General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lance makes statement about USADA charges. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2012-08-24 1:29 PM
in reply to: #4378737

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Beach, CA
Subject: RE: Lance makes statement about USADA charges.
prieto539 - 2012-08-24 9:53 AM
Left Brain - 2012-08-23 11:04 PM

triitoncemaybetwice - 2012-08-23 10:58 PM a lot of very valid points on his part against what the USADA is doing here.  it truely paints a picture of the USADA really out to get him for whatever reasons under whatever circumstances they deem appropriate as long as they got the one result they wanted.  It is a shame i was hopeful it wouldnt get here, but even in doing so his foundation is as great a part of his legacy as his tours if not greater to many people around the world, and i will continue to be a part of the livestrong rides as i have the past 3 years knowing the odds he overcame to beat cancer and the thousands of lives this foundation helps.     

I agree with everything you say........but I read his statement, and I have interviewed hundreds, maybe thousands, of people in criminal investigations.....nothing he wrote led me to toward a different conclusion than I've already had.....he used.  In fact, I'm even more convinced by reading his own words.

That being said, I don't care, anymore than I care about baseball's bad boys......it was an era.....hopefully it's over.

As someone who's got more than a passing acquaintence with the criminal investigation/interview/interrgation industry, allow me to pose some thoughts/questions.

--Is this also an indictment of the testing procedure (past/current/future)

--If they (governing bodies) were wrong in the past, are they right now??

--Witness motivation to provide solicited testimony?? ohh, revenge, leniency, etc.

It would appear that the process went something along the lines of, "well, we couldn't get him with evidence, e.g., scientific/quantifiable testing, so let's find indicted defendants and offer them benefit(s) in exchange for the testimony we are looking for.

Let's work this conversation- "your facing ???? sentence/consequences, if you'll testify that you saw Lance using PED's we'll give you xxxx benefit(s). 

See where I'm going.  I don't know if he did/did not use.  I do know, I'm bound by the rules of evidence AND witness testimony is just that.

X2

The scariest part of the whole justice system is Prosecutors who use deals with witnesses who are complicit or admitted offenders to go after someone who is the "bigger fish."   How can the system believe that these admitted liars are now honest people?

Additionally, stop spending our tax dollars to chase old ghosts.  Someone should have Tygart removed.

2012-08-24 1:33 PM
in reply to: #4378737

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
prieto539 - 2012-08-24 11:53 AM Left Brain - 2012-08-23 11:04 PM

As someone who's got more than a passing acquaintence with the criminal investigation/interview/interrgation industry, allow me to pose some thoughts/questions.

--Witness motivation to provide solicited testimony?? ohh, revenge, leniency, etc.

It would appear that the process went something along the lines of, "well, we couldn't get him with evidence, e.g., scientific/quantifiable testing, so let's find indicted defendants and offer them benefit(s) in exchange for the testimony we are looking for.

Let's work this conversation- "your facing ???? sentence/consequences, if you'll testify that you saw Lance using PED's we'll give you xxxx benefit(s). 

See where I'm going.  I don't know if he did/did not use.  I do know, I'm bound by the rules of evidence AND witness testimony is just that.

If I am following correctly, this is mostly the stance that the UCI is taking. 

Now "UCI, the sport's governing body, says it wants USADA to "submit to the parties concerned (Mr. Armstrong, WADA and UCI) a reasoned decision explaining the action taken."

I don't think it gets interesting until USADA shows their cards and the various deals they've made to solicit testimony. 

Then I think Lance's lawyers take another crack, and inevitably a Texas senator drags the USADA before Congress (just my prediction).

Edited by Swimbikeron 2012-08-24 1:34 PM
2012-08-24 1:34 PM
in reply to: #4378892

User image

Veteran
North Carolina Foothills
gsmacleod - 2012-08-24 1:18 PMSo its not that the testing is invalidated but rather that we need to recognize that it is possible for dopers to be implicated in ways beyond adverse analytical findings.

But that's back to my original point. I don't see how you can now close the pandora's box of subjectivity. If all it takes is someone with a personal vendetta against you to implicate you as a doper without any adverse analytical findings where do you draw the line.

Is it OK if one other convicted doper in the peloton implicates you, but if there are more than one, then you are a doper too?

I think either we stick with the science or we don't ... the rest will get too messy.
2012-08-24 1:36 PM
in reply to: #4378918

User image

Pro
Swimbikeron - 2012-08-24 1:33 PM
prieto539 - 2012-08-24 11:53 AM Left Brain - 2012-08-23 11:04 PM

If I am following correctly, this is mostly the stance that the UCI is taking. 

Now "UCI, the sport's governing body, says it wants USADA to "submit to the parties concerned (Mr. Armstrong, WADA and UCI) a reasoned decision explaining the action taken."

