General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Brown bag special: What did you pack for lunch? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-28 3:12 PM

User image

El Paso, TX
Subject: Brown bag special: What did you pack for lunch?

I've been trying to eat smarter at lunch in an effort to drop a few pounds.  I was eating a ham and cheese sandwich with a small bit of Doritos.   I've now moved to eating tuna with greens and with a few crackers but that seems to be getting old fast.

So what did you pack for lunch??

2012-08-28 3:36 PM
in reply to: #4384840

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: RE: Brown bag special: What did you pack for lunch?
Salad. Almost every day, I bring a rather large tupperware container filled to the brim with 1/2 spinach, 1/2 romaine mix, plus whatever veggies I happen to have on hand, usually baby carrots, sugar snap peas, cucumber, and grape tomatoes. Sometimes I also add green peppers or broccoli. I take about 1.5 Tbsp of light dressing in a snack-sized bag so it doesn't get all soggy before lunchtime. Always have either a string cheese or lowfat cottage cheese on the side. It isn't the most exciting lunch, but it's heathly, low calorie, and fills me up.

Edited by LindaKC 2012-08-28 3:37 PM
2012-08-28 3:44 PM

User image

Master
PNW

My lunches are usually some type of pre-cooked meat and a big container of veggies topped with healthy fat.

Today is was kale meatballs (made over the weekend) and a big container of mixed frozen veggies drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with a spice mix.  Then I nuke both containers before eating them.

Yesterday is was chicken apple sausages and a big container of chopped kale, broccoli and beans from our garden.  Drizzled the veggies with olive oil, added a squirt of lemon juice, and sprinkled them with greek seasoning.  Nuke at work.

I love salads, but I hate preparing them, so this is my 'lazy' solution.  If I didn't have a microwave available, I'd probably eat a lot more salads though.

2012-08-28 4:00 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Wraps can be a good alternative. Whole wheat or brown rice wraps are probably better nutritionally... so far I've made:

Mexican: fat free refried beans, green chilies, chopped tomatoes, green onion, shredded cheese, dip in salsa
Greek: hummus, spinach, cucumber, tomato
California: cream cheese, avacado, spinach, alfalfa sprouts, salad dressing to dip
Salad: everything you'd put in a salad (garden, caesar, tuna, whatever) - dip in dressing

Other ideas:
- As the weather cools off, consider a big pot of chili (I like mine vegetarian) or other soup/stew with lots of veggies. Easy to portion out and freeze for grab and go lunches.
- Make your own sweet potato fries or chips instead of Doritos
- Organic frozen entrees like Amy's brand 
- Bring snacks with protein to munch on like nuts, string cheese, Greek yogurt, etc.

2012-08-28 4:09 PM

User image

Master
Oceanside, California

Leftovers -

Breakfast - Spaghetti and Meatballs, greek yogurt, banana.

Lunch - Chicken Curry, Bhindi (okra), 2 chapatis.

Cashews, wasabi almonds, and a back-up Clif-Builder for snack, or if I work through dinner.

2012-08-29 1:06 AM

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii

Just packed my lunch for tomorrow as I was putting away leftovers tonight:

Grilled flank steak, grilled onions/peppers, tomato salsa and a scoop of fresh guacamole on a pile of lettuce. 

Can't wait to see my co-workers drool over it at tomorrow's lunch meeting.  And I'm the weird one!

2012-09-04 1:07 AM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Today I had a protein smoothie with frozen mixed berries. Quick and fillling!
2012-09-04 8:20 AM

I usually have some pre cooked frozen chicken breasts I can microwave at work over a large salad (bag kind from store fresh salads) and add some cherry tomatoes. For seasoning I just put some lemon joice and pepper. Other times I will do tuna and green beans but as you said, that got old incredibly fast.

Some days I will grab subway as a treat.

2012-09-11 7:55 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Lately I've been making lunches that I can prepackage for up to an entire week.  Today's consisted of:

1 can black beans

1 can sweet corn

1 can chipotle southwest corn

Entire container of cherub tomatoes, halved

Mixed all those together along with a bunch of chopped cilantro and then dressed it with olive oil that had been heated with cumin and garlic then allowed to cool

tossed it on top of half romaine, half spinach

salt and pepper

Tomorrow I may add some chicken to go along with it.

2012-09-20 2:33 PM

User image

USA

I also batch cook all my meals on Sunday for the upcoming work week, and I put them in individual tupperware so they are ready to go in the morning. 

This week I had grilled marniated chicken with steamed broccoli.  Last week I had grilled chicken on top of a salad.  The week before I made a turkey meatloaf and cauliflower mash (like mashed potatoes), the week before I made beef stir fry. I tend to make really simple stuff that will hold well. 

Now dinner... that's another story.  That's when I try out new recipes and take more time to enjoy cooking Smile

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Brown bag special: What did you pack for lunch? Rss Feed