General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New and in need of advice!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-27 1:08 AM

New user

Subject: New and in need of advice!!!!
I am new this year with Tris, Completed the hillsbough sprint. Have a buddy that does a great job of getting more out of me, but the problem is i have committed to the missionman in july. I have decent endurance, no problem getting on the bike and maintaining 15 mph for 80 miles, running 12-13 minute miles ( I HATE RUNNING) my major problem is breathing with swimminng. I have been told i have a nice stroke but i get this anxiety type feeling and im not sure if i breathing too much, breathing too deep to shallow or what. Example, I can go to one end of the pool and feel great on the way back i get 3/4 down and i get the feeling of not having enough air in my lungs. I really need help! Any suggestions???? And please be honest have i bit off more than i can chew i have a little over 4 weeks left and i am willing to get in the pool twice a day in necessary to finish the distance but is it enough time with the problem im having? i need to finish 750 in an OPEN water swimmm. What am i going to do????????

Funny thing, I use to be a life guard.

2006-06-29 7:31 PM
in reply to: #466882

User image

Expert
Raleigh, NC
Subject: RE: New and in need of advice!!!!
I have done eight tris in the past year (Triangle was my very first last year). It took me a couple of races to be comfortable during the swim portion of a race. The main issue with me was my exhale...I would go 100 meters or so and be totally out of breathe...wasn't sure why. I finally figured out that I was not breathing out completely when my face was in the water. Push everything in you lungs out...it will seem like you are exhaling way more than you inhale. And I switched from breathing every four strokes to every two.
I am a very anxious and nervous person to begin with, so on top of my breathing revelation, a few races under my belt made me much more relaxed as well. It will come to you...you just have to do it over and over. Do you have a lake near you where you can get in some OW practice? Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss...I might be at the Mission Man...I did it last year, not sure about it this year.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New and in need of advice!!!! Rss Feed