General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Timberman Sprint or Granite Man? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-18 8:01 AM

User image

New user
Subject: Timberman Sprint or Granite Man?

Well, as the title suggests, I would like to do a tri in August and there are two on the same day- Timberman and Granite Man. I have never done either one and am planning on a hilly Oly distance in September.

Any recommendations? Thanks!

2012-07-19 9:56 AM
in reply to: #4317409

User image

NH
Subject: RE: Timberman Sprint or Granite Man?

I’ve done Timberman but never Granite Man.  I’d say it depends what you’re looking for.  Timberman is HUGE, like 1400 participants, and way more commercial.  Ellacoya can certainly handle the crowd, and the half the next day will have 2500+.  Granite Man will be much smaller, maybe 300, and more back yard party-ish. 

Both have challenging bikes – despite never racing Granite Man, I’ve ridden the bike course and it seems tougher to me.  Timberman’s run is very short (~2.9 miles) vs. Granite Man’s 4+ mile run.  The Granite Man swim is also longer.  I guess if the primary goal is to prep for an Oly, Granite Man is certainly closer to an Oly race, and I would be it’s a lot cheaper.

2012-07-19 11:43 AM
in reply to: #4319770

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Timberman Sprint or Granite Man?
wbayek - 2012-07-19 10:56 AM

I’ve done Timberman but never Granite Man.  I’d say it depends what you’re looking for.  Timberman is HUGE, like 1400 participants, and way more commercial.  Ellacoya can certainly handle the crowd, and the half the next day will have 2500+.  Granite Man will be much smaller, maybe 300, and more back yard party-ish. 

Both have challenging bikes – despite never racing Granite Man, I’ve ridden the bike course and it seems tougher to me.  Timberman’s run is very short (~2.9 miles) vs. Granite Man’s 4+ mile run.  The Granite Man swim is also longer.  I guess if the primary goal is to prep for an Oly, Granite Man is certainly closer to an Oly race, and I would be it’s a lot cheaper.

Thank you for the response!  Based on what you said, Granite Man may be the way to go then.  I appreciate your thoughts!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Timberman Sprint or Granite Man? Rss Feed