General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Starting over at 45 Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-11 9:28 AM

User image

New user

Subject: Starting over at 45

So a very long time ago I was in a pretty nasty car accident. I went from a lean runner and climber to a stationary fat guy over the last 20 years. A few weeks ago I was watching the Ironman on Youtube and commented to my wife that 'back then' doing an Ironman had been one of my goals. Next thing I know she's suggesting we get me out of my chair and back moving again. 

Sure I says, but every time I try I end up reinjuring myself and sitting back down. So now I'm 3 weeks in, starting to move more and looking at goal setting. She's aiming for a half triathlon in 1 year. I think it may be a bit aggressive, but well see. 

2012-09-11 9:45 AM
in reply to: #4405332

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Starting over at 45

Congrats on getting out of the chair! Take it slow and easy and you're less likely to injure yourself. It is better to take it easy on your goals and keep moving than push too much, injure yourself and end up back in the chair.

You don't have to go straight for an Ironman or even Half Iron.  You can start with a sprint which is usually a 400-800 meter swim, 12 mile bike and 5k run. If you want something more agressive you could try an Olympic which is usually a 1200 meter swim, 25 mile bike and a 10k run. There are lots of training plans available here on BT for beginners in the Programs area.

Good luck, keep us posted on your progress.

2012-09-11 10:33 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Congrats on getting off the sofa -- and congrats on having a supportive wife.

As posted above, no need to jump full in -- assess where you are, and start slow. I didn't do any of this nutty tri stuff until I was 43 when I found myself to be a fat out of shape couch potato. I've lost 60 pounds since then (March 2010), have done a half marathon, a bunch of sprints, and even a half ironman.

You can do this -- BT is a GREAT place to start. Read all you can. Get a good understanding of any injury limitations you may have (from the car accident, possibly?), and go. If you are ready to start running, I cannot recommend the "couch to 5k" program enough. Its the best!!!

Good luck, and see you around!
2012-09-11 10:37 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Sounds like you have a great wife! 

Ditto the advice about taking it slow at first.  Keep your goals modest at first.

The biggest thing is to maintain consistency in your training in the coming weeks and months.  You can always re-evaluate your goals as your fitness improves.

Good luck and welcome to BT!

Mark

2012-09-11 1:00 PM
in reply to: #4405580

User image

Boulder City, NV

Congrats on both your getting back into the culture of fitness, and your supportive wife!

I echo all the comments about starting slow.  I'm right there with you, as a person who got back into this at 46... my mind remembers how I used to do things, and sometimes tricks my body into doing a little more than I logically know I should -- and I paid for it with an achilles strain.

There are plenty of little victories along the way to be had.  Enjoy them all!

2012-09-11 1:31 PM

User image

Pro

good luck and enjoy your journey.

yes- in all likelihood you will injure yourself again.  overcome the injury and keep moving.  don't let it set you back.

it's part of training.  you'll be asking your body to do things that it's not used to.  parts will get sore.  parts will hurt.  But- the body heals.  each injury has a set of ways around.  find them.  do them.  keep moving.

you've got this.

2012-09-11 2:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern Pines, NC

Congratulations on getting off the couch! Good luck with your training.

2012-09-11 11:59 PM

User image

New user

Over the last few years I've made various attempts to get going again. I even went as far as to buy a decent Trek bike to start riding again. I do't think I'll be able to do a full triathlon in a year, but a solid run would be nice. Or a bike race. 

Wifey on the other hand. She has never been fast, even in the air force at her peak her fastest runs were terribly slow. So her biggest issue will be making time cuts. I know that there are ways to improve speed over distance from when I ran Cross Country in high school and college. The hard part is going to be getting her to listen

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Starting over at 45 Rss Feed