General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM Miami 70.3 newbie - need attire advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-10-23 12:04 PM

New user

Subject: HIM Miami 70.3 newbie - need attire advice
Hi,

I am new to the tri world and am doing the HIM Miami this weekend. Training has gone well and now I need to spend the next few days figuring out all I need to wear.

I already have tri shorts and have been running and riding in them to get used to them. All good there.

Now what else do I need keeping in mind the water is currently above 80 degrees and not likely to decline.

I don't think I will need a wet suit
Tri-vest. Any recommendations
Do I need special socks? One pair for bike and then dry pair for running?
Number belt?

I'm sure I'm forgetting some things.

Thanks so much in advance.

2012-10-23 12:08 PM
in reply to: #4465475

User image

Pro
Burbs
Subject: RE: HIM Miami 70.3 newbie - need attire advice
Is this your very first tri?
2012-10-23 12:25 PM

Providence, RI

Hey James-

Glad to hear the training is coming together. You dont need a specific tri-top (but can be helpful w/pockets). The cheapest way is to get a compression top that's tight and fits you well (easily found at Dicks, Walmart, whatever). Some dont wear socks on the bike or the run, but if youve been training with socks then go for it (I wouldnt change from the bike to the run however...every second counts!). Also, you dont need a race-belt per se, but its helpful (and relatively cheap to get)...you can have a few gels stored on the belt for the run (if needed).  Get yourself some sunblock, body glide, and sunglasses. Enjoy!

2012-10-23 3:46 PM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL

Top would be nice def not a necessity. If you get a compression top make sure it's snug. Any slack could cause chaffing (sp?)

If you've trained with socks I'd stick with socks. Personally for me I don't ride in socks but anything over an OLY I run in socks. Don't wanna change anything on race day.

I'd get a belt for your number, it's just more convenient. I'm sure you could pick one up cheap at the expo.

Is this your first tri? Have fun it'll be over before you know it Tongue out

2012-10-23 7:05 PM

User image

Regular
Huntington Beach, CA
helmet for sure!  I don't use socks or gloves for racing.
2012-10-24 6:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England

What have you been doing in training?  This close to the race probably best to stick with that.

Do with your socks whatever you have been doing in your bike/run bricks.  If you have been changing, change in the race.  The 20 seconds it takes to change will likely be a wash in your first HIM, you might even make it up by being more comfortable.

If you need a quick fix for a number belt take an old pair of (clean) boxers and cut off the waistband.  Attach safety pins for the race number.  Easy to twist the number from back to front for bike/run.  Voila instant number belt. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM Miami 70.3 newbie - need attire advice Rss Feed