General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike intensity in a HIM compared to a full Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-20 8:12 AM

User image

Regular
Akron
Subject: bike intensity in a HIM compared to a full

I pretty much kept it in zone 2 for IMLP and now I am doing a HIM in a couple weeks. Can I push the riding into zone 3 a little more for the Half? I rode 72 miles at the high end of zone 3 over the wknd and felt like I could run pretty decent afterwards, but I didn't run so I'm not sure what the legs would have felt like.

What type of intensity is your bike in a HIM compared to a full?

2012-08-21 10:56 AM
in reply to: #4370800

User image

Veteran
Irvine
Subject: RE: bike intensity in a HIM compared to a full
I've only done one of each, so I'm no expert, but I found that my level of effort for the bike in the Half was at a higher level. The battery in y heart rate monitor was dead just before my Half, so I don't know my zones. I'd suggest doing a hard bike/run brick of perhaps a 2 hour ride in mid to high zone 3 followed immediately by a 1 hour run at your expected race pace for the Half. This should be a good indicator of the impact the harder bike effort will have on your run. My half was before my full. The half was insanely hilly and my fitness was still improving. I did the half as a "fitness test" about 2 months prior to my full. Thus, it was in the middle of my full training plan so I did no taper other than following the "race week" plan for the half distance. Was back on my Full training plan 2 days after the half. Good luck
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike intensity in a HIM compared to a full Rss Feed