Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-27 1:33 PM

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois
Subject: couple wetsuit questions

Hoiya all,

I need a few opinions on wetsuit stuff.

First question, I have read the various pros and cons of sleeveless vs sleeves and am thinking I want to go with sleeves.  However, what is the warmest water temp you would want to swim in a full suit?  I know I'll be fine in sub 70 degree water but at what point is overheating an issue?  Does it even become an issue or is it more of a situation where if you can use a sleeveless you can use a full?

Second, promotion or desoto?  There is a significant cost difference here.  Is it worth the extra money for a slow swimmer to go desoto or am I better off using that cash elsewhere?  I'm pretty much a 2:30 per 100 (over distance) open water swimmer without a wetsuit.

Thanks much for any and all opinions.

2006-06-27 1:59 PM
in reply to: #467552

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: couple wetsuit questions

Just if you didn't know, if you are swimming in over 70 degree water, you are cutting it close to even when the RD will let you wear a wetsuit period. 

Regarding overheating, I think it's going to be a personal preference.  Some bodies are "hot" type and some are the colder type.  You may be able to gauge this by just generally, are you the type of person that seems to not wear a jacket when everyone else is?  Ultimately, you won't know unless you try it in the water though. 

But it kind of falls into your 2nd question.  I personally have desoto.  Nothing against promotion, I have heard great reviews on them on this board (but only on this board).   Reason I went desoto is because I had the same fear, and instead of buying two full wetsuits, one short and one long sleeve, which would be more expensive, I went with 2 piece desoto, and I have both the short and long sleeve top (with one bottom).  Just buying the top from desoto is cheaper than a full wetsuit.  When it is warmer water, I will wear the short and when colder, I will wear the long. 

So, my vote is long sleeve and desoto. 

2006-06-28 7:02 AM

I second the desoto. I got mine from eBay and it was cheap. I am using the long sleeve top and I swim fast and comfortable with it.
2006-06-28 7:26 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
I have the full Promotion and love it. It's easy to get on and off (while I see other struggle). There customer services is great. I will probably buy a sleeveless next year as it is slowly getting warmer. But eary season, there was no way I could have gone sleeveless.
2006-06-28 9:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Maryland
I am a newbie. These are some of the same questions I had last month. I went with ProMotion. I talked to them four times over a two week period (yes, they think I'm nuts, but who doesn't?) about their different products and sizing.

I do not do well in cold water (low body fat) and I thought a full suit would be my choice, but my fluid drive sleeveless is on the way. The sales staff at ProMotion said 63-65 is about the cutoff for full suit, plus you can get sleeves (basically a top) to go with the sleeveless. I was told on this forum that a bottom and top is a bad idea, too slow in transition, etc, but for someone just starting out having this as an option made sense to me. I'm not a pro, I don't have a sponsor, and I don't have unlimited resources. The sleeveless after BT discount is $143.65 and you can add the sleeved top for another $71.40, total $215, just $12 more than the full which is $203 (again after the awesome BT discount). I thought I wanted the full, but three of the four times I called ProMotion they said all I need is sleeveless when the water is above 63. If I'm still cold I will simply order the top.

I'll know more soon when my suit gets here. I can't wait!

Good luck, hope you get something you like.

Larry
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » couple wetsuit questions Rss Feed