General Discussion Triathlon Talk » race site help question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-25 4:41 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: race site help question
My wife was doing her first tri today and had some troubles about 1 mile into the bike. She got a flat and I think she just got so frustrated she was unable to change it. So she hauled her bike all the way back to the transition area and as she was walking by somebody asked her for her timing chip. As she kind of looked at the guy and started to take it off he said in a surprised way, "well your not going to go back out are you?" So she gave him her timing chip and walked to the race site help area to get her tire changed. This really bummed her out and I think she would have went right back out after getting it changed but she thought she was basically out of the race because her chip was gone. My question is this, are you disqualified from the race if you get outside help in changing a tire? It wasn't like she was going to win anything. It was her first tri and she just wanted to finish the thing. I tried to talk her into just doing the 4 mile run but she had kind of lost her spirit at that time. Anyway, just curious as to what the normal protocal for something like that is. As a side note, when we got home she practiced changing her tire 3 times and signed up for a 4th of July tri that we will now do together.

2006-06-25 5:15 PM
in reply to: #465070

Pro
yep,
Subject: RE: race site help question
Not sure about the outside help. Not to into the rules as some of the other people are on this site.  I'm curious to see also.  I think if you get a flat you can get help, but other then the person not aiding them in the tri then things should be fine. Bummer on the race though.
2006-06-25 5:54 PM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Unauthorized assistance is only a time penalty - she would have been able to get the flat taken care of and get back out there - whoever took her timing chip kinda screwed up, IMO.
2006-06-25 5:55 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

USAT Rule 3.4 Race Conduct.

d. Unauthorized Assistance. No participant shall accept from any person (other than a race official) physical assistance in any form, including food, drink, equipment, support, pacing, a replacement bicycle or bicycle parts, unless an express exception has been granted and approved, in writing, by USA Triathlon. The receipt of information regarding the progress, split times, or location of other competitors on the race course shall not be considered the acceptance of unauthorized assistance. Any violation of this Section shall result in a variable time penalty.

If your wife was receiving assistance from the official bike support area, that isn't "outside assistance". Whoever it was that asked for the timing chip and said that to her was wrong to do so.

Good for her for learning to fix the flat and registering for her next one!

2006-06-25 6:06 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
That really stinks.   These are the kinda things you wish you knew before hand, but never think to ask or look up.  Good for her learning and practing how to fix a flat and signing up for another tri.
2006-06-25 11:11 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Yeah, it wasn't outside assistance if she was using the race site help.  Probably the guy could have been more polite, but I bet he was the one in charge of reminding all of the athletes to turn in their chips - and those things are expensive.

Yeah, he coulda asked in a different way, but don't be too hard on the poor volunteer either.  It's tough.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » race site help question Rss Feed