General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lance makes statement about USADA charges. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2012-08-24 6:00 AM
in reply to: #4378025

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2012-08-24 6:09 AM
in reply to: #4378028

Veteran
Lake Monticello, Virginia
Subject: RE: Lance makes statement about USADA charges.

guppie58 - 2012-08-24 5:57 AM It's comical and sad listening to mainstream sports reporters talking about this.  They really have no idea what's going on and are saying USADA has stripped LA of his titles already. 

Exactly my thoughts as I listened to ESPN radio on my way to work this morning. "Admission of guilt" was a phrase the reporter threw out. As of yet, I don't see any evidence of admission. Typical sensationalized reporting from news sources hungry for the "scoop".

IF he did take PEDs (and I am not qualified to make that judgement either way), the broad brush picture shows he was the best 7x at beating the next PED user, ie Jan Ullrich (by his own admission). See http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/feb/09/tour-de-france-jan-ullrich-banned. I still admire Lance Armstrong for what he accomplished as well as the others who take on this gruelling event. All are gifted athletes, all are fierce competitors, all are trying to get an edge. That said, taking PEDs is not the way to go regardless of outcome.

Edited by T1 rider 2012-08-24 6:12 AM
2012-08-24 6:13 AM

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
powerman - 2012-08-24 7:49 AM

So what jurisdiction does USADA have in this? The ICU has yet to weigh in and the TDF isn't a USADA event. Do you know if the USADA has the authority to take his titles, or is it just then taking his eligibility and therefore not recognising his wins?

There are some things that I'm not 100% sure of and I doubt that anyone is since this is we are in uncharted territory. However, as far as how things work for anti-doping is that every International Federation that is part of the Olympics (and several others) are WADA signatories, meaning that any athlete who competes in an event that falls under the authority of the IF is part of the WADA testing pool and can be tested and sanctioned by WADA. However, every country then has a National Anti-Doping Authority and most testing that is completed and sanctions that are levied are completed under the authority of WADA but by a NADA. In addition, any National Governing Body that is associated with an IF must also agree to the authority of and to abide by the rules of WADA and the NADAs. Every athlete who competes in an event sanctioned by the NGB is therefore also part of the testing pool and subject to sanctions should they fail an anti-doping test.

Now, the fact that the UCI and USAC both sided with Lance would tell me that either they don't agree with the relationship between the IF/NGB and WADA/USADA (although it is strange that they didn't deal with these issues before one of their sports biggest names was subject to an investigation under rules that he agreed to compete under) or they are very scared about what will come out about their complicity in doping in the sport.

As to his titles, I wouldn't be surprised if he keeps the titles. The podiums (and depper) in each year are filled with admitted and implicated dopers so I would be surprised to see him stripped of titles unless they simply leave them vacant. Also, it is my understanding that since the TdF, while being the key race in road cycling, is not directly a UCI event, that the organizers have some discretion in what they do (see Riis). Now, had he won a World Championship or Olympic medal in this timeframe, then those would be stripped since they fall directly under the UCI.

Shane
2012-08-24 6:16 AM
in reply to: #4377937

Bronze member
powerman - 2012-08-24 12:11 AM
Left Brain - 2012-08-23 11:03 PM
powerman - 2012-08-23 11:58 PM

He said a while ago ina Men's Fittness article that he was done fighting doping charges. That was before USADA charged him. Then he fought it.

The case he brought in U.S. court was weak. Even I knew he did not have a case. It has nothing to do with criminal charges and the Constitution. The court had no jurisdiction in this arbitration between him and USADA that he agreed to as a proffesional athlete.

As a strategy, one of the best ways to defeat an opponent is not to fight. USADA rules guilty in his absence. No testimony is aired, no evidence is presented and validated. Lance hopes that UCI does not strip his titles and the other agencys do not side with USADA and uphold the decision.

The most intriguing thing of all of this to me is the current failed passport test. The process that it goes through and the way they come up with a "false" so to speak, is really good... and it is what is being used right now.... the fact that USADA wants to go back to strip titles overshadows the fact that they got a "positive" on the passport. If they would have just left it at that... just a "results consistent with" and then handed out a current penalty to his current standing as a pro athlete... they could have won that. But they got greedy and tried to leverage that into the whole kitchen sink from 12 years ago. BS if you ask me.

Not much to argue with there.......still, he's screwed, and he knows it....and as much as we can call BS.....we know, because it doesn't pass what WE KNOW......ask Barry Bonds.

