General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ways to balance workouts, work, and family tips and suggestions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2012-07-27 10:12 AM

Philadelphia
Subject: ways to balance workouts, work, and family tips and suggestions
Always open to new ideas of how to balance workouts, work, and family. I workout 6-7 days a week, married and have 2 young boys (2 and 4 yrs). I often find myself taking my lunch hour for runs, 2 mornings up at 430 for swimming and longer runs, and weekend days off for longer bike rides. Runs range from 6-10 miles, rides are 70-120 mins. How is everyone else doing it

2012-07-27 10:19 AM
in reply to: #4333587

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: ways to balance workouts, work, and family tips and suggestions
First of all, I'm fortunate enough that my wife is a triathlete, so that helps a lot.

One thing we do to really help us finding time for us, is to schedule time off. Just like you add SBR etc to your workout schedule, add family time. Have a discussion with your family how they would like it. Could be that every Friday evening, you have movie night or something like that.

I'm certain that you have off days, make sure those are dedicated to the family, same thing when you have a lighter week, increase family time.
2012-07-27 10:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

3 girls 4, 6, 8 and it is always a struggle to get the workouts in. Luckily I can
get 1 hour workouts in during lunch (with a pool nearby) so I only have 3 work
outs I need to do in non-work time.

Basically
2 of the 3 happen early in the morning or late at night (Ran 13 miles yesterday
finishing around midnight). I might get 1 3 hour block on the weekend

I ride at 5am so I can in 3 hours before the kids wakeup in the morning. When the
kids start saying "you’re working out again" it’s time to adjust your
schedule a little bit

Keeping the spouse happy is the number 1 thing otherwise family life becomes a lot harder.

2012-07-27 10:23 AM

User image

I don't want triathlon to interfere with my family time, either. During the week I am up at 5:15 in order to wrap up workouts by 7 a.m. when the kids get up and we hustle out the door. Lunch hour workouts are not an option for me, and I keep the evenings open for kids' activities. On Saturdays I am up before 6 so that I can be home by 8:30 to take my daughter to soccer at 9:30. Yes, I sometimes wish I could go out with the Wednesday night group ride or Tuesday night swim at the local beach, but family time is more important to me right now with the ages my kids are (5 and 7). I will tell you this - it was much easier getting up so early a month ago - now it's already dark again! For about 5 or 6 weeks I was able to ride my favourite loop in the morning before 7 a.m. Now it's too dark, and I'm back on the trainer.
2012-07-27 10:24 AM

User image

Regular
Thousand Oaks
I feel your pain, and we have 3 kids.  Wife and I decided just yesterday to hire a sitter from 4-8pm M-F.  It is costly, but we need to be able to train and spend time with each other without falling down on the couch each night in a heaping pile of exhaustion.  She is a runner so the plan is to be out the door by 4:15pm each day and mostly train with sometimes getting some coffee or dinner afterwards.  
2012-07-27 10:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
the only really bad thing for me is that I do not get to go on group runs or group rides. But when I do I really enjoy them

2012-07-27 10:34 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
Sounds like you have a fair handle on it, I work very similar to you and I don't have any Kids at home anymore, for me when working I do 90% of my training on my lunch break. I negotiated a 1 & 1/2 hr break with my boss as they needed someone to work a bit later so I made the deal I work a bit longer but I get a big lunch break, this gives me a full hr to run, Rollerblade swim my pool is 5 min away, and a half hr to clean up and eat, Biking get saved till after dinner or weekends when I have longer times to train. On weekends I get up squirrelly early and for the most part I am out and have my training done either ride, or brick workout by the time wife is finishing her first coffee, so we have the rest of the day together. I have one evening per week for the tri club event either a Splash & dash or a brick TT, my wife and the dogs ( our Kids) usually come along for the ride and she will help out as a spotter or  doing something else that need to be done, this gives her an opportunity to hang out and get to know the people that I train with over the winter too.
2012-07-27 10:36 AM

