General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bilaterial Breathing for Training - One side for racing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-26 8:21 PM

New user

Subject: Bilaterial Breathing for Training - One side for racing
Best thing I ever did was take 2 weeks of swim lessons before starting my training. I have been really working hard on my swimming and its working. My instructor made me(love her) do bilaterial breathing and stay with it. So when I'm doing my training, I try and stay with bilaterial throughout the entire workout. When i'm going really hard like when I'm doing ladders full out, I need to switch off and get air on every stroke. When I race, I think I will be breathing on every stroke but given the training, I can easily switch off to either side. My question is: Do you train using bilateral breathing but change it up when you race? I feel like bilaterial has helped me acquire better aerobic swim conditioning as opposed to never doing it/learning it. Watching some of the HIM and IM videos, I see some of you breathing on one side only during the race. Thanks for any comments.

2012-08-26 8:25 PM
in reply to: #4381397

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Subject: RE: Bilaterial Breathing for Training - One side for racing
I'm no expert, but I've been training since Feb. and learned bilateral really early on (going on the suggestions of everyone here). At this point, I've done 4 races and used bilateral breathing in all of them, since there was no real reason not to. It's my breathing rhythm and I didn't see any reason to switch it up. It's especially useful at the beginning of a wave start swim whenever you're in a large group of people all scrambling to get a good start.
2012-08-26 8:26 PM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

I really try to train as I'm going to perform.  However, I train with bilateral but it always seems like come race day, I want to control my breathing better so I go every stroke.  Either right or left side.  In the swim portion of a tri, I tend to breathe to the side of where the marker boueys are since most of the swims for me are in lakes.  Unless there are large waves, which can happen, then I try to breath to the side that is not rolling into waves.

Part of your original question, I think bi-lateral breathing does build my endurance level.  I take longer strokes and breathe out underwater at a more controlled level.

Seems to work for me at least.

2012-08-26 9:23 PM

Veteran
Canton, GA
I train with bilateral to balance my stroke on both sides better, but I typically will breathe on my left when I race.  I definitely feel like that's my stronger side, so I get a better pull when I'm breathing.  Some of the recent posts on here have really made me question my swim technique, so I just started watching some of these Total Immersion videos online and I have changed my stroke a lot this week, so right now, I'm all out of sorts on my breathing pattern.  I also have a bad habit of holding my breath when I swim, then I blow out right before I take a breath.  VERY BAD HABIT that I never was forced to get rid of when I swam competitively growing up and now I'm stuck with it. As a result, I linger on my side to breathe longer than I probably should, which causes all sorts of problems with crossing the midline with my arm, pushing down on the water to hold myself up while breathing, and I'm sure a zillion other issues.  It still feels really weird to me to breath throughout the stroke, but I'm trying to really focus on teaching myself to do it.  On the upside, by changing my stroke this week, I've reduced my strokes from 18 to 14 per 25yds, so that means I am doing about 56 strokes per 100 yds instead of 72.  It's crazy to me, but I'm now swimming a 100 yds with the effort of 75 yds and it's a nice relaxed, comfortable stroke.  Now I want to get a video camera to the pool so I can see the difference from above.
2012-08-26 9:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I train bilaterally. I switch it up in a race depending on the sun, the buoys, how well I'm sighting etc. In the long straights I usually breathe every three still, but if I'm feeling tired I'll do two to a side. I find the arm opposite of where I'm breathing gets lazy and my form breaks down if I breathe every stroke and I don't really pay attention. So it's easier for me to keep to every three for most of the race.
2012-08-26 9:28 PM

Master

Always train bilaterally.

For racing, I used to breath nearly exclusively to the right, because it was slightly more comfortable. Now I breath on both - weirdly enough, not because of sighting or technical issues, but because since I'm so used to alternating in training, my neck gets tired when I breath only to one side. I didn't expect that one, but it's happened to me in all my swims this year - if I don't mix it up in OWS, my neck starts to remind me that I should be going over to the other side.

If you're comfortable on unilateral breathing on race day, don't worry about it - just do it.

