General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2013-06-29 5:24 AM
in reply to: kaburns1214

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread
Originally posted by kaburns1214

If anyone is interested and hasn't seen / ran the run course, while we were in LP last weekend we took some nice video of the entire run course. Here's the video with my written commentary (I've run the course several times):

http://somerandomthursday.blogspot.com/2013/06/ironman-lake-placid-...

Very nice job Kelly! Thank you for posting this.

Looks total different than race week.

2013-06-29 5:28 AM
in reply to: alicia123

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by alicia123

Originally posted by BrotherTri

Originally posted by spie34

First of all...I just made a complete jerk out of myself by posting about my foot issue as a new thread in the Iron distance race groups and cant figure out how to delete....oopsie...If anyone can help with that I'd appreciate it.

The second thing is what I was really hoping for advice about. I have a hot spot on the ball of my foot that starts about 50 miles into the bike. I have tried new shoes, made just for me insoles...you name it. Its actually affecting my long bikes and my ability to run after a bike. Any suggestions?

Hi, have you looked into cleat placement? Shimming your cleats? I had similar issues and when I got fitted to my bike I was telling my fitter that I was having a few issues and he moved my cleats which helped resolve my problems. You didn't say you did anything with your cleats so thinking maybe that is something you can try.

I havent moved my cleats so I will try that! Thank you! Did you move them toward the arch or the toe?

Moving your cleats should be done by the bike fitter. If you're not sure you can missalign your joints and cause more problems.

Hi James! I actually have a bike fit appointment scheduled for tomorrow morning. Its a man who has a fantastic reputation but bit pricey. I've been putting it off not wanting to spend the cash but I realize its necessary. I also ordered new shoes- Giro. They advertise no hot spots and the ability to make a perfect fit through the placement of the adjustment straps. I figure I have 3-4 weeks to get used to it. It can't be any worse than my situation now! I will have the bike fitter take a look at the cleat placement and make any adjustments.

Alicia very glad to here this. I hope they get you fixed up.

btw

What peddles are you using?

2013-06-29 5:37 AM
in reply to: kararuns729

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by kararuns729

Anyone else in here just trying to make the cutoffs? This is my first Ironman and am starting to get nervous! Ahh!

Hi,

Welcome!

You may surprise yourself and finish well ahead of the cutoff. I know lots of people that their goal was cutoff. They did the training based on their life permits and finished well.

Good luck!
2013-06-29 6:58 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Thank you James! I hope that's the case with me...I guess we'll see in a few weeks here! Best of luck!
2013-06-30 7:48 PM

Regular

Anyone else in here just trying to make the cutoffs? This is my first Ironman and am starting to get nervous! Ahh!

Yes, I will be struggling with making the cut-off time. I keep riding hills to try and pick up speed on the bike, but obviously I'm not doing something right. I've rode a loop of the course and have not made the miles in the time given. I've done three half triathlons and have made the cut-offs so...

Running has been difficult with a torn meniscus. I will give it my best and see what happens. I think I can, I think I can--that will be my mantra getting up those hills!! Best of luck all! Is it too early to ask everyone what they are putting in their special needs bags?

Thanks,
Denise
2013-06-30 9:04 PM

User image

Veteran
The Cold North

i started this journey with grand plans of a great day. I'm not concerned about cutoffs for the swim or bike, but I will be heading into LP with 2 weeks of run training, coming back from a stress fracture. Needless to say, I'm very concerned about the marathon, and SO disappointed that this won't be the race I was hoping for. My best case scenario now is a 1 minute run/walk combo until km 35, and then hopefully be able to pick it up a little for the finish.

But yes, concerned about the run cutoffs.

2013-06-30 9:11 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

Thank you James - I will call them.
2013-07-01 10:01 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by BrotherTri Ok gang, it's 30 days and a wake up. I am sure most are hitting some very long training days now. Do worry, harden up, get it done and it will all be over soon. The pay off is in sight. It will absolutely be worth it when you cross that line. For Me: My training year has been real interesting. I have gone from half iron to half iron races with about a month in between. Now on to Ironman Lake Placid for the 3rd time in another month. I have tons of base training and a few years of experience. Not the kind of race year for most. I seem to be recovering well from each half iron. Then spool up the long stuff keeping the intensity in check. I just wish my long run would come around. My frist half iron May 19th went well in the swim and bike. I though the run was going to go as equally well. But, me and running on rocks stopped that. I still placed in my AG. I just finished half iron Mont-Tremblant 70.3 this past Sunday. Swim was strong 90/2051 it could have been better but I had to make a few navigational corrections. The bike was very good for me as well over the 2700ft of climbing. I really doubted myself with the power on the bike. A talk with good friend (Fred) made me believe in myself again. Run went better than expected. The course had a few hills and half of it was on a nice soft path. I finished well, despite having to dig very hard at mile 11. I pull off a 1:51 and I know thats not fast but a good run for me. Finishing time for Mont-Tremblant 70.3 was 5:07:21 Now onto Ironman Lake Placid. I won't post my predicted times yet, although it's more of a wish list. My goal is to finish happy and heathly under 10:43. Now we just need to get Rusty back to this thread to get the bin going.