I don't think it gets interesting until USADA shows their cards and the various deals they've made to solicit testimony. 

Then I think Lance's lawyers take another crack, and inevitably a Texas senator drags the USADA before Congress (just my prediction).

So Lance is full of crap when he wrote...."Today I turn the page. I will no longer address this issue, regardless of the circumstances." ??

2012-08-24 1:41 PM
in reply to: #4378923

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
rventuri - 2012-08-24 3:34 PM

But that's back to my original point. I don't see how you can now close the pandora's box of subjectivity. If all it takes is someone with a personal vendetta against you to implicate you as a doper without any adverse analytical findings where do you draw the line.

Is it OK if one other convicted doper in the peloton implicates you, but if there are more than one, then you are a doper too?

I think either we stick with the science or we don't ... the rest will get too messy.

If it was just Landis and Hamilton who were prepared to testify against him, I would agree that isn't sufficient ro prove doping. However, when 10 (according to USADA) former teammates and staff have offered testimony about systematic doping within USPS, then I would suggest it goes beyond convicted dopers with a vendetta.

Shane
2012-08-24 1:46 PM
in reply to: #4378816

User image

Champion
the colony texas

gsmacleod - 2012-08-24 12:38 PM
mikericci - 2012-08-24 2:26 PM Agreed, but, what's going to stop USADA from releasing information? They still might.
True; I'm not sure what happens if everyone just agrees not to go to arbitration. It is my understanding that if that happens, USADA doesn't release the info to anyone but WADA, the NGB and the IF. I may be wrong though and that still doesn't address leaks. Shane

I look for the link but on ST it was posted.   where the interview with the person leading the Usada, saying that everything will be released even if JB or others simply opt out of the arbitration process.   They want everyone to see the info they had

????Here

Edited by Gaarryy 2012-08-24 1:57 PM

2012-08-24 1:48 PM
in reply to: #4378929

User image

Regular
Wisconsin

So Lance is full of crap when he wrote...."Today I turn the page. I will no longer address this issue, regardless of the circumstances." ??

Yes, completely full of crap.  From a strategy point of view, he has these things going:

*Gets to see the USADA cards and side deals made and time for his legal team to respond instead of seeing it for the first time in front of a panel.

*UCI fighting for jurisdiction

*Whips up public / political support for him personally and against the USADA

*Time for the USADA to make claims / sanctions they might regret later (see the quote below)

"You are on notice," Armstrong attorney Tim Herman said in a letter, "that if USADA makes any public statement claiming, without jurisdiction, to sanction Mr. Armstrong, or to falsely characterize Mr. Armstrong's reasons for not requesting an arbitration as anything other than a recognition of (International Cycling Union) jurisdiction and authority, USADA and anyone involved in the making of the statement will be liable."

2012-08-24 1:57 PM
in reply to: #4378953

User image

Pro
Swimbikeron - 2012-08-24 1:48 PM

Yes, completely full of crap.  From a strategy point of view, he has these things going:

*Gets to see the USADA cards and side deals made and time for his legal team to respond instead of seeing it for the first time in front of a panel.

*UCI fighting for jurisdiction

*Whips up public / political support for him personally and against the USADA

*Time for the USADA to make claims / sanctions they might regret later (see the quote below)

"You are on notice," Armstrong attorney Tim Herman said in a letter, "that if USADA makes any public statement claiming, without jurisdiction, to sanction Mr. Armstrong, or to falsely characterize Mr. Armstrong's reasons for not requesting an arbitration as anything other than a recognition of (International Cycling Union) jurisdiction and authority, USADA and anyone involved in the making of the statement will be liable."

I could give you that same notice about posting on this forum (for example)....it means absolutely nothing. It's just lawyer speak.

Now....I do agree that Lance is full of crap. 

It'll be fun to see what they have against him as evidence.

2012-08-24 2:33 PM
in reply to: #4378823

User image

Expert

rventuri - 2012-08-24 1:42 PM  That precedent has been set. Passing a drug test is no longer good enough to prove you didn't dope. Now you have to also hope no one runs to the authorities and to say that you did because that is enough to get you a stiffer penalty than those who failed drug tests. All drug testing is now invalidated since Armstrong is a convicted doper and he never failed a drug test. The testing must not be any good. My guess is that this is the initial explosion of a nuclear blast that is going to take down USADA, WADA, UCI and any other organization associated with this story including possibly the TDF itself. I am no Armstrong apologist .. just amazed by the stupidty of all involved in this charade for so-called justice.

He failed 2 actually and it was the inadequacies or the help of these very agencies that allowed him to escape being banned.

2012-08-24 2:34 PM
in reply to: #4378962

User image

Regular
Wisconsin

I could give you that same notice about posting on this forum (for example)....it means absolutely nothing. It's just lawyer speak.

