General Discussion Triathlon Talk » saddle numbness Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-25 12:06 AM

Veteran
Subject: saddle numbness
After a long ride last week my genitals were left feeling a bit numb for a couple days. This was very frightening for me. What are some ideas for fixing this? will a gel seat cover help? or should i adjust my saddle position? Thanks for the help.

Travis

2006-06-25 8:05 PM
in reply to: #464825

User image

Expert
Montreal
Subject: RE: saddle numbness
It seems to happen to some guys and not to others. I've never had the problem but some guys I know have. One thing I know for certain about my saddle is that it is perfectly level - maybe you should give that a try first.

Good luck.
2006-06-25 10:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Queensland
Gold member
I think the condition (effectively a bruised nerve!) comes from the seat not being set right both in fore - aft position as well as nose up - down position. The more you sit on the horn of the saddle (especially when in the aero position) the greater the pressure on the affected area! Have you adjusted the seat lately, bought a new bike, got aero bars, etc?
2006-06-30 4:12 PM

User image

Expert
Wandering through AZ

In my experience the main factor is seat height. Whether that means changing the nose angle of the seat, or lowering or raising the seatpost to a proper leg extension height. A properly fit bike shouldn't give much if any problem.

That said, I have some historical hamstring issues that force me to keep my seat slightly lower than I'd prefer, and my nether realms pay for it. To compensate I got a profile design Tri Stryke based on this review.
http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/saddle06.shtml

If you tend to ride forward in the saddle in aero position and/or are are higher-weight rider, then look into a tri-specific saddle or a little extra gel. My only word of warning is not to go too deep on the gel and padding. If the saddle is extra gel padded and your shorts are heavily padded, then you can actually add pressure down there. The tri saddles are meant to be ridden in trishorts with less padding than your classic chamois.

The other common answer is the "anatomic cutout". Watch out for these. Most are no help at all since they collapse in on you and the pressure is right where you left it. The profile design has a reinforrcement to prevent that.

Happy riding,

Harry

2006-07-11 6:54 PM

User image

Elite
Evans, GA
I had the same problem and went to the LBS. They suggested a wider saddle with a bigger central grove to allow for bloodflow. It did the trick and I'm back to normal after long rides.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » saddle numbness Rss Feed