General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Please explain "Being Overtaken and Passing" rules - second post Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-24 6:48 AM

User image

Regular
MN
Subject: Please explain "Being Overtaken and Passing" rules - second post
Can someone please explain the USAT Cycling Conduct of "Being Overtaken and Passing" rules to me.

I just did my first tri and had someone pull up along side of me to pass. I did not speed up or slow down but he looked over and said, "dude.........you gonna let me pass you?!!........"
He said more but that is all I heard.

I said............"I didn't know I was supposed to LET you pass me."

Then I find this USAT rule.

"5.10 Position Fouls.
(g) Being Overtaken. When the leading edge of the front wheel of one cyclist passes beyond the front wheel of another cyclist, the second cyclist has been "overtaken" within the meaning of these Rules. A cyclist who has been overtaken bears primary responsibility for avoiding a position foul and must immediately move to the rear and out of the drafting zone of the passing cyclist. The overtaken cyclist shall first move completely out of the drafting zone of the other cyclist before attempting to re-pass the other cyclist. In no case, however, shall a participant move into the path of another participant possessing the right of way."

I don't get it. Especially when there is also a rule that states:

"e) Passing. A participant who approaches another cyclist from the rear or from another unfavorable position bears primary responsibility for avoiding a position foul even if the cyclist being approached decreases speed. A participant must not attempt to pass another cyclist unless adequate space is available and the athlete is confident of his/her ability to pass the other cyclist. All passing is to be done to the left of the cyclist being overtaken unless otherwise specified."

Am I just being a little too competetive or just a newbie.................?

Help? Anyone?

Thanks.

rjd

2006-06-24 7:27 AM
in reply to: #464521

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: RE: Please explain "Being Overtaken and Passing" rules - second post

Yeah, this rule can definitely suck when the person passing you is not passing you very fast.  I once got passed on a hill at a race by a chick who really wasn't going fast enough to pass me.  Right before the crest she managed to get her wheel an inch in front of mine and then she DIED.  But who had to drop back? Me.  The second they get in front of you, YOU are the one who needs to be out of the draft zone.  Even if they are barely crawling past you.

It really isn't usually an issue.  Most folks know if they pass they need to PASS.  His choice of words to "let him pass" was probably poor.  You don't need to "let them pass" but once their wheel is in front of yours, you sorta do have to let them because you can't speed up to keep up or pass them unless you drop out of the draft zone first.  The responsiblity for draft space changes over when the passer creeps their front wheel ahead of yours.

Does that make sense?

2006-06-24 8:09 AM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Once their wheel is ahead of yours you have to drop back out of the draft zone. Of course, once you're out of the draft zone, you can then re-pass them. If they barely get past and die, you should only have to re-pass once. Annoying, but fair I guess.
2006-06-24 9:03 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Also, you have to be riding on the right.  Maybe you were riding too far out to the left and making it difficult for them to get by you?  You can't "block" a rider from passing (that's a position foul), but you can pedal faster and keep your wheel in front of them.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Please explain "Being Overtaken and Passing" rules - second post Rss Feed