General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help - Pinch nerve/musle in lower back Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-28 7:44 AM

Regular
Ottawa, ON
Subject: Help - Pinch nerve/musle in lower back

Yesterday night I was playing wrestling with my 2 kids when I felt a pinch in my lower back (left side). I thought it was just a simple pinch but later on during the night, I felt it more and more while walking or just lying in bed.

When I stand tall with only my right leg supporting my body while moving my entire left leg back and forward, I can feel the pinch right mainly from my lower back to the whole leg to an extent. The annoying pinch is felt more when my leg goes in the backward motion. If I press on the nerve/muscle, I can feel the tension and the little ‘trigger shot’ through my left leg.

The annoying pinch was worst this morning so I did 5 minutes self-massage trying to go as deep as I can with my thumb while in the shower. I also did a 5 minutes foam roller (rumbleroller) and crank up my heated seat during my drive to work. All of that seems to help releasing the tension at that time but I can feel that it is getting very ‘stiff’ on my lower back.

I have a super sprint coming this Saturday. How should I take care of the injury? I was schedule to do 2-3 easy run and 2 bike ride prior of Saturday. Should I stop training for the rest of the week?

Thanks

2012-08-28 8:00 AM
in reply to: #4383721

User image

Subject: RE: Help - Pinch nerve/musle in lower back
Chiropractor. Mine keeps me going. Fortunately he's also a triathlete, so he knows what I'm putting myself through, but without him, there's no way i would have accomplished what I have this season.
2012-08-28 8:36 AM
in reply to: #4383721

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Help - Pinch nerve/musle in lower back
Every injury is different, but I've had some lower back issues.  Besides going to a chiropractor, which is usually very helpful, I find that taking IB Profen helps to bring down the swelling around the joints that are "pinching" the nerve. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help - Pinch nerve/musle in lower back Rss Feed