2012-08-26 10:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
Bilateral in training, one side in race. I can do either side equally well. Once I get in rythm, I like to Heath every 2 strokes, vs 3 in bilateral. More air, especially at higher speeds ( like a sprint). Many if not all of the Olympians in all pool swim distances breathed to one side only during race. I said most, not all.

Edited by taylorz13 2012-08-26 11:01 PM
2012-08-26 11:10 PM

User image

Regular
Thousand Oaks
I read a ton about this and I think the majority of the value add to training bilaterally is to make sure your rotation and stroke is strong on both sides.  I know for certain by breathing to the right exclusively my stroke on the left side is under-rotated and weak on my left which is exactly why my shoulder hurts after a long swim.  I have it on my to do list on the next swim to train bilaterally so we'll see how it goes.
2012-08-26 11:59 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Breath when you need air in training and in racing. Presumably in training you are swimming at a variety of speeds in order to learn pacing, work on form, do drills, practice acceleration and recovery, etc. Breath as you need air for whatever the demand...it may be every 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd or 2nd stroke. If you are swimming at a pace that only requires breathing every 4th, then one length breath right and the next lenght breath left.

Don't over breath for the sake of making it "bi-lateral" or every 3 breaths. But if your pace requires you to breath every 3rd breath then do so.

Presumably in racing you are swimming at a higher overall intensity that will demand you breath every stroke. So breath to one side for a while, then breath to the other side for awhile.

you should practice making each side equally comfortable. I know that's easier said than done, but once I took my total immersion weekend workshop and subsequently learned some really nice breath drills (nodding and one armed breathing done properly) i now feel 95% as comfortable on my 'bad' side (left) as on my good side.
2012-08-27 5:48 AM

User image

Regular

Swimming is my weakest discipline.  I was dealing with a stress fracture in May, so I was told no running (obviously) or cycling.  So that meant the only thing I could do was swim.  So I swam a lot for me.  I ended up with shoulder pain on the left side.  I started researching it a little and on the swim smooth site I learned that my left shoulder was sore most likely from breathing only to the right.  So I started bilaterally breathing.  At first it really slowed me down, and I felt out of breath so I couldn't do as much in the pool.  After about 2 weeks of making myself bilaterally breathe I got my times back to where they had been.  And no more shoulder pain.  I still do better breathing to the right as far as form.  I can feel myself sinking a little when I go on the left.  I try to pay attention to form when I breathe to that side.  And if I going at a harder effort, I do find myself only breathing to the right.

jami  

2012-08-27 5:55 AM

User image

Veteran
austin, Texas
I've been swimming for 2 years and I still can't breathe comfortably to my left. I can do it, but not much more than 50m as I run out of breath.I say do whatever you are comfortable with!

2012-08-27 6:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX
I swam competitively as a kid and do the same now as then.  Bilaterally when I make myself (or need to for sighting) and every 4 then 2 (I have had this pattern all my life) to the right the rest of the time.
2012-08-27 8:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wellesley, Massachusetts

When I'm training, I always breathe bilaterally. In my races this year, I've been really successful in breathing to just one side. I do rotate sides during the race so I don't cause too much fatigue on my left side, but I prefer to breathe to my right.  

I've found that I am faster because I am taking in more air and feel less stressed about breathing every third stroke. I also find that I get into a better rhythm, have an easier time sighting and navigate buoys and other racers more easily.

2012-08-27 8:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan

I didn't learn to breathe bilaterally as a kid, and the general consensus (at least here on BT) is to not worry about it that much. However, I do practice breathing on one side down the pool and on the other side up the pool, so I'm always looking at the same wall.

I favor my right side, so I almost always breathe only to the right while I am racing. At least twice this year during a race, though, left-side breathing has come in handy -- once when the sun was shining directly into my eyes and once when the buoys were on the left. It is definitely useful to be able to breathe on both sides.

