General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How different are HR monitors (straps)? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-10-21 10:29 AM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Subject: How different are HR monitors (straps)?

I've been using my Timex Global Trainer for awhile now while training and just started having issues while running. It works fine on the bike but while running my HR is either dangerously sporadic or the monitor isn't working correctly. Shirts are the same I've been using all along. The temperature has gotten cooler if that has anything to do with it. Hit a max HR of 228 today, which I'm not sure is possible for me.

Basically are all HR monitors the same? Will this be an issue with all of them?

2012-10-21 1:18 PM
in reply to: #4462289

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
Subject: RE: How different are HR monitors (straps)?

Usually that's a sign of interference or poor contact with your chest or the like. And not all of them do that.

I had a Polar band that did that if it was not wet enough / tight enough.  The shirt didn't make a difference that I found.  If it had poor contact, then it started shooting up to impossible numbers like 230.  It  steadily climbed and stayed there.  Yet my other Polar band didn't do that and there was no apparent difference between the two other than one liked to do that more.  It was annoying.  Sometimes I'd have to take it off while cycling, get it wet with the water bottle or spit, and put it back on a little tighter.  Both of the bands were from about 2006.

So when I sold my CompuTrainer and included an HR band with it, guess which one I included? :-)

My wife's Polar band (which is thinner and narrower) never misreads like that, nor does my Garmin ANT+ band.

Edited by brucemorgan 2012-10-21 1:20 PM
2012-10-21 5:15 PM

User image

Groningen, Netherlands

I have an older Polar one which is basically all hard plastic across the front, and it would spike during a workout, as well as take forever to give a good reading.

With the garmin HR belt (both first and secon gen soft-strap) I get a signal almost instantly and it never spikes, until the battery is starting to die (which is a good sign to change it )

2012-10-21 6:25 PM

Veteran
Tennessee
Mine is doing the exact same thing. Worked great for 5 months but the last month it has been all over the place. One thing that works pretty good is to wet the strap with water closes to the snaps. I called timex and they are supposed to be sending me a replacement strap and transmitter. They were very nice and only took a couple of minutes. She just asked if I changed the battery and if I have the latest firmware. Which both were yes. She said if that didn't work they would send a new watch.
2012-10-22 7:01 PM

User image

Groningen, Netherlands
Wow great service. Yeah the weird thing is with my strap is that it works great for me but my girlfriend tried it once and it took alot longer for her to get a good reading. Or she just runs at my pace with a HR of 100... Yikes! Maybe chest position? I like mine quite tight, and i place them just under my nipples. My gf couldnt do this for obvious reasons
2012-10-22 7:43 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
It is probably slipping out of the proper position on your chest and giving you inaccurate readings. I had a Polar monitor with the plastic piece in the front and the standard strap and constantly had this problem; I checked HR manually a few times when it malfunctioned to confirm I wasn't fibrillating, or clinically dead, and it was fine. Had far fewer problems after I ordered a small size strap, which the site suggests for smaller women and kids. It still occasionally moves around if I'm running hard but is fine for biking. I later won a Sumito monitor in a race which comes with a smaller strap and it's been not only more comfortable but very accurate. The only issue is occasional odd readings when I'm in a gym with lots of people--guessing that others have transmitters as well, some of the machines have built-in monitors, and if nothing else the general quantity of electronics around might be causing interference.

2012-10-22 9:17 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, National Capital Region
Also, I think they wear out with time.   About every year, mine acts up, and changing batteries doesn't help it consistently.  However, I get a new strap and it works fine again for a while.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How different are HR monitors (straps)? Rss Feed