General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trying my first TRY A TRI Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-03 2:09 PM

Subject: Trying my first TRY A TRI

Hi. I'm a 33 year-old female from Ontario and wanting to try my first try-a-tri (400m swim, 10k bike, 2.5k run). I am in decent shape but wanted an athletic goal for 2013. I am VERY bad at endurance and haven't trained in any of the 3 sports, so thought it would be a good challenge. 

I know those are small distances for most of you but for me it will be a big deal. Wondering if anyone has any training tips or where to start? (not sure if there is a thread for us short distance people??). Looking forward to learning and training!

2013-01-03 2:56 PM
in reply to: #4560373

Regular
Alberta, Canada
Subject: RE: Trying my first TRY A TRI
First off Congrats on setting this goal!

my tips would be to find some one who is someone competent at swimming or take a couple of lessons as it is very technical and can be very taunting to train at with out some help.

as for the other two get a bike( doesn't have to be expensive) and some decent runners and start!

the key is to swim bike and run!

don't worry about the distance start small you may feel like you are not pushing yourself! Only increase at 10%!

I would aim to be able to comfortable be able to do double of any of those distances in a single work out!

And if not do your race anyway! it will just tell you to train harder for your next one which I promise you will be doing for sure!

I did a sprint last year out of the blue and am
planing on 4 this summer!
2013-01-03 3:04 PM

User image

Stuart, FL

Congratulations!

You came to the right place. BT has some good programs for all levels and if you have any questions these forums can help. 

My tip for you is to look to your community and find a local tri group or running group (there are always a bunch of triathletes in them anyway) and get to know some of the members. Most triathletes are always willing to lend a hand and you might find someone to train with and keep you accountable to your training.

Good luck!

2013-01-03 4:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Congratulations for trying something out of your comfort zone Smile

What kind of swim will it be? If it's open water, you will want to practice before the event. Visibility is often bad, can be scary. It can also be hard to swim straight without a black line underneath you. It's good to experience it at least once before you're hyped up on adrenaline and jammed up against a lot of people.

If it's a serpentine or circle pool swim, you should still be prepared for some possible contact and bunching.

2013-01-03 4:36 PM

User image

Eastern Shore Maryland

Getting lessons for swimming is a big deal (especially if you don't have much swim experiece), even if is not professional. Any experienced swimmer can give you good tips. Look up some videos for tips as well. Running and riding are fairly straight forward for sprint distances. Running and biking are sports, swimming is an art. Swimming is all about technique. Learning the right way is far better than breaking bad habits later. Get out there and swim, bike and run. Good luck

2013-01-03 4:39 PM

User image

Expert

Do you mean Ontario, Canada?  If so, what part of the province are you in?  I live in southwestern ontario (woodstock).  you should stop by the Ontario board, we have pretty good coverage of the province.  What race are you looking at?

First goal would be work on the swimming.  Over the Winter I would focus on leaning to swim and getting up to being able to swim the entire distance without stopping.  you might need to take adult lessons if you are having trouble, it could easily be a problem with your stroke.  I would also try to do one spinning class a week and work on running - if necessary start at 1 minute run, one minute walk for half an hour and then build the run sections longer.  maybe 3 swims a week 2 runs and one bike?  at least until the weather improves and you can get on a bike outside.

BTW, I am 32, so close to the same age as you.

2013-01-03 4:44 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
dcrainmaker is a great tri blog that mainly focuses on gadgets, but he just wrote this article you might find very relevant:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/01/how-to-kick-start-your-way-to-your-first-triathlon.html

Edited by dfroelich 2013-01-03 4:44 PM
2013-01-03 4:54 PM

Regular
Toronto, ON

My first race ever was the Try-A-Tri last year at Binbrook (near Hamilton): see http://www.msctriathlon.com for a schedule of next year's races.  I also did the Toronto Island Try-A-Tri race and I think John Salt and his team do a great job.

I started training in March; I was NOT in decent shape when I started, but the race in June was still fun.

You can also find short races early in the season at Milton or Guelph through http://www.trisportcanada.com/home.php

If you don't run yet, I recommend the Couch to 5K running plan to start.  Even though you're looking at a run that's only half that distance as part of your race, you'll want the endurance to complete a standalone 5K because you're doing your run off the bike and swim.

Drop by the Ontario forum if you need anything.

2013-01-04 2:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Central France

Welcome to the world of triathlon! You may find that you become addicted to triathlon like some many of us. I did my first tri (400m swim-10k bike-3k run) in September 2011 and loved it.

Swim:  If you have little swimming experience you might want to take lessons. Make sure you swim on a regular basis and are able to easily cover 600-800m in a go. While I'm a good swimmer, the swim is what I find the most daunting whether it be open water or pool. My first tri was an open water swim and I almost had a panic attack about 75m out. Between not being able to see anything and swimming with a mass of other people I almost threw in the towel. If you can, try to swim in a crowded swim lane once in a while and try to do a few open water swims (if the swim in your Try a Tri is open water).