The best play is the one he's making....it may save his foundation....I certainly hope so.  I will continue to contribute.

Pretty much. We already know the evidence. The trial of public opinion has already been held and it just does not matter. The case against Lance by the USADA does absolutely nothing for Cycling... nothing what so ever. What does it do.... if you win the TDF 7 times and are later found guilty of doping you will be striped... OK... currently that only applies to one human being out of 6 billion.

So ya, Lance doped and he is screwed... what is the point? What does it accomplish now? The baseball players were still active when they testified... and they still do not know what to do about the records set. Lance can be stripped... but he will be the only cyclist to win the TDF 7 times and later be stripped. So what? It's just all so pointless now.

I absolutely agree with everything you just said in that last paragraph. It's what I've been wondering all along - what's the point of all this?

2012-08-24 6:30 AM
in reply to: #4377861

Brisbane, Australia

As stated, I don't think that the UCI will strip Lance of his Tour titles as it will then have the impossible task of declaring a winner from the 'also-rans' who have subsequently been found guilty of doping or are under heavy suspision. Jan Ullrich, Marco Pantani, Beloki, Virenque, Basso etc -who out of this list would be considered a 'clean' winner. It would be a complete mess and hipocritical to award victory to one of these guys if Lance is stripped unless of course they award no winners for those years.

I think that Lance was on the juice for sure, they all were. Look at the times and power outputs for the hors category climbs during that period that aren't even close to being matched these days. It is what it is, he won 7 titles during an era when most of them probably doped. However, in this instance maybe the legend of his accomplishments is more important than the truth to not only the sport of cycling but history and his stature in general. They should just let it be........

2012-08-24 6:35 AM
in reply to: #4378031

Elite
Fred D - 2012-08-24 5:00 AM
powerman - 2012-08-24 6:49 AM

Fred D - 2012-08-24 4:43 AM All tdf Titles are gone and I would have to think his WTC future gone as well. There will lots of discussion on the right or wrongness of this, but my hope is that somewhere in the near future we will simply stop talking about him. Whether you love him, hate him or in between I suspect most of us have some degree of LA fatigue....

So what jurisdiction does USADA have in this? The ICU has yet to weigh in and the TDF isn't a USADA event. Do you know if the USADA has the authority to take his titles, or is it just then taking his eligibility and therefore not recognising his wins?

. I don't think they do, but there is an assumption the the international agencies will follow suit IME. Do you think he will end up keeping his titles?

Well I was visiting with Google... WADA backs USADA. So USADA is the sanctioning body for drug testing protocol under the cycling federation. UCI says it has jurisdiction for sanctions... but who knows.

The bad thing is... when you take your ball and go home because you no longer think you have to play the game... it usually does not end well.

At least right now LAs lawyer sent a letter to USADA saying that he is not cooperating because there is a question of jurisdiction and they need to work that out before LA will play the game... ya, that does not work. He very well be stripped.

2012-08-24 6:41 AM
in reply to: #4378040

Elite

gsmacleod - 2012-08-24 5:13 AM
powerman - 2012-08-24 7:49 AM So what jurisdiction does USADA have in this? The ICU has yet to weigh in and the TDF isn't a USADA event. Do you know if the USADA has the authority to take his titles, or is it just then taking his eligibility and therefore not recognising his wins?
There are some things that I'm not 100% sure of and I doubt that anyone is since this is we are in uncharted territory. However, as far as how things work for anti-doping is that every International Federation that is part of the Olympics (and several others) are WADA signatories, meaning that any athlete who competes in an event that falls under the authority of the IF is part of the WADA testing pool and can be tested and sanctioned by WADA. However, every country then has a National Anti-Doping Authority and most testing that is completed and sanctions that are levied are completed under the authority of WADA but by a NADA. In addition, any National Governing Body that is associated with an IF must also agree to the authority of and to abide by the rules of WADA and the NADAs. Every athlete who competes in an event sanctioned by the NGB is therefore also part of the testing pool and subject to sanctions should they fail an anti-doping test. Now, the fact that the UCI and USAC both sided with Lance would tell me that either they don't agree with the relationship between the IF/NGB and WADA/USADA (although it is strange that they didn't deal with these issues before one of their sports biggest names was subject to an investigation under rules that he agreed to compete under) or they are very scared about what will come out about their complicity in doping in the sport. As to his titles, I wouldn't be surprised if he keeps the titles. The podiums (and depper) in each year are filled with admitted and implicated dopers so I would be surprised to see him stripped of titles unless they simply leave them vacant. Also, it is my understanding that since the TdF, while being the key race in road cycling, is not directly a UCI event, that the organizers have some discretion in what they do (see Riis). Now, had he won a World Championship or Olympic medal in this timeframe, then those would be stripped since they fall directly under the UCI. Shane

Thanks Shane. And I agree with the bolded... even if UCI has a bit of a claim, it still does not sound right. Another can or worms and inconsistencies.

