General Discussion Triathlon Talk » stability shoe vs neutral shoe Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-14 3:30 PM

User image

Wichita
Subject: stability shoe vs neutral shoe

I didn't know there was a difference until a few years ago when someone told me to go to a true running store to get fitted for the right shoe.  Once I did that I will never buy shoes from a non-running store again.

Back at the end of April I ran a half marathon.  My next two runs after the outside of my left foot hurt like hell.  I decided to go see if it were the shoes.  I had been wearing a neutral shoe and they said with my form I should be wearing a stability shoe so I switched.  My feet have been great ever since then.

Last Saturday I had my long run of 17 miles in the morning and a fun race at night called the Glow Run.  I knew I wasn't going to run hard so I did them both.  Since my stability shoes had been worn that morning I decided to switch back and use my old ones because they had under 300 miles on them.  My foot and everything was fine.

My question for those that might know more about the effects of the shoes is would it be ok to switch back and forth more regularly?  

2012-08-14 3:37 PM
in reply to: #4363189

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach
Subject: RE: stability shoe vs neutral shoe

I switch shoes frequently and I think it may have helped me develop musculature and even connective tissues to be more adaptive and less injury prone.

I also wear a "no-drop" shoe brand as a casual shoe and I think that may have helped with distress in the back of my lower leg.

On my slower, longer runs I usually wear something high and stable- a very traditional motion-controlish shoe. On quicker, shorter runs I will wear a cushioned shoe, a racing shoe or something with less specific guidance.

I think switching shoes may help, and I'm reasonably certain that, in my case, it doesn't hurt.

2012-08-14 3:59 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
I'm with Tom.

I wear a low drop (10 mm) neutral shoe (NB MT101) for runs up to about 10K and a stability shoe (Brooks GTS11 for pavement / Brooks Cascadia 6 for trails) above that. I have noticed better overall leg strength (specifically the calves) and improved wear pattern on all my shoes once I added the MT101s in the mix.
2012-08-14 4:04 PM

User image

Wichita
Thanks guys.  That is what I was going to try, neutral on the shorter runs and stability on the longer runs.  I think I am going to go for it and see if it works.  Mainly because I don't want to waste all the miles left on my old shoes.  Cool
2012-08-14 4:22 PM
in reply to: #4363271

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

npenner02 - 2012-08-14 4:04 PM Thanks guys.  That is what I was going to try, neutral on the shorter runs and stability on the longer runs.  I think I am going to go for it and see if it works.  Mainly because I don't want to waste all the miles left on my old shoes.  Cool

I try to never wear the same pair of shoes twice in a week.  So at any given time I have 3-4 pairs of running shoes I am using.  The oldest ones are typically the "short run" shoes.  When they finally die the next oldest pair becomes the short run shoes and so on and so forth.  I also have a variety of stability and neutral...much for the reasons Tom mentioned...developing different muscles and such.

I'm convinced that wearing different model/style shoes during the week REALLY helps prevent running injury.

2012-08-14 7:26 PM
in reply to: #4363203

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
Tom Demerly. - 2012-08-14 3:37 PM

I switch shoes frequently and I think it may have helped me develop musculature and even connective tissues to be more adaptive and less injury prone.

I also wear a "no-drop" shoe brand as a casual shoe and I think that may have helped with distress in the back of my lower leg.

On my slower, longer runs I usually wear something high and stable- a very traditional motion-controlish shoe. On quicker, shorter runs I will wear a cushioned shoe, a racing shoe or something with less specific guidance.

I think switching shoes may help, and I'm reasonably certain that, in my case, it doesn't hurt.

I agree and do same; however if you went from one extreme to another between shoes ( anti- pronation shoe vs anti supination corrective shoe) it would hurt you. Switching to a more neutral shoe should not be too bad. I'm doing it now between some neutral Brooks and stability Asics. All fine.

2012-08-17 3:01 PM

Veteran
Niagara Region
My first go around running was 14 years ago to make a long story short I had the wrong shoe and my knee killed me. Went to a great running store they watched me run and recommended a shoe for me. I ran half marathon distance in that shoe and never had a knee problem. Fast forward 14 years my son is now into running he develops pain in the back of knee. I take him to the same store they video him running, then ecommend a shoe and he has no more pain. Go to a real running store with people who know there stuff it is worth it!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » stability shoe vs neutral shoe Rss Feed