  • 1h 38m 57s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 15m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

This was an age-graded race, so they take some national average time for people in each age group and start them accordingly so every one essentially has an equal chance of winning. For example, the 70+ women went first, and my age group started 21 minutes after them. The last group to go is M 20-25, which start 30 minutes after the first group. In a nutshell, the nationally averaged 'slowest' people start first and it trickles down until the 'fastest' group. Very interesting concept. So the first place graded winner was a 44 y/o female, 2nd a 45 y/o male, 3rd a 64 y/o male, then a 65 y/o female. Cool stuff!

Loved the course! I liked that the course wasn't super technical overall and had just a nice amount of technical areas. Such a beautiful area. I especially liked the areas where there were many pines. There was one trail called Middle Road where we ran between huge, tall pines lining the trail on either side. Very cool!

I started out OK and even climbed the first hill without needing to walk. On either the second or third hill, I talked to another racer (who had lost 50 lbs and was running to stay in shape and keep the weight off) and ended up staying with her the rest of the race. This was both good and bad. At first I thought she was about my speed/ability, but as time went on, I realized I had the edge on her. But by that time, she had already said to me how much I was helping her run more than she would've if she were alone, how she doesn't really like being in the woods alone, etc., etc. So, I know I could've run more/run faster/had a better clock time if I hadn't stuck with her, but on the other hand, I think I did her a lot of good. And she was good company.

This was the longest run I had done in a looooong time mainly because of my Achilles issues, but thankfully I think my biking really helped my leg endurance and strength in spite of not having much run training in. And my ankle didn't really hurt while I was running, but boy it wasn't happy after I finished and started cooling down. Ice and anti-inflammatories are my friends!

1:59:57 total race time/graded time (184/187 finishers)
0:21:00 minutes added to my actual time to make the 'grade'
1:38:57 actual time (182/187 finishers)
Yeah, I know, those are very pathetic times.
What would you do differently?:

Don't talk to people?!?!
Post race
Warm down:

Did some stretching. Grabbed one of the best post-race treats I've ever had: ICE POPS!! I had a blue one and then went back for a purple one. Heaven! The only thing that could've been better was ice cream.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Limited run training due to my Achilles and my choice to stay with the woman I was talking to.

Event comments:

The race rating would've been a 5 but I learned from one of my friends I was at the race with that a few volunteers packed up early and left, assuming the course was clear and it wasn't. Unfortunately, they left a crucial point in the trail that wasn't overly well-marked. My friend came back down the trail to look for me and ended up directing a few racers to make the turn where the volunteers left. I can't understand why they would leave before the sweeps come through, unless they were new and didn't understand. If my friend hadn't been there, I may very well have missed the turn as well.

I will definitely do this race again, but hopefully have more run training under my belt and I will not make friends, LOL!! :)

Last updated: 2012-04-20 12:00 AM
Running
01:38:57 | 06.21 miles | 15m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/187
Performance: Average
Garmin marked 6.03 miles. Could be 'off' because of being in the woods/trees. My friend's Garmin came in at 5.95 miles. IDK
Course: Beautiful! Wooded trails of Nolde Forest. Not overly technical. Most trails were majority dirt with some roots and rocks. A few more technical spots with heavy roots/rocks. The first half of the course was mostly uphill with some respectable hills. The mid-point involved climbing up and over a large, crazy rock formation. For the most part, the second half was downhill but there were a few more gradual uphills and then a steep uphill at the very end behind the mansion to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-06-25 10:13 AM

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: Run for the Ages

2012-06-25 10:50 AM
in reply to: #4278774

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Run for the Ages

Nice job Melanie! What you see as a negative for your race I see as a positive.  That woman is probably telling the story to all of her friends and relatives about the nice woman who stayed with her and pushed her and made it a good experience for her.  Sometimes our races are given to helping others.  There are many RR that are "slow" because they were pacing a friend or relative, or just met a new friend on the trail who needed some help.

I think you did GREAT!!!!!!!!!! 

2012-06-25 11:44 AM

User image

Master
I echo TJ!  Sometimes the race is not about finishing, it is about the experience.  Great job!
2012-06-25 11:57 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Congratulations on a tough trail run, on doing the hills well, and most of all ... for helping a fellow racer. BIG AWESOMENESS POINTS!!!
2012-06-25 5:23 PM
in reply to: #4279056

User image

Coastal Carolina

TriAya - 2012-06-25 12:57 PM Congratulations on a tough trail run, on doing the hills well, and most of all ... for helping a fellow racer. BIG AWESOMENESS POINTS!!!

x2  Awesome job and good race!!

2012-06-25 11:17 PM

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Excellent job. Helping another runner was the right thing to do, and going a little slower was probably good for your Achilles. It sounds like a beautiful run.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Run for the Ages Rss Feed