General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Increase running fitness Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-10-24 8:47 AM
in reply to: #4461341

New user
Subject: RE: Increase running fitness
colinphillips - 2012-10-19 8:03 PM

This is a good question. I'm not familiar with the specific BT plan that you're looking at, but I think that you'll find that many plans recommend relatively infrequent running. The 3-2-1 approach to running recommends much higher frequency, and at first it looks like there's no way to combine it with tri training. I think it's possible, though, and the results can be quite good.

The key is to run just about every day, including days when you're also swimming or biking. Those days will mostly be the shortest/easiest run days, and you can simply go out for a short run directly after the swim/bike. If you just add the time to change shoes/shorts and get out for 2-3 miles, with no additional travel, showering etc., it's a pretty time-efficient way to get in the training. 

So why run so frequently but not swim or bike so frequently? It's all about the impact stress of running. You can cram some swim and bike training into a smaller number of harder workouts. But you can't get away with that in running. You'll quickly get injured. Think of it not so much as doing more running, but as spreading the running out over more days.

That makes a lot of sense and I think your approach is wise and probably the right approach.  The 1,2,3 method is new to me, and now that I'm getting a little older, my knees just don't like running as much and I think this approach will really help strengthen the ligaments and prevent injuries.

2012-10-24 9:20 AM
in reply to: #4465200

Veteran

TrBeau17 - 2012-10-23 11:22 AM Have you increased your distance/time each week or month?

Shane's description of Barry's plan is excellent!

No more than 10% increase of weekly total each week.  If the load feels too great, back off for a week.  I have followed BP's plan for the last 4 winters with excellent results.  Will start it again next week until March.  It works!

There has been a lot of discussion regarding incorporating BP's plan into a structured Tri plan.  I think the general agreement is to drop 1 or 2 of the short runs when adding biking back into the mix, but keep the 2 medium, 1 long and 1 short run off of the bike.  Not familiar with BT plans, so can't comment on them.

2012-10-24 9:24 AM
in reply to: #4466755

Veteran

That makes a lot of sense and I think your approach is wise and probably the right approach.  The 1,2,3 method is new to me, and now that I'm getting a little older, my knees just don't like running as much and I think this approach will really help strengthen the ligaments and prevent injuries.

My wife and I started using his plan 4 years ago at the tender age of 57 & 55.  We have run injury free for the last 4 years and our endurance and speed has increased substantially.  Just remember, the runs should be in Z2 until you have developed your base; then you can add some strides once a week.

2012-10-24 9:30 AM
in reply to: #4460820

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
Asalzwed - 2012-10-19 12:32 PM

gsmacleod - 2012-10-18 7:39 AM
TrBeau17 - 2012-10-18 9:09 AM Do you guys/girls use a treadmill for some of your workouts?  I don't really like them but its easier to increase your pace. 
As I said earlier, I would spend the next 3-6 months running almost all easy; include some 30s strides but otherwise, lots of easy volume. Using a treadmill to force yourself to run faster is not the way I would go about improving run fitness or pace; run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard and your race pace will improve. Don't chase faster paces, let your training bring those paces to you. Shane

I love this and I couldn't agree more. 

Great advice here - thanks

2012-10-24 3:14 PM
in reply to: #4458632

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

As letting the training bring the faster paces to me, is that intended only as the overall pace getting faster, or adding a bit of speed into the runs?

I admit, I actually like adding harder efforts into my runs.  Occasionally I will go out for a 3-4 miler and just end up running it fast (for me) - even if I'm sucking wind, it feels really good sometimes to push like that.

I'll also occasionally set out for a similar run and end up doing an adlib fartlek (is that redundant?), because I like the intensity.

Am I setting myself up for injury doing this, or is it OK as long as it feels good?  Since I'm newly back into tris after MANY years off (read as: back into it with a different person's body than last time!), I'm concerned about injuries.  I just want to keep running "fun" though.

<hope this isn't a thread hijack!>

2012-10-27 12:57 AM
in reply to: #4458632

Competing for a racing upto 5 miles. What exercise must be done. Tips needed.

doctors note

2012-10-27 7:46 AM
in reply to: #4467615

Veteran

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=1612485;search_string=runtraining;#1612485

This is the link that will answer all of your questions.

As letting the training bring the faster paces to me, is that intended only as the overall pace getting faster, or adding a bit of speed into the runs?

I asked BarryP the same question and received this response: If you run 3, 6, and 10 mile runs at conversational pace week in and week out, your body makes small adaptations very gradually. This process makes you more fit which allows you to run faster. The biggest mistake runners make is to
think, "I'm in shape to run 8:00 miles, but I want to be in shape to run 7:30
pace, so if I start running 7:30 pace it will force my body to adapt." That's
not how it works. What you need to do is run 8:00 pace until you are in 7:59
shape. Then you run 7:59 pace until you are in 7:58 shape. Etc.

note: He does advocate adding a tempo run once per week after you have a very solid base.

2012-10-29 9:37 AM
in reply to: #4461341

User image

Veteran

I think that also is impossible to improve  running with two runs  a week that is why is better to run more frequently. Swimming technique can be improved with two swims a week.

Also I observed that is easier to lose fitness and speed in running . During the last summer,    I ran only about 12  miles a week, twice a week.  I spent a lot of time on tennis, so I put running on a back burner. My last 5k was 45 seconds slower than the one from June.

For some reason I do not lose much fitness and speed when I do not swim and bike a lot.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Increase running fitness Rss Feed  

of 2