United States
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 24m 51s
Overall Rank = 167/693
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 4/51
Pre-race routine:

Got to parents' house ~8:45 am. Leslie, Jason, and the kids got there a little before 9:30. Hung out chatting in the kitchen until it was time to go over to the start.
Event warmup:

I ran from the house down Wilbur to Lockhart and back around to the library.
Run
  • 24m 51s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

It's a 5K so I went with the "go out fast and see how long I can hold on" strategy. I liked the new course and felt like I ran as best as could be expected. Jason got a PR and Leslie also ran well.
What would you do differently?:

Not much... I was happy with my performance as it was my fastest 5K in awhile (since June of 2010).
Post race
Warm down:

Walked over to the water table and then went to find Grace who had my bag. Not much other than that.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of any speed work - I've been purely marathon focused so no speedwork for the short stuff.

Event comments:

This is a fun event that has really taken off. Officially there were 693 finishers, but apparently they ran out of bibs so there were some people who ran unofficially (including the race winner). Changing the course to enable chip timing was a smart move with this many people. Also they should move the water to right at the end of the chute. There wasn't much other than donuts and water at the end, but since we'll all be eating more than we should in a few hours it probably doesn't matter!

Last updated: 2012-11-16 12:00 AM
Running
00:24:51 | 03.11 miles | 07m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/51
Overall: 167/693
Performance: Good
Splits: 7:50, 8:20, 8:12
Course: This is pretty much the standard Guthrie Gallop course but they adjusted it slightly so it started and finished in front of the theater (at a timing mat!). Instead of turning on the street just past Valley Playland, it kept going straight and turned around at a cone near Ferry St.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes