http://www.koeln-marathon.de/en/home/home.html
8C / 46F
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 16m 23s
Overall Rank = 2428/3547
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 295/420
Pre-race routine:

I am not really sure what to say about this race. I had quite some problems with my hip in the 3 weeks leading up to this race and could not run as much as I would have wanted to. I knew it was a clear sign from my body to give it some rest instead of pushing for one more race but I was stubborn and decided to go for it anyways and see if it is possible to run a half-Marathon by willpower alone. Rest would follow after! Felt lousy the day before with a bad headache the day before and I was somehow still not convinced I should be running at all. But despite of all this I did all the pre-race activities like usual, got my number at the expo, packed my things, made a plan and then on race morning I woke up after a rather short night (due to IM Kona!), went to breakfast, put my clothes on and started walking to the start still not really into race mode at all. It was 5C (41F) outside but luckily the rain that we had for the past 2 days had stopped.
I walked the 1.5 miles from the hotel to the start and got to the race site at about 8:10am which was plenty of time for 2 porta-potty stops before the 8:30am start. But then we did not start at 8:30am....there were 10.000 people running divided into color sections and they forgot to inform us that there would be 10min between the first and second color and then 5min between after that which meant I did not start until 8:55am! Not good in this cold weather standing around in the crowd.
Run
  • 2h 16m 23s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 06m 28s  min/km
Comments:

We finally started running and I decided to start easy with a 6min pace which worked well. It was not really possible to run faster anyways as there were so many people. The first 5km were over before I realised it. I walked about 101-5 seconds at the add stations and then kept running right away. At km 9 I felt that I really had to pee so I stopped at a porta-potty right before the 10km mark and that meant I lost 1 min of my goal pace which meant if I wanted to have a chance to run 2:06 I needed to make up for that minute over the last 11km and I kind of knew right away that this would not be possible today. The next 5km I kept a steady pace and between km 13 and 14 you ran through a part of the course where there were a ton of spectators and lots of music and this really lifted my spirit. Shortly after I was running next to two men and they were chatting and one said: "I am just so happy to be here and to be able to run...its a privilege". That sure hit home so I started to smile and be happy to be there no matter how fast or slow I would go. at km 17 I really had to go to the bathroom again and this time spent about 2,5 minutes in there....after that I knew that not even a PB would be possible today so I slowed down a bit to at least get through the run without any injuries. The legs were still OK at this point but the quads were getting quite tired like usual and I was hoping they would hold up. The last 3km the legs were heavy so I got a really good opportunity to practise some mental training of blocking out the heaviness and discomfort and it worked fine. KM 19-20 you ran through the shopping street downtown and by the Dome which is really cool. Small uneven copperstones after that and I took it really easy there and kept thinking: "Don't fall, don't fall"
The last km is over the bridge which is also the final km of the Half-Ironman that I did 6 weeks ago and I was somehow in trance running over there. I had blocked out any discomfort and was actually thinking about that in 1km my season would be finally OVER! I started to think about all the races this year, starting with awesome Abu Dhabi and I am so proud of myself for all that I have accomplished this year!
When I saw the finish line I once again had only one thought: "DO NOT FALL FLAT ON YOUR FACE" lol which worked.

Post race
Warm down:

Once over the line I watched all the people around my cheering and hugging each other and being happy to be done and I felt NOTHING. Not sure if I was just exhausted but I felt like: "Oh OK now this is over...". Kept walking to get my medal and then I got some food and decided that it would probably be good to let my legs walk a but more so I walked the 1.7 miles back to the hotel.
All in all not the race I was hoping for but considering all the circumstances I am happy and thankful I was able to do it and get through without an injury. Quads are very sore now but thing compared to how they were after the HIM so I know I will recover quickly. :)

(My Garmin showed the distance at 21.54km. They chanced the route from last year so I wonder if it was actually a bit long...)

Last updated: 2012-09-27 12:00 AM
Running
02:16:23 | 21.1 kms | 06m 28s  min/km
Age Group: 295/420
Overall: 2428/3547
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-10-15 10:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland
Subject: Cologne Half-Marathon

2012-10-15 12:25 PM
in reply to: #4453977

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Subject: RE: Cologne Half-Marathon

Congrats Joblin! I need to remind myself that I am privileged to be able to do triathlon...you had a VERY fully season and did very, very well. Enjoy some well earned downtime and remember that you are still the same fantastic person you were before the race - the results don't change who you are.

I'll look forward to see what's in store for next year!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cologne Half-Marathon Rss Feed