2012-08-24 7:03 AM

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
powerman - 2012-08-24 12:49 PM

As far as I understand, USADA is the US national agency under WADA and WADA adopts the decisions made by the national agencies. UCI has subscribed to WADA rules and as such TdF being an UCI event falls under WADA rules and sactions. That's how the link to stripping the TdF titles is made, so it's not officially USADA who strips his titles, but as their decision is adopted by WADA UCI have no choice. 

Now, at each point it's possible that some organisation may object or refuse. I read in one news source that UCI had attempted to become part in the USADA process against LA but USADA refused claiming that UCI had no credibility with a history of cover up and working against effective doping control. That's what the news source wrote.

This coincides with my own impression back when I still cared to follow TdF, that forces were working more in perceived commercial interests than in the interest of the sport. 

BR

2012-08-24 7:24 AM

Veteran
Grapevine, TX

If a child grows into an athlete today, and enters the world stage, we're reasonably confident that any doping will be found.  But that child will have grown up in a world where even in the back circles it is definitely not "OK" to dope.  

Contrast that when we grew up (I'm of similar age to Lance).  That was definitely NOT the case.  It was "ok" as long as you didn't get caught.

Enter the crusaders who 1) wanted to change that fast and 2) wanted to go back into the past to make it right.  On 1, totally agree.  On 2, totally disagree.  

These are power hungry fanatics whose eyes are bloodshed red and can't see context from images.  But what makes it especially stupid is that they put in good rules (testing) and then decided those rules were invalid, that they would go after someone on the basis of hearsay.  I read a statement from the USADA that Lance not fighting is tantamount to admitting guilt.  REALLY?  This was said in the USA?  Crazy crusaders - they are acting like the Spanish inquisition.

Obviously, I'm a Lance fan, because I"m looking at the facts of the case, at the facts of his accomplishments way before TDF, and at the facts of his life.

Edited by FranzZemen 2012-08-24 7:26 AM
2012-08-24 7:26 AM
in reply to: #4378028

Regular
Wisconsin

guppie58 - 2012-08-24 5:57 AM It's comical and sad listening to mainstream sports reporters talking about this.  They really have no idea what's going on and are saying USADA has stripped LA of his titles already. 

X2

2012-08-24 7:49 AM
in reply to: #4378096

Champion
FranzZemen - 2012-08-24 9:24 AM

But what makes it especially stupid is that they put in good rules (testing) and then decided those rules were invalid, that they would go after someone on the basis of hearsay.

If it was only hearsay then it wouldn't have gone this far. The USADA knows that heresay would not be sufficent to win if this had gone to arbitration (and then on to the CAS).

I read a statement from the USADA that Lance not fighting is tantamount to admitting guilt.  REALLY?  This was said in the USA?

Probably worthwhile to look into how anti-doping arbitration works. If an athlete is faced with sanctions, they have two choices; accept the sanctions or go to arbitration. If they choose option one, they are accepting the sanctions where if they do not, then they going to present their case to a three person arbitration panel. Very similar to pleading guilty versus not guilty.

Obviously, I'm a Lance fan, because I"m looking at the facts of the case, at the facts of his accomplishments way before TDF, and at the facts of his life.

How are you looking at the facts of the case? Very little of what the USADA has at this point has been released. Should Brunyel go through with arbitration then we'll learn the details but if he decides to accept his ban as well, we may never know.

Shane

2012-08-24 8:04 AM

Elite
Venture Industries,

One of the most horrible results of this entire sordid tale is that we will no be forced to hear from Greg LeMond non-stop, and how this proves, yet again, how he (in his own mind) is/was/and ever will be the greatest cycling champion of all time, and if you are not Greg LeMond either in the past or in the future you must have been cheating because no one is as great as Greg Lemond except Greg Lemond.  Thus to be faster than Greg LeMond or to exceed Greg LeMonds accomplishments means of course that you are cheating because as we all know or should know Greg Lemond is/was/and ever will be the greatest.

