General Discussion Race Reports! » Keystone State Triathalon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Keystone State Triathalon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lewisberry, Pennsylvania
United States
Trimax Endurance Sports
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 06m 4s
Overall Rank = 71/
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 8/10
Pre-race routine:

Camped at the park the night before and drove the camper around to the parking area at 6:00. Transition opened at 6:30 and it was first-come-first served for spots.
Event warmup:

Should have swam the day before when I watched the super-sprint and didn't. Big mistake.
Swim
  • 36m 25s
  • 1600 yards
  • 02m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

As usual, I freakin' panicked for the first 200 yards of the swim. I don't know why I didn't get in the water and do a lot of swimming before hand. I found myself getting in the water and looking at the course for the first time moments before the gun. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
What would you do differently?:

Swim beforehand. I swam between .5 and .75 miles on Saturday at Eagleman and had the most enjoyable swim ever. I need to make it a point to swim in the swim course before the race if I can and I could have here.
Transition 1
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

T1 was fine. No real issues.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 38m 36s
  • 27 miles
  • 16.43 mile/hr
Comments:

Did I mention it started raining in my last 200 yards in the lake? It absolutely POURED on my first 2 laps on the bike. Oddly, it didn't really bother me though. Other then being hilly, it is not a super-technical course and there aren't a lot of sharp turns. You definitely aren't going to blitz this course on speed though unless you are a super hill climber.

Not much really. I thought I'd be faster on the bike but it really is a pretty uphill course.
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

Everything in T2 was soaked. Fortunately my Zoot Advantage with speed laces go on pretty easy.

Nothing. It was fine.
Run
  • 48m 41s
  • 3.85 miles
  • 12m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

It quickly became apparent that my expected run times would need to be adjusted to accommodate trail running. I am not a big trail runner and run them cautiously because it is more important to me to stay healthy the go fast and risk injury. As mentioned there were parts of the trail that were tight and with both Olympic & Sprint runners on it the first lap was very busy. In the uphill sections the walkers were using the best part of the trail (to the right where they should have been) leaving the rutted, rockier parts to those passing. Had it been a sunny, hot day I probably would have enjoyed the shaded run. As I am not a big trail runner, I really didn't so much enjoy the run.

Perhaps go a bit harder on the second loop where I knew the less tricky sections of the trail & when there were less people.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate a Bagel, cheese & egg sandwich. :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mostly the mental aspect of the swim.

Event comments:

Overall the race was good. I think there are some growing pains here. As mentioned by another reviewer maybe revise the start schedule to let the sprint go first. They will be done and off the course so there is less crossover between the Olympic & Sprint.

Also, they need a volunteer or even a ranger to not let vehicles entering the day use area come all the way to the bottom of the driveway. This would be normal if a race were not occurring, but this brought a couple vehicles right into the chute for bike in/out. My wife was watching and saw a couple near bike/car collisions as a result.

The race is getting big enough that first-come-first-served is no longer adequate for transition. Left to our own devices, we are terrible at bike racking. There was enough rack space for everyone but bikes were too spread out. Even if the racks aren't going to have assigned numbers, then rack spaces should be delineated to allow more people to fit in. There were a couple bikes propped at the ends of racks that wasn't good.

There were no volunteers watching transition. Anyone dressed in race gear (or even not in race gear) could have walked out with whatever bike or other equipment they wanted.

This probably sounds like a lot of complaints but the race, overall, was fine. Just thing the RD needs to pay attention to going forward especially if the race grows. Check-in, timing, etc. were all fine.

Last updated: 2012-08-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:25 | 1600 yards | 02m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:20
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:38:36 | 27 miles | 16.43 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 3 laps on the roads on the outside of the park. The description of the bike course on the website is spot-on. The steep hill on E. Camping Area road is a B!tch! Passed a lot of people walking there.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:48:41 | 03.85 miles | 12m 39s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: This is a much more technically challenging run then the course description lets on. While it may not be a TRUE technical trail run it is much closer to that then the easy, shaded, jaunt around the lake & park that the description would leave you to believe. This is especially evident when you see the sign "Caution Steep Grade Ahead". The trail is narrow in spots and even the good parts have lots of roots & rocks. With the rain there were some really muddy spots.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-08-27 2:46 PM

User image

Reading, PA
Subject: Keystone State Triathalon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Keystone State Triathalon - Olympic Course Rss Feed