Now....I do agree that Lance is full of crap. 

It'll be fun to see what they have against him as evidence.

True on the lawyer speak, but I could see it happening in this case as part of a scorched earth strategy.

I agree, now it's the USADA's turn to show their cards.  If this is over by Christmas, I will be surprised.

2012-08-24 3:29 PM
in reply to: #4377861

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
I care more about the $500M he raised to fight cancer and the hope he gave people with cancer all over the world.  He is still a hero in the eyes of many.

2012-08-24 4:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Littleton, CO
Why doesnt he just start a livestrong Iron distance race and move on LOL
2012-08-24 4:40 PM
in reply to: #4379145

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred D 2012-08-24 4:49 PM
2012-08-24 4:48 PM
in reply to: #4379268

Loves Park
Fred D - 2012-08-24 4:40 PM

GODAWGS - 2012-08-24 4:29 PM I care more about the $500M he raised to fight cancer and the hope he gave people with cancer all over the world.  He is still a hero in the eyes of many.

I think this is a huge part of the challenge in situations like this. Let me explain....

LA obviously did a number of really good things:
1. Gave people hope.
2. Raised money for Livestrong.
3. Inspired all sorts of people to become more physically active.

However, for arguments sake, let's assume he did run a doping operation when he was on the USPS cycling team, as IMO he did.

** I do realize that there are people who flat out believe he did not dope at all, but they are a minority and for the purposes of this argument I am going to assume he doped **

Just my opinion, but there are 12 cyclists willing to testify against him and it seems likely that not only he doped, but that he ran a conspiracy on the USPS team. This is my bigger issue, ie; the assertion that to be on the USPS team you HAD to dope or you were off the team. This is bad for a number of reasons, but has an effect beyond the team, ie; the impact for younger athletes who look up to LA.

So there is good and bad, but just like Joe Paterno.... the good you do in life does not excuse you from the wrong.

It probably seems unfair, but LA needs to be accountable for his actions, just like Paterno. We also are ok celebrating his good things as long as we take it in a balanced view.

There is not really a "get out of jail free" card that is given when you do a lot of good IMO, but rather we take the sum of the parts of a man and evaluate the good the bad and the ugly. It's not a black and white issue, but a rather grey one IME.

So YES, he gave hope and raised lots of money, but I also want him held accountable for his doping actions.

This

2012-08-24 5:19 PM
in reply to: #4379278

Sensei
Sin City

So much talked about in this thread, I can't even pick one to go with...  So I'll just summarize some of my simple thoughts.

• I used to think he was clean, now I figured he had to have doped.   Too much circumstantial evidence.  BUT, he was in the doping era, so he was still the best of the dopers.
  • Even if he gets stripped of his TdF wins.  In MY eyes, he still won 7.  I don't need to look it up in the record books.  I know it.
  • I think the USADA did have something to prove.  They wanted to land a big fish, no matter what.  Even if it's years later, and I can't figure out what the gain is when they could be chasing down guys racing RIGHT NOW.
  • This may sound strange, but I'm not NEARLY as offended he doped considering just about everyone else was as well, as feeling lied to for so many years.  He denied and denied.
  • That must be a hard way to live.  Knowing you doped, and having to constanty lie and look over your shoulder day after day, week after week, year after year.  I couldn't sleep.
  • Just sucks because even though I still give him credit for the wins, they don't seem as astonishing as they did before this.  This just taints everything.  Just disapointing...
  • But honestly, I'm sort of over it as well.  Had this come out years ago, it may have impacted me a lot more.  Now, after all the allegations, and accusations and court cases, it almost seemed inevatable and not surprising.
  • His fame brought a lot of attention to Livestrong, who provided a lot of help and free assistance TO ME during annoying little battle.  If we didn't "win" 7?  May not have been as big.  I know the good doesn't erase the bad, but sometimes the ends justify the means.  Not that his "ends" were Livestrong.  It was too win.
2012-08-24 5:57 PM

New user
If it's ill gotten gains, then it's time to stop glorifying Lance Armstrong and every other cheat in sport.
There are much more important heroes in life than athletes.

2012-08-24 6:03 PM
in reply to: #4379377

Sensei
Sin City

vabeachnut1 - 2012-08-24 3:57 PM If it's ill gotten gains, then it's time to stop glorifying Lance Armstrong and every other cheat in sport.
There are much more important heroes in life than athletes.

Of course there are. 

But we are talking about Lance Armstrong.  It may not be important in the big picture of life, but very few things are, so it's a valid subject worth talking about.

