General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Poor student, new to triathlon, need a bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-17 1:25 AM

Boulder, Colorado
Subject: Poor student, new to triathlon, need a bike

Title says the gist of it.  I'm trying my first (sprint) triathlon right outside Atlanta in a couple weeks, and I finally built up my endurance to swim 500 yards straight.

I'm not going to be competitive in my first few triathlons, and I don't have the money to buy a nice triathlon bike, but I'd like something fairly cheap that won't kill my time.  Is there something from walmart.com or a similar site that you would recommend?  I see a bunch of old Schwins on craigslist for about $100, are those worth getting?

2012-08-17 2:06 AM
in reply to: #4367462

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Poor student, new to triathlon, need a bike
It's much better to get a used road bike than a wal-mart bike imo.

To start out, just about anything will work though, I've seen people do Ironman Canada on 50 dollar garage sale bikes with just some new rubber and brake pads on them.

Don't worry about spending too much now, but make sure what you do get is in proper mechanical order so that you don't put more into the bike than what you paid, in order to make it safe.
2012-08-17 7:06 AM
in reply to: #4367462

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Poor student, new to triathlon, need a bike

Have you thought about either borrowing or renting a bike for your first race?

If you do decide to buy something, I'd second the advice to look for something used rather than a cheapo new bike.

Mark

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Poor student, new to triathlon, need a bike Rss Feed