General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Ironman in training... beginner/newbie Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-10-01 4:43 PM

Subject: Ironman in training... beginner/newbie

My name is Jason.. a year ago i set out to do my first Tri and i did the Goleta Beach Triathlon last month... it was a sprint and i was not even ready for the swim... it was quit embarrassing... but i am determined to get this down and complete an IRONMAN distance race... Wink

can anyone direct me to a sticky about all the abbreviations? and maybe some good info on swimming training... or just a good plan... im just starting the plan they have on this site... just did the run... waiting to go to the pool and complete the swim but idk what its asking me to do... newbie i know... but the only way to learn is to ask right?motivation,triathlete,training,swim,bike,run

any other info for a up and comer would be great as well... train hard and be safe athletes!!

2012-10-01 5:56 PM
in reply to: #4435795

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Ironman in training... beginner/newbie

No such thing as a stupid question!  Plenty of resources on this site too.  i'm training for my first Ironman - I'm using the don Fink program Be Iron Fit.

Have you signed up for any Olympic Distances or Half Ironman races - that will really give you a good base to work from.

Very important on here - log your training on your training log then if you want people to comment on your training they can go straight there.  When the Mentor program opens again, definitely join, it's a great resource.

if I can help in any way being a pretty much newbie myself then feel free to message or contact via my training log.

2012-10-01 7:17 PM

User image

Regular

I second Be Iron Fit--I'm using it and will be doing IMFL in about a month...eep!  This also has good descriptions of the swim workouts and explains the abbreviations. 

And in case you were being more general about the abbreviations...here:  http://beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1014... Though a lot of it will be picked up as you browse the forums!

Welcome and good luck!

2012-10-01 9:18 PM

Thank you!!... its so nice to know im not alone on a mission to do IRONMAN... most people i know just think theres something wrong with me..lol

i have a half marathon in Dec. my first full marathon (yikes) in Jan.. and the Spartan Beast race in Feb.... next weekend my friend and i are going to do a mock Olympic tri... so basically just do all the distances but without it being an actual race...

good luck to you both on your training and races...

2013-07-12 2:55 PM
in reply to: jaysinz

I'm also new to triathlon, with my sights set on an Ironman. Unfortunately, I'm basically coming from zero, haven't been doing conventional endurance training for a few years now (have been training more muscular endurance HIIT/Crossfit style work), so approaching a triathlon presents a unique challenge for me. Target is IM 140.6 Cozumel in December 2014, giving me ~18months to train from zero to hero as they say. No expectations to rank anywhere well, just looking to finish a new challenge.

My biggest challenge is learning how to swim. I'm not a swimmer at all, so accomplishing 2.4mi seems like a pipe dream right now (estimating that my collective distance swam over my entire life is less than 1mi). So my focus over this fall and winter will be learning how to swim properly, get some distance on my runs and bikes, then be ready to start a proper training program next spring/summer. Expecting I'll pull down some shorter distance tri's along the way as part of the training, of course.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Ironman in training... beginner/newbie Rss Feed