Drove the 2 hours to Amelia Island, Florida
Event warmup:

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 48m 15s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

In addition to the Half Marathon there was a 5k going on as well. The race started off in a residential area, the kind where the backyard is the beach and you can't help but to wonder just how much the homes cost. The first 2.9 miles were in this residential area, after that the 5kers split off to head to the finish line and the half marathon went of to the rest of the race. The majority of the race went through Fort Clinch State Park. I loved it. An asphalt road through a wooded area, all shaded on this warm December day.

The first half of the race through here was peaceful, I almost forgot I was in a race. I thought about Joel a lot, how much I miss him, and how much he would probably like this race. There were a few people in front of me I was following, and at any given time there was a guy or 2 next to me. I was approaching mile 6 and I was really wondering where all the women were. There were 100 more women registered than men, but where were they? There were 2 in front of me I could see, but none had passed me which was surprising since I am still finding my speed at the longer stuff. All the mile markers were wooden silhouettes of reindeer all dressed in a certain theme and there would be a prize if you could remember them all. I tend to zone out in running races so the only ones I remember were mile 5 where the reindeer was dressed as a hunter, and 11 where it was dressed as a Zumba fan. The aid station volunteers were really enthusiastic and had music playing so I looked forward to the aid stations.

I was chugging along pretty well until mile 8, where there was a fairly steep bridge to cross, I realized it was part of an out and back so I made a mental note not to attack it so hard the second time. We had to turn around in a neighborhood and then go back over the bridge to reach the mile 9 mile marker. Made it over the hill to head back into Fort Clinch State Park. Back into the park I saw all the people heading out to mile 7 and the bridge, and finally saw the women. Lots of them were running in groups, I got a bit jealous, it gets lonely being a lone runner at times.

At mile 10, I looked at my watch, did a little math, and realized I had a chance to go under 1:51. It would be a push, but I felt I could do it. The neat way the race was ran, it was chipped time, but only a timing mat at the start and finish, but they had volunteers at random spots all over the course to make sure nobody was cutting the course. Made it to mile 11 still on track, but I knew it was time to dig deep and really make it hurt. These last 2 miles seemed to drag, felt much longer than the first 11. At 12.7 the course finally left Fort Clinch State Park, a left turn, then a right turn to the straightaway to the finish line. Crossed the finish line in 1:48:15, a 12 second PR, but a PR is a PR.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, had a great race
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out with my family

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being a triathlete and working on 2 other sports in addition to running

Event comments:

Amelia Island Runner's Club put on an awesome race! Lots of activities for the kids and all the volunteer were friendly, cheerful, and enthusiastic

Last updated: 2012-11-10 12:00 AM
Running
01:48:15 | 13.1 miles | 08m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/22
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back through a state park
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]