Philadelphia
Nice to be able to relate to people in the same boat. The biggest challenge is doing as much as I can without interfering with family timwhich I've done well to this point. I can def relate to missing group runs or rides. They make workouts so much easier and fly by quicker! I def learn to appreciate the quietness in the world at 430am working out even in Philadelphia lol
2012-07-27 10:38 AM

Philadelphia
When weather permits I also take one of my kids ins jogging stroller with me. Makes the 45-60 mins 1 kid easier on my wife and I still get my workout in
2012-07-27 10:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
I have 4 kids: 19mo, 7, 8, and one in the oven.
All of my workouts take place early in the mornings.. Sometimes in the evenings we will go to the pool and i will lap swim for about 30 minutes. I also do open water swims about once a week or every other week in the evenings and my family has enjoyed going and playing at the beach while I swim the course. With my schedule, I end up with more unplanned "rest" days than I'd like (kids up in the middle of the night, late nights, and etc) but I'm not willing to sacrifice much family time to "makeup " a workout.

It's been a little difficult for me to get comfortable with this because I would like to workout much longer and harder but it's just a matter of priority at this point.

Every family and schedule is different.. I think I've gotten comfortable with the fact that a HIM or IM is not in my future for several years simy because I don't have the time to schedule the longer bike training... I'm shopping for a trainer now so maybe that will allow me to get more real long rides in in the dark hours.
2012-07-27 10:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL

Early mornings get a lot of work done then, when family is still sleeping etc. Then, i also do some at night when necessary (bike trainer).

Time management is important for those in training obviously.

2012-07-27 11:06 AM

User image

Veteran

triitoncemaybetwice - 2012-07-27 11:12 AM Always open to new ideas of how to balance workouts, work, and family. I workout 6-7 days a week, married and have 2 young boys (2 and 4 yrs). I often find myself taking my lunch hour for runs, 2 mornings up at 430 for swimming and longer runs, and weekend days off for longer bike rides. Runs range from 6-10 miles, rides are 70-120 mins. How is everyone else doing it

What time are you leaving for work and what time are you back from work?

2012-07-27 11:14 AM

User image

New user

Bike commuting.  It takes me 25 minutes each way to drive to/from work or 45 minutes on the bike.  That means every day I ride to work I'm getting 90 minutes on my bike at a cost of only 40 minutes of extra time.

2012-07-27 12:28 PM

User image

Expert

I run early morning.. like you. I am often up by 5 a.m. The best thing I ever did was purchase a great spinner off Craigslist. I paid 350 for a 1200 dollar spinner.

I set it up in my husband's office, got a computer shelf that fits on it.. and have a tv in front of me. 

60 minute spins go by .. effortlessly.. and I can cycle anytime w/o messing with my bicycle and  a trainer. I save my long bikes for the days my husband is off.. and get out the door at sunrise. I''m usually back just as everyone is getting up.

I go to bed at 9:30 p.m. most nights.

Also, I run during my son's karate and drum lesson.. That's a good hour twice a week.. I don't sit there during  his lesson.. but i come in a few minutes before it's over.. to watch.. 

Edited by KateTri1 2012-07-27 12:33 PM
2012-07-27 3:01 PM

User image

Utah
Early mornings and late night work outs, very simply put.  My kids hardly know I even do triathlons as I train almost exclusively when they are asleep, either after 8 pm, or before 7 am when they are up.  I am gone for an hour or so after they wake up for my long runs, but that is about it.  I also have a VERY supportive, understanding, and patient husband who couldn't give a rats arse about tris or running, but is my greatest cheerleader.  
2012-07-27 3:13 PM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Talk about a thread hitting this nail on the head. 

I have 3 boys.  8, 7, and 3.  I am lucky in that I can take over an hour for lunch to do a good pool workout or a 5-7 mile run and still be back to work in a reasonable time.  Almost every morning I'm either running or biking.  I try to get in 30 miles on the bike or 7 mile run.  All of course start before 5:00 AM. 

I've tried to be creative with some workouts too.  For example, we are going to a friends house to swim, as a family, tonight.  I know that will not be a workout.  But they live about 8 miles from us.  I'm going to run there and meet up with my wife and kids.  I plan to leave about 40 minutes before she does and it should work out pretty well time wise. 