2012-08-24 9:52 PM
in reply to: #4377914

Veteran
Indiana
Left Brain - 2012-08-24 12:04 AM

I agree with everything you say........but I read his statement, and I have interviewed hundreds, maybe thousands, of people in criminal investigations.....nothing he wrote led me to toward a different conclusion than I've already had.....he used.  In fact, I'm even more convinced by reading his own words.

Along these lines, a few weeks ago I was listening to a radio interview with the authors of a book about lying. They were former CIA interrogators who made a study of the kinds of things people say when they're lying, and the kinds of things they say when they're telling the truth.

According to these guys, their system isn't 100% accurate; it's more like a list of "red flags." If you're talking to someone and they have one or two red flags, maybe they could be telling the truth - but if they have a lot of them, it's a very high probability of lying.

They said Lance had a lot of red flags.

2012-08-24 9:54 PM

Pro

One thing is for sure....the doping era...in cycling, baseball, track and field, swimming, whatever.....sure gave us some eye-popping entertainment.  I'm sure it's not over, but there is a much larger public outcry, and far less toleration for it, now that we know what we know. And what we know, based on what we now see in baseball's hitters, and even this year's TdF...is that those eye-popping performances were not real.  The athletes look......well.....human again.

Still.....it was fun to watch, I can't deny it.

2012-08-24 9:54 PM
in reply to: #4379325

Elite
Kido - 2012-08-24 4:19 PM

So much talked about in this thread, I can't even pick one to go with...  So I'll just summarize some of my simple thoughts.

• This may sound strange, but I'm not NEARLY as offended he doped considering just about everyone else was as well, as feeling lied to for so many years.  He denied and denied.

And just how exactly do you see that going differently?

I can't remember any other person being hounded from day one for doping like LA was. Good bad or indifferent does not matter... the day he won his first tour everyone was on him because it is impossible to come back from cancer and win a tour...especially if you are a DH Texan. Everyone else seems to get the spotlight over years of speculation. So then he admits it then? His next win? His next win? His next win?... when does he sit down in front of a camera and confess, when he has not failed a test?

You know for a fact if he is doping, then so is everyone. You know he knows every single GC contender is doping... but ya, he sits down in front of a cammera and says he is doping. A guy with at that ime in his life.... EVERYTHING to loose by doing so.

I truly believe he started his foundation to help people. Rich people donate time, money and their name... but this was personal, this he connected to, and he was so inspiring with his wins... if he sits down in front of a camera it is over.

That is the problem with a web of lies... when is it time to call it quits? When do you think Lance should have come clean so you would not feel lied to? And can you tell me you would have done it different... how about all his competition.... did they do it different.... nope... deny deny deny until you have no other choice.

2012-08-24 9:56 PM

Elite

One a side note, this was issued from the 4 time winner of the Tour De France, Jan Ullrich:

"I know how the order was on the finishing line at the time," Ullrich said. "I've finished with my professional career and have always said that I was proud of my second-place finishes."

2012-08-24 11:31 PM

Expert
Noosa

Speaking as someone living outside of the USA I just think what a waste of your taxpayer dollars!!!

That a$$hole heading up USADA is obviously loving his moment of glory and the end result is that one of America's most inspirational sporting stars gets kicked in the guts and kids all over the world lose a role model. The LA story is pretty amazing with his return from metastatic cancer to elite sporting success. I don't want that story to be ruined - even if it turns out he did dope. There are some things we don't need to dig up, it's a bit like pretending your parents don't have sex when you're a kid, you know it's true but thinking about it spoils your cute cosy family life!

This is symptomatic of modern life where the only winners are lawyers.

if they're going to strip him of the titles I trust they won't be passing them to the next in line without ensuring they've been fully cleared of doping??? What a pointless exercise this has turned out to be, I hope the UCI refuse to strip him of the titles!

Edit to correct spelling...

Edited by copa2251 2012-08-24 11:34 PM
2012-08-25 8:13 AM

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
If all of us here were tested as often as lance I'm guessing we'd have some positive results as well. I go to the dentist seveal times a year, and get lidocaine,novacain,who knows what else. Then I take advil later for the pain. A drug tester could interpret the result as looky here, ( they like to say looky or lookit)he's using ibuprofen to supress Cain usage. Gotcha. People who drink too much water fail pee test for diluted samples, diluted sample=refusal to test = fail. The cards are held by the the testing interpretations. I haven't read this entire thread, I'm sure poppyseed buns have surfaced.
2012-08-25 10:18 AM

Veteran
Overland Park
I havent read anywhere but what does this mean for Lance and Ironman?
2012-08-25 10:53 AM
in reply to: #4379916

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

TriMan25 - 2012-08-25 10:18 AM I havent read anywhere but what does this mean for Lance and Ironman?

At this point it looks like he won't be able to participate.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lance makes statement about USADA charges. Rss Feed  

of 7