All hail Greg Lemond!!!!

2012-08-24 8:06 AM
in reply to: #4378165

Elite
Brock Samson - 2012-08-24 7:04 AM

One of the most horrible results of this entire sordid tale is that we will no be forced to hear from Greg LeMond non-stop, and how this proves, yet again, how he (in his own mind) is/was/and ever will be the greatest cycling champion of all time, and if you are not Greg LeMond either in the past or in the future you must have been cheating because no one is as great as Greg Lemond except Greg Lemond.  Thus to be faster than Greg LeMond or to exceed Greg LeMonds accomplishments means of course that you are cheating because as we all know or should know Greg Lemond is/was/and ever will be the greatest.

All hail Greg Lemond!!!!

I totally agree... that is the worst possible outcome of all this.

2012-08-24 8:25 AM

If I am understanding correctly, the USADA is banning Lance, whom isn't and wasn't competing in cycling and allowing multiple admitted currently racing dopers to continue racing because of their testimony?

If that is the case I think this just makes the sport look even more worse. Sends a de factor message of dope, dope in front of others, win, then tell an agency about and seek out a deal.

Lame.

Also, granted they do say he covered everything up and doped for so long. Should the USADA remain consitent and ban Justin Gatlin for example? or other past users?

2012-08-24 8:30 AM

Veteran
Panama City, FL
so is he banned from WTC events still, or can this clear the way to moving forward with his Triathlon career?
2012-08-24 8:34 AM
in reply to: #4378207

Champion
taylorz13 - 2012-08-24 10:30 AM

so is he banned from WTC events still, or can this clear the way to moving forward with his Triathlon career?

As a result of the sanctions, he will be banned from any event sanctioned by a WADA signatory.

Shane

2012-08-24 8:38 AM

Pro
Can someone explain why he would be banned for life but other admitted useres are not?  Is it because he won't admit it and they have?  Would the sanctions be the same against him if he "pled guilty" (for lack of a better term).  I'm not making a commentary, I don't know. 
2012-08-24 8:48 AM

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland

Call me a conspiracy theorist but I think Lance has more fight in him and is setting up a battle with the USADA.

Here’s what I understand of what’s happened so far or will happen:

*USADA files doping charges against Lance. He’s given a specific amount of time to respond and go to arbitration. USADA has all these witnesses who are set to testify and have been promised “something” for coming forward.

*Lance files suit in Austin that the USADA doesn’t have jurisdiction over the case. The suit is dismissed because the court doesn’t feel that they are appropriate to hear the case and that Lance has not suffered a loss.

*Lance up against a deadline informs the USADA that he will not participate in arbitration.

*USADA has stated that Lance’s refusal is basically an admission of guilt.

*USADA must now prepare a written report outlining the evidence they used to conclude that Lance doped. He will be issued a lifetime ban in the sports sanctioned in the US.

*The report is distributed to other parties including the WADA. Signers of the WADA must abide by the findings, which means the UCI must strip Lance of his titles.

*My conspiracy theory:

Lance understands that the USADA case is a witch hunt and he would never get a fair shake at the arbitration table. Once he is stripped of his titles he has now suffered a loss. Could he then again bring suit against the USADA saying they didn’t have jurisdiction over the case? There’s a better chance of the case being heard at this point. Now, instead of the USADA presenting their doping case to a USADA friendly arbitration panel they have to present their case in a court of law. The witnesses that were given deals to testify at arbitration now have to testify under oath in a court of law. The “immunity” they would have had at arbitration doesn’t apply here. Would they still be as willing to come forward? Does the USADA case fall apart at this point? Does Lance then sue the USADA for tarnishing his image?

I could be way off base but it's a slow Friday morning at work so what the heck!!

2012-08-24 8:49 AM

Master
Lake Norman, NC

Here's what I want to know...

What is the sanctioning body for the Tour De France that declares the winner and issues the prizes?  Isn't that the International Cycling Federation?  If so, just what "titles" does the USADA have the power to strip?  What are they going to do, break into his house and take the trophies and yellow jerseys?  If the sanctioning body over the Tour says who won and they don't recognize the authority of the USADA (The ICF does not and says THEY have jurisdiction) then who cares what the USADA says he won and didn't?

