General Discussion Triathlon Talk » newbie looking for help in the Chalmette area Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-25 4:27 PM

Subject: newbie looking for help in the Chalmette area

Just wondering if anyone on the board is from the Chalmette area. I'm just getting into the sport and want to make sure I get the basics down. Here are my biggest concerns

- I'm trying to find somewhere local to do swim training. (I know UNO and elmwood have pools but both are about 45mins away from me)

- I'd like to find a running coach or someone to look at my running form. From what I've heard, running isnt supposed to hurt

- Whats the deal with local tri groups? Is that something I should look into or should I wait a few seasons? 

Thanks!

2012-06-25 6:45 PM
in reply to: #4279747

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Subject: RE: newbie looking for help in the Chalmette area
Can't really help you as I am in BTR but will say that you should look into any local tri group.  As a beginner they can provide a lot of good info.
2012-06-26 10:16 PM

User image

Expert
Hammond
Espiritu46 - 2012-06-25 4:27 PM

Just wondering if anyone on the board is from the Chalmette area. I'm just getting into the sport and want to make sure I get the basics down. Here are my biggest concerns

- I'm trying to find somewhere local to do swim training. (I know UNO and elmwood have pools but both are about 45mins away from me)

- I'd like to find a running coach or someone to look at my running form. From what I've heard, running isnt supposed to hurt

- Whats the deal with local tri groups? Is that something I should look into or should I wait a few seasons? 

Thanks!

Hi and welcome to BT,

I'm sorry I don't have much info about tri groups/ people in the Chalmette area. Unfortunately you are in a similar situation to me. I am in the Hammond/Ponchatoula area so like you am about 45 min from any real tri group activity. It stinks.

I do know that the GNO tri club is pretty active and is a great resource. Hard, Inc. is another local New Orleans group that would probably be a good resource. They have weekly open water swims at the lakefront and I think welcome newcomers. Both groups would probably have or know of members/ triathletes in the Chalmette area.

Good luck,

Shelly
2012-06-27 6:59 AM

User image

Queen BTich

I'll be in the Hammond area starting in August! My husband and I will definitely be looking for people to train with! 

(sorry, Espirtu, don't know anyone in Chalmette)

2012-06-27 11:30 AM

Thanks for the replies!

Just from going to events I've see Venom Multisport Racing (New Orleans), Hard, Inc. (Metairie), Team Rising Sun (Elmwood), and I messaged VMR on facebook to get more info on them. I have on a few occasions seen someone in a Hard, inc. kit cycling in my area, but I have no clue who they are. I was kind of hoping they were on BT and would see this.

I stopped in to Adams bicycle world and happened to talk to Rick Montgomery, who said he was a local tri coach. Soon as I get an opportunity I think I'll try to get more info from him on local group training runs/swims/rides  

2012-07-02 11:20 PM
in reply to: #4282362

User image

Expert
Hammond
Comet - 2012-06-27 6:59 AM

I'll be in the Hammond area starting in August! My husband and I will definitely be looking for people to train with! 

(sorry, Espirtu, don't know anyone in Chalmette)

Let me know when you guys get here. My husband and I ride and run often. He is much faster than I am though- hehe. There's also a local running store that organizes runs and a group that swims Masters. Both are always trying to recruit newcomers.

Are you guys moving here or just here short term?

Shelly

2012-07-02 11:25 PM
in reply to: #4282998

User image

Expert
Hammond
Espiritu46 - 2012-06-27 11:30 AM

Thanks for the replies!

Just from going to events I've see Venom Multisport Racing (New Orleans), Hard, Inc. (Metairie), Team Rising Sun (Elmwood), and I messaged VMR on facebook to get more info on them. I have on a few occasions seen someone in a Hard, inc. kit cycling in my area, but I have no clue who they are. I was kind of hoping they were on BT and would see this.

I stopped in to Adams bicycle world and happened to talk to Rick Montgomery, who said he was a local tri coach. Soon as I get an opportunity I think I'll try to get more info from him on local group training runs/swims/rides  

I totally forgot about Team Rising Sun at Elmwood. My brother raced with them for a fairly long time. A great team. Hard Inc, has a facebook page. I met some of the ladies last year at the New Orleans Iron Girl and they all were extremely nice and helpful. I just am very intimidated by them- they are all so fit and fast- hehe. This is strictly my own insecurity though- they were nothing but helpful when I met them- and I love, love, love their logos and colors.

Eastbank Cyclery probably has contact info on them as well.

hth,

Shelly
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » newbie looking for help in the Chalmette area Rss Feed