Weekends are the days for long bike rides.  I have one scheduled tomorrow with a group of other family guys at 6AM.  We are hoping to get in 60-70 miles and be back by 9:30.  Most of the kids are awake and fed by then, but the day is not totally shot.  Then it's time to super dad things up and mow the grass, go to the pool, clean the garage, etc etc etc.

I have tried to do runs or rides after kids go to bed but that gets to be pretty late (and dangerous) on the bike expecially.

My wife is a trooper.  She understands this addiction of mine and has been supportive.  If we were going to fight everytime I went on a workout I would have to adjust my goals.  So far so good.

2012-07-27 3:22 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-07-27 3:27 PM
in reply to: #4334502

Expert

3.) I take advantage of my time at work.  I've been know to BT now and then.

According to my watch, it's 3:30 CST, on Friday and I work 8-5.  Is that considered stealing from your employer?

2012-07-27 3:31 PM
in reply to: #4334513

2012-07-27 3:40 PM

Veteran

great ideas

I have had a week of for me to re focus

but simular with 2 children under 3 its a challenge and i run my own company, so i go out early at the pool 530am knocking on the door and at work by 7am twice a week. get up very early saturday 4/430am so i can ride for 2-3 hours before the pool opens at 7am then 1 hour swim back home by 9am ready for the children. other mornings i am up very early run/walking etc . sundays is rest and family day

2012-07-27 3:47 PM

Expert
Cincinnati

I only have a husband, no kids as of yet, but it's still hard to make sure he gets to see me more than in passing. Getting up early doesn't work for me, since I'd just end up going to bed earlier and we'd lose that evening time.

Here's what I do, though:

-Try to schedule rest days to optimize husband time. It doesn't always work, but I'm going to try to schedule a short work day (my schedule has some flexibility) once a week so I can do my long run that day and take Saturdays off. Saturdays we can spend the whole day together, as opposed to me having a rest day when he's at work.

-Lots of quick, but healthy, meals. Leftovers, repurposing food (like making a whole chicken and then using the cooked chicken in a casserole, soup or salad), chopping veggies ahead of time, etc. so that less of my non-workout time is spent slaving in the kitchen. Meal planning is a must.

-Try to bike to the gym or bike to group rides if I want extra bike time. (Biking to work is not an option for me.)

-Be willing to sacrifice the occasional workout for family time. It won't kill your training. Promise.

-BOUNDARIES, with EVERYTHING. No, I don't have to do the workout volume that my friends are doing, or ride the route the group wants to ride because it's 45 minutes one way from my house. No, I'm not picking up extra work hours. No, I'm not going out drinking until 3 AM.

-Be flexible with your training. It used to be that if I couldn't bike or swim for an hour (or whatever it said on the plan), I wouldn't do it at all. Now if I'm running late to the gym or only have a little time to squeeze in a workout, I'll take it. Better than nothing.

2012-07-27 4:20 PM
in reply to: #4334519

Expert
FoggyGoggles - 2012-07-27 3:31 PM
siouxcityhawk - 2012-07-27 3:27 PM

3.) I take advantage of my time at work.  I've been know to BT now and then.

According to my watch, it's 3:30 CST, on Friday and I work 8-5.  Is that considered stealing from your employer?

Nope... I'm hanging with my little man today. He's doing laps on his bike while I do this!Cool

Little misunderstanding..... I'm the one stealing from my employer.. Embarassed

2012-07-27 10:50 PM

2012-07-28 5:23 AM

Philadelphia
im all over that indepenantly wealthy single person with no kids idea except the independantly wealthy part........oh yea and the single part............ummmm and the no kids part......oh well it was a nice try for a few seconds, saturday 6 am run here i come
2012-07-28 6:45 AM
in reply to: #4335189

Expert

triitoncemaybetwice - 2012-07-28 6:23 AM im all over that indepenantly wealthy single person with no kids idea except the independantly wealthy part........oh yea and the single part............ummmm and the no kids part......oh well it was a nice try for a few seconds, saturday 6 am run here i come

LOL

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ways to balance workouts, work, and family tips and suggestions Rss Feed  

of 1