As for the "banned for life", who gives a chit?  The guy's retired and is not coming back to professional cycling.

So if Lance says f*** it and decides not to oppose the USADA anymore, but they don't have the power to remove records, trophies or international recognition, what does it matter?

Just how much power and sway does the USADA have over what Lance has accomplished in the past?

That's what I want to know.

2012-08-24 8:54 AM

Extreme Veteran
The guy doped.  Do I care?  No.  Do I care that they retroactively stripped his titles?  No.  Regardless, winning 7 (even just 1) of those TDF titles is a massively impressive feat, doping or not.  But by my standards, him dropping the fight against them is an admission of guilt.  I would not respect him anymore if he flat out said he doped.  He admitted it by dropping the fight.
2012-08-24 8:54 AM
in reply to: #4378241

Elite
SCamp07 - 2012-08-24 7:48 AM

Lance understands that the USADA case is a witch hunt and he would never get a fair shake at the arbitration table. Once he is stripped of his titles he has now suffered a loss. Could he then again bring suit against the USADA saying they didn’t have jurisdiction over the case? There’s a better chance of the case being heard at this point. Now, instead of the USADA presenting their doping case to a USADA friendly arbitration panel they have to present their case in a court of law. The witnesses that were given deals to testify at arbitration now have to testify under oath in a court of law. The “immunity” they would have had at arbitration doesn’t apply here. Would they still be as willing to come forward? Does the USADA case fall apart at this point? Does Lance then sue the USADA for tarnishing his image?

I could be way off base but it's a slow Friday morning at work so what the heck!!

No... when you forfeit, you forfeit. In any proceeding, it you take your ball and go home, you loose any recourse. A court of law has no jurisdiction over this. He is choosing not to fight. It's done. He doesn't have a leg to stand on.

USADA moves forward with their findings. It's the same for any other athlete that chooses not to go to arbitration. And he isn't getting a life time ban because he is not contesting it, he is getting a life time ban because USADA thinks that is a fair punishment for their findings.

2012-08-24 8:55 AM
in reply to: #4378224

Champion
Left Brain - 2012-08-24 10:38 AM

Can someone explain why he would be banned for life but other admitted useres are not?  Is it because he won't admit it and they have?  Would the sanctions be the same against him if he "pled guilty" (for lack of a better term).  I'm not making a commentary, I don't know. 

The difference is that they were not just alleging that Lance doped during his career but that he was a supplier to other athletes and that he, and others, were also part of an ongoing attempt to circumvent doping controls.

Shane
2012-08-24 8:55 AM

Tucson

$500 Million raised for cancer is what I take away for his 7 wins, no matter if he worked the system like the rest of them.

What has Greg LeMond done?

2012-08-24 8:57 AM
in reply to: #4378244

Master
Albuquerque
Bigfuzzydoug - 2012-08-24 7:49 AM

Here's what I want to know...

What is the sanctioning body for the Tour De France that declares the winner and issues the prizes?  Isn't that the International Cycling Federation?  If so, just what "titles" does the USADA have the power to strip?  What are they going to do, break into his house and take the trophies and yellow jerseys?  If the sanctioning body over the Tour says who won and they don't recognize the authority of the USADA (The ICF does not and says THEY have jurisdiction) then who cares what the USADA says he won and didn't?

As for the "banned for life", who gives a chit?  The guy's retired and is not coming back to professional cycling.

So if Lance says f*** it and decides not to oppose the USADA anymore, but they don't have the power to remove records, trophies or international recognition, what does it matter?

Just how much power and sway does the USADA have over what Lance has accomplished in the past?

That's what I want to know.

UCI presides over the TdF. USADA can only make a recommendation for the UCI to strip him of the titles, it's not a given. And since the UCI and US Cycling have basically told USADA to pound sand, I'm not sure anything will happen to his titles.

If he IS stripped of them, they will end up being awarded to the 11th place finishers or some crap anyway, since everyone on the list has doped and been caught in the past.

2012-08-24 8:59 AM
in reply to: #4378256

Elite
az45 - 2012-08-24 7:55 AM

$500 Million raised for cancer is what I take away for his 7 wins, no matter if he worked the system like the rest of them.

What has Greg LeMond done?

Got fat and became a media *****.

Edited by powerman 2012-08-24 8:59 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lance makes statement about USADA charges. Rss Feed  

of 7