Bike and run:  Well, just bike and run. If you're not used to riding, it takes a bit to be comfortable out on the bike. Also, aim to be able to cover at least 1.5 to 2 times the distances of your tri which will give you a bit of extra endurance.

General advice:  Ramp up slowly even though at first the distances may seem really short. Use a training plan or create one based on what you find on BT. And practice transitioning from one sport to another. And last, but not least - have fun.

As for the "short" distance, that's all I do (nothing beyond a sprint). And while super sprints and sprints are short, the name says it all - you are basically going all out the whole time.

2013-01-04 3:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
If you like to read I found the book "An Idiots Guide to Triathlon" really helpful. Full of lots of good tips and hits and training plans for every thing from a supa sprint to a full Iron Man. And the best thing was that it was really easy to read and understand, it didn't use a lot of technical jargon.
2013-01-04 6:55 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Welcome! When is your race scheduled - i.e., how long do you have to prepare?

I would suggest you search for a training plan that looks manageable for you. There are many free plans available right here on BT, but you can search the web and find plenty of other free plans. There are also countless books of training plans out there...

With no background in any of the 3 sports, my advice would be to err on the side of being more conservative in adding volume (how many training sessions per week and how long each session is) or intensity (how hard you push yourself), especially at the beginning. Too many people jump in and blindly follow a training plan that might not be quite right for them and end injuring themselves. So, just because the training plan says to do X workout, doesn't mean you have to follow it exactly - listen to how your body is responding to the training, and if you're feeling sore or fatigued along the way, back off for a few days or take a day off.

The main thing is for you to get started. You'll need to figure out a training schedule that works for you. I would suggest at a minimum, 3 runs, 2 bikes, 2 swims per week. If you can manage more, that would be even better. All training sessions for now should be at a comfortable, easy pace that allows you to get back out and train again the following day. Building up your run training too quickly is the most likely place for developing training injuries, so exercise caution as you build your run. It's okay to use a run/walk combo as you build your running base. Make sure you have good running shoes (buy them at a specialty running store, not a general shoe store or department store).

As others have suggested, if you don't have any swimming background, investing in some lessons would be a good idea. Do you have a bike? Are you able to ride outdoors now, and if not, do you have access to either spinning bikes or a stationary trainer so you can train on the bike indoors over the winter?

Most of all, keep asking questions. This is a very welcoming and supportive community, and nearly all of us were exactly where you are now at some point. I would also suggest you make use of the training logs you'll find here. That way if you have questions about your training along the way, the great BT minds can take a look at what you've been doing and be better able to provide more meaningful advice.

Good luck!!!

2013-01-04 7:07 AM

Hi, from Ontario also. At 49, I was in a similar spot last January,  first did the Couch to 10K training and did a 10K in May, then ran/biked over the summer and did a Try-a-Tri at Lakeside in Sept. I was running 5K and biking 18K while training during the summer. I felt I had plenty of juice left after the Tri so the comments on training 2x the Tri distance seem to hold. I kept holding back on the course thinking that I would tire out if I ran or biked hard but I think I could have gone a lot harder.

I was absolutely terrible at the swim portion, partly through lack of training and partly through inexperience with a wetsuit, which kept bunching up at my chest on every stroke, but otherwise did well and finished reasonably near the middle of the pack (that's a new category I just made up).

I think you'll probably be in better shape than you think for a Try-a-Tri if you start training now, so you may want to consider aiming to do one early enough so that you can do a second (or even a sprint...) if you like it. I had a real blast and regret having done it so late in the season. 

You may want to choose a race or races that have a smaller turnout, just to minimize the logistics hassles on raceday. You can review the previous years of races on the organizer's website and read race reports here on BT. Lakeside is an MSC race and was very well organized, so I would recommend any races that they do. 

If you have any trepidations about the swim, you might try the Niagara (Grimsby) Try a Tri...the water course is along the shore of Lake Ontario and shallow. I watched it last year and people took walk breaks during the swim. But even at Lakeside a few people were taking breaks by hanging onto the support kayaks, etc., though I'm guessing the organizers would prefer to avoid that.

I don't know what Sprints or Olympics are like, but it seems like at Try a Tris it's all about having fun; you get a wide variety of participants in terms of ability and everyone is pretty relaxed. 

Good luck and have fun. 

Edited by tjbergen 2013-01-04 7:16 AM
2013-01-04 9:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL

Congrats and good luck. Lots of free plans here on BT to get an idea about training. Lots of very smart and experienced folks on here too to help with any questions.

2013-01-04 10:19 AM

User image

Hi there,

I'm 34 and a fellow Ontarian (I live in Toronto). I just did my first try-a-tri last year in Windsor and was hooked. Now planning Sprints/Olympic distance this