So practice both, but if you only breathe on one side during a race, that's OK. You're not going to injure anything for those 15-30 minutes once a month. =)

2012-08-27 8:33 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

Kathy, I thought I was the only one who had a breathing pattern other than plain old 2, 3, or 4! I swam competitively as a kid and almost always breathed 2-2-4 to the right. My mom claims she can spot me at crowded races and beaches by this distinctive pattern.

I've worked hard as an adult to learn bilateral breathing after realizing it is sometimes necessary in OWS, esp. for sighting and in chop. In training, I make sure to do some bilateral breathing in every set. Sometimes I use it as "punctuation". For example, today I did a 2000m steady swim (not a typical workout, but feeling tired and just wanted to get in an easy long swim) and the last 25 of every 100m was bilateral. Or I'll do 50 bilateral and 50 regular out of each 100.  In open water, breathing to either side feels natural and I do it when I need to, otherwise I just breathe my preferred way;  in the pool, when I'm going hard, I still prefer 2-2-4. Three just doesn't seem to be quite enough sometimes and two is too much.

2012-08-27 10:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune

KeithH - 2012-08-27 3:21 AM  When I race, I think I will be breathing on every stroke but given the training, I can easily switch off to either side.

I normally breathe every 3 when training, I don't even think about it, only at the wall do I change that as I need some extra air before the flip turn. When I started to practice sighting I found that this rhythm just didn't work. In stead I breathe every 4: breathe in-hold-sight-blow out. So, take your time in the pool and practice different breathing rhythms, combine with sighting and see what works for you.

BR, Erik

2012-08-27 11:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I train with bilateral, strong side and weak side... every 2 and every 4.  During race, I use what I need at that time.
2012-08-27 12:06 PM

User image

I breathe toward the same wall in training. So, left side going down, right side going back. Then i use whatever i need in racing.
2012-08-27 12:18 PM
in reply to: #4382134

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX

GAUG3 - 2012-08-27 11:22 AM I train with bilateral, strong side and weak side... every 2 and every 4.  During race, I use what I need at that time.

I like that.  

I also vary the number of strokes in my bilateral breathing, depending on conditions.  A favorite pattern in a races is 3R-1R-3L-1L but I've also done 4R-1R-4L-1L-3R-1R-3L-1L.  

I tend to have more air capacity than most so I like to stroke more and breathe less often, but breathe lots when I can.   Doesn't really help my speed though.

2012-08-27 12:21 PM
in reply to: #4382245

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I personally don't think you need to train bilateral breathing, but if it makes you more comfortable, go for it.

I race AND train breathing on my right side 90% of the time.  BUT, I know how to bilateral breath and will throw it in once a week for a couple hundred yards to make sure I'm smooth with it.  You never know when you might need it for a short time in a race.

So I think it's important to know, but not important to do it every time you swim.  Just have it in the back pocket for emergencies.

I guy I work with teaches masters and has an long distance OWS group/program and preaches the same thing.  Know how to do it, but breath on the comfortable side when you can.

Edited by Kido 2012-08-27 12:21 PM
2012-08-27 3:05 PM
in reply to: #4381819

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX
Hot Runner - 2012-08-27 8:33 AM

Kathy, I thought I was the only one who had a breathing pattern other than plain old 2, 3, or 4! I swam competitively as a kid and almost always breathed 2-2-4 to the right. My mom claims she can spot me at crowded races and beaches by this distinctive pattern.

I still prefer 2-2-4. Three just doesn't seem to be quite enough sometimes and two is too much.

Sweet!  Yeah, I'm 2-4-2-4.  Dunno why but 3 is not right and 4 is not right and 2 is too much.    I swim OWS, depending on storms, about 3 times a week and have to breathe bilaterally at one point to stay on course as I'm not really familiar with the sea bottom at that point.  Going out to the reef I only need to sight on bad days - today was CRAZEEE currents and waves and the water was so murky (I am only comfy in crystal clear water) that I sighted more than usual, but I normally can go 150m (out to the reef) without sighting once just by my seabottom landmarks. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bilaterial Breathing for Training - One side for racing Rss Feed