Ha! Still here James, just sitting in the draft of the group.....

Anybody else get really excited when they saw this in their training log this morning?

july

Edited by TankBoy 2013-07-01 10:02 AM
2013-07-01 10:14 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

New user
Ha that calendar looks scary now. I'm a week behind on training so everything will get compressed into the next 10 days. Luckily I have a 3 day weekend coming up.
2013-07-01 1:15 PM
in reply to: erincs

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Originally posted by erincs

i started this journey with grand plans of a great day. I'm not concerned about cutoffs for the swim or bike, but I will be heading into LP with 2 weeks of run training, coming back from a stress fracture. Needless to say, I'm very concerned about the marathon, and SO disappointed that this won't be the race I was hoping for. My best case scenario now is a 1 minute run/walk combo until km 35, and then hopefully be able to pick it up a little for the finish.

But yes, concerned about the run cutoffs.

I have some plans for this race, who knows what is going to happen. Honestly, I always worry about the cutoff on the bike. I am not a strong biker. But I just kind of do the best I can and hope it all works out. I feel better about it this time about it than I did last time (and I made the cutoff then). But the timer still sorta plays in the back of my head.

27 days!!!!!!
2013-07-01 2:45 PM

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
Originally posted by TankBoy

Originally posted by BrotherTri Ok gang, it's 30 days and a wake up. I am sure most are hitting some very long training days now. Do worry, harden up, get it done and it will all be over soon. The pay off is in sight. It will absolutely be worth it when you cross that line. For Me: My training year has been real interesting. I have gone from half iron to half iron races with about a month in between. Now on to Ironman Lake Placid for the 3rd time in another month. I have tons of base training and a few years of experience. Not the kind of race year for most. I seem to be recovering well from each half iron. Then spool up the long stuff keeping the intensity in check. I just wish my long run would come around. My frist half iron May 19th went well in the swim and bike. I though the run was going to go as equally well. But, me and running on rocks stopped that. I still placed in my AG. I just finished half iron Mont-Tremblant 70.3 this past Sunday. Swim was strong 90/2051 it could have been better but I had to make a few navigational corrections. The bike was very good for me as well over the 2700ft of climbing. I really doubted myself with the power on the bike. A talk with good friend (Fred) made me believe in myself again. Run went better than expected. The course had a few hills and half of it was on a nice soft path. I finished well, despite having to dig very hard at mile 11. I pull off a 1:51 and I know thats not fast but a good run for me. Finishing time for Mont-Tremblant 70.3 was 5:07:21 Now onto Ironman Lake Placid. I won't post my predicted times yet, although it's more of a wish list. My goal is to finish happy and heathly under 10:43. Now we just need to get Rusty back to this thread to get the bin going.

Ha! Still here James, just sitting in the draft of the group.....

Anybody else get really excited when they saw this in their training log this morning?

july

Crazy, huh? I flipped the calender on my desk blotter over and saw "IMLP" and gulped.

2013-07-01 9:12 PM
in reply to: jcnipper

User image

Regular
NYC
What the? Who the? When the? Where the heck did the time go???????
I'm in the middle of a DC style freak out right now!

We still have a couple weeks left of hard training and then some taper before GO TIME. Although I am feeling on the cusp of overwhelmed with keeping the family, work, training, eating and sleeping in balance, I'm hoping to keep healthy and motivated these next two weeks and get the last few long/quality swim/bikes/runs in. Stay healthy everyone. Home stretch is here.
2013-07-01 10:00 PM
in reply to: jmagnyc

User image

Regular
So what to wear on the bike? I will use a 400 mile desoto bib on the bike. What type of top should i wear with that? Also how do most of you set up bike
Water bottle between handle bars.
Preform in down tube bottle
Tube,co2 and leavers under set
Maybe a bottle in back with gels, salt taps ect.
2013-07-02 9:28 AM
in reply to: deadman

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by deadman

So what to wear on the bike? I will use a 400 mile desoto bib on the bike. What type of top should i wear with that? Also how do most of you set up bike

I wear a tri short and tri tank top under normal to hot conditions. I may wear a full zip up cycling jersey if the weather is cool (below 60 degrees) or rainy for the bike.

