General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need some wetsuit advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-21 11:26 PM

Subject: Need some wetsuit advice

Hey all! So I just found this forum and it seems like an informative bunch and I could use some advice. I am completing my second sprint tri this weekend and then my first olympic tri mid-september (Tri-Rock in Lake Geneva, WI). Apparently the Lake Geneva tri highly recommends a wetsuit due to the cold water. So I am looking to get one without breaking the bank. I am competing as an Athena and typically wear a 12/L. I am a strong swimmer so have always been more comfortable without one on so am planning to go sleeveless.

I was able to try a WL blueseventy sleeveless one on and it fit pretty good. A little tight pushing down on the shoulders but think I could just get it pulled up more and also will loosen in the water. This was the only brand to try on at the store so that was all I could check out. I can rent it for the tri for $50 and then if I decide to buy it use it towards. Problem is it is $275 and I was hoping to spend closer to 150. especially thanks to a recently unplanned car repair.

I have found an orca sleeveless one in my price range but I don't have a place to try it on first and would be ordering it online. Anyone have a comment on the sizing differences between the two? Or is there a brand that fits similar to the blueseventy that I might find a better deal online?

Thanks!

2012-08-21 11:41 PM
in reply to: #4374397

User image

Master
Cypress, CA
Subject: RE: Need some wetsuit advice

Welcome to BT!

Check out Xterra, there's a standing 50% off BT deal so you can probably get a suit within your budget.  I can't comment on the women's sizing but the men's sizing charts are pretty accurate. 

2012-08-22 8:56 AM

DeSoto two piece wetsuits are highly recommended by users.  The two piece design allows you to mix and match the sizes for top and bottoms.   Great customer service.
2012-08-22 8:59 AM
in reply to: #4374704

User image

Extreme Veteran
Torrance, CA

At $150 - you're better off hitting up ebay or looking at the classifieds on here or Slowtwitch.

The Xterra suit is a great option too.

If you're not used to cold water - I would skip going sleeveless.

2012-08-22 2:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
i really like my Blueseventy and yes, you need to pull, pull hard to get everything up high. They're made to be flex in shoulders. good luck. Yo'll love wetsuit.
2012-08-22 7:20 PM

User image

New user

I wear an F2R (Fit 2 Race) wetsuit and I absolutely love it!!  I don't fit into any of the "brands" out there as an athena.  F2R suits come in like 17 sizes and their customer service is great!!!  I rented my first suit from them for 45 bucks and then when I rented the second one, they offered to sell it to me at 50% off as a returning customer.  I jumped on it and got the suit for less than $150.

2012-08-22 11:11 PM

Thanks for all the advice! Definitely wish I had found this forum last year before my first tri!

Regarding cold water - I don't have a problem with it as I typically swim in Lake Michigan without a wetsuit. I just figured since they highly recommend it for the Lake Geneva one and with the added distance some extra buoyancy couldn't hurt. I was planning to go sleeveless because I like to be able to feel the water - and since I can't afford the fancy wetsuits that would help with that I figured sleeveless would be better for me. Also, the last time I wore a wetsuit (granted it was probably 8 years ago or so) I didn't care for the sleeves and almost felt too buoyant in the water.

the Xterra is definitely in my price range and their sizing chart is pretty similar to blueseventy so a good option. I realized that the Chicago Multisport Expo is here this weekend so am going to check it out and see what more info I can get on other brands.

regarding the desoto - the two piece aspect is intriguing. and will definitely check out the f2r ones too.

sounds like the orca one online is probably not worth the deal then since no one has mentioned it?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need some wetsuit advice Rss Feed