General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kneecap pain and one week til NYCM... oh boy. Suggestions please! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-10-28 2:53 PM

User image

Regular
NYC
Subject: Kneecap pain and one week til NYCM... oh boy. Suggestions please!
Throughout my training, I've had slight knee pain occasionally and sporadically. It's in the front of the kneecap, and due to its symptoms, it seems like patellofemoral pain, or "runner's knee".

I've been foam rolling/tennis ball rolling my ITB, quad, and calves to attempt to loosen the surrounding muscles, icing the knee post-run, applying arnica cream, and getting ART on it (Graston). When running, I think about using my glutes so my hips/ITBs aren't taking the brunt of the pressure and hence pulling the kneecap out of line and create tracking problems.

With one week to go til the NYC Marathon, I ran my final long run of 12 miles yesterday and completed it at my usual pace, able to maintain my form. There was discomfort/pain (not sharp pain, but I would label it as pain) about 85% of the time in my kneecap- ranging in severity, but never so bad that I had to alter my form or stop running. It never got worse and worse and worse... it was just present... just there. Keeping a quicker pace with shorter strides felt like it kept it at bay and made it better. Today, though, I feel pain/achiness in my knee and have been icing. So I'm concerned...

So my question is... what do I do this week to prepare my knee the best I can for the marathon? I was planning on 2 small runs to loosen up- should I just do the elliptical instead? Wall sits and strength to attempt to get it to track properly? Should I use a strap beneath the knee? (I know, nothing new on race day...) Please, any suggestions are more than welcome. I'm a little worried with one week to go...

2012-10-28 6:28 PM
in reply to: #4472509

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Kneecap pain and one week til NYCM... oh boy. Suggestions please!
I would do the runs to see how you feel.  If the pain is at the base of your knee cap where the ptella tendon inserts it maybe patella tendinitis rather than PFSS.. I HATE the term runners knee. All it means is a person who runs who has knee pain.  If its more true knee cap pain a knee sleee that has a hole in it for your knee cap will help more than a strap.  The strap is more for patella tendinitis.  You could get one of those braces and try it. It certainly will do you no harm. The worst that will happens you won't like it and be out $20.   I know several orthopedists in the city if you want  referral let me know.  All of them are sports trained. 
2012-10-28 9:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin

Good luck.  I have some pain in my knee.  Not real bad and I feel it more the next day.  I took a week off.  I have been biking more.  Started back with a 30 min light run and I am going to take it slow. 

Let me know what helps.

2012-10-29 7:57 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA

Get a cho pat strap or similar. Any running store will have one.

http://www.amazon.com/Cho-Pat-Original-Knee-Strap---Medium/dp/B0000E5YWZ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1351558521&sr=8-2&keywords=cho+pat+strap

Wear it 24/7 until the race. Yes, even at night when you sleep.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kneecap pain and one week til NYCM... oh boy. Suggestions please! Rss Feed