Then again I training with this gear. I also train with regular cycle clothing, bibs, arm warmers and such.

My suggestion is wear what you train in and what is comfortable.

I have 2 bottle cages on my bike. One in between the aero bars and one on the frame. I use a bento box with my nutrition. I have a very tightly compacted tubular tire in my seat bag, two CO2 charges with nozzle, a razor blade, a penny, a crack pipe, a tire iron and can of sealant.

I want to further add don't try anything new on race day. Have things set up well before race day and test it out on long rides.
2013-07-02 9:40 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont

I wear a one piece, sleeveless tri-suit from start to finish. I'll probably unzip and drop a glob of chamois cream onto the chamois in T1.
Socks for the ride.
Change of socks for the run (cool max for hot, merino wool for wet).
Hat for the run.

Edited to Add: Vaseline for the feet prior to run socks.

Two bottles of perpetuem behind the seat. Water in between the aero bars. Nothing on the frame.
Extra tube and CO2 under seat in between the two bottles.
Dark Speedworks bento box with tire levers, Hammer Gels, and a small flip-top container of S-Caps if I need them (rare).
Two frozen bottles of perpetuem and a Snickers bar in bike special needs (extra tube, extra CO2).
Extra Perpetuem powder also in special needs just in case I drop a bottle.

Edited by BernardDogs 2013-07-02 9:46 AM
2013-07-02 11:19 AM
in reply to: BernardDogs

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Bib #'s are up!!! I am #713!!!

26 days??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2013-07-02 11:30 AM
in reply to: deadman

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine

I wear a Soas tri kit that I have worn a few times on rides that is comfortable and fits me well - I will be wearing this for the race. If it is cold I will have arm warmers + a zip bike top if needed. I go sockless on the bike, have done this on all of my rides so far without an issue. I wear socks on the run.

I have an aero bottle, I only use water and salt stick, Amrita bars (~200 cals each) and gels. Pick up what I need on the course after that.

My flat kit is in a water bottle in the bottle cage of my bike. It has 2 spare tubes + CO2 & levers. And my lucky $1 bill.

In my bike special needs I will have spare tube + spare CO2 (in the case I use any of that on the first loop. Hope not, but just in case. My friend Jill had 3 flats when she did IMLP in 2011 and was thankful she did this.), Amrita+gels, and something treatish I haven't decided yet. I feel like I am forgetting something now...

For the run, same kit, but spray feet with TriSlide before putting socks on. Putting in extra shorts because of my wardrobe malfunction last time. Will only change if parts of me are hanging out that I don't want out. Gels and SaltStick for the run. Deciding on Amrita... Extra socks in my run special needs bag. If it is hot I will wear a cap that I can put ice inside to keep cool instead of a visor.

I think I am forgetting something here too. Good think we have 26 days to figure it out!

Stay healthy!

Mandy
2013-07-02 12:13 PM
in reply to: manfarr1974

User image

Veteran
The Cold North
I'm #722. I hope that sounds like a lucky one.
2013-07-02 1:06 PM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont

I like the chronology of that.
2013-07-03 8:20 PM
in reply to: BernardDogs

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
2013-07-04 11:53 AM
in reply to: jcnipper

Regular
Brighton MA
1202!!

2013-07-04 1:28 PM

User image

I feel good about the swim and the run, but the bike it what worries me most. I'm trying to work on hills; that's what slows me down the most. Best of luck!!
2013-07-04 1:31 PM
in reply to: manfarr1974

User image

Same here! (PS I think you and I talked on Twitter about this!!) The timer is always in the back of my head too...at least with the bike. We can do this though...I know it!! See you out there?!
2013-07-04 8:41 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Well, it's a little later than usual, but it appears that the annual unsubstantiated rumors about the current water temps of Mirror Lake have finally begun! Here we go - WHEEEEEEEEEEE!
2013-07-05 4:10 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by TankBoy

Well, it's a little later than usual, but it appears that the annual unsubstantiated rumors about the current water temps of Mirror Lake have finally begun! Here we go - WHEEEEEEEEEEE!

I heard with all the rain the North East has gotten the swim start has moved to main street. Good news it will be wetsuit legal but you have to pay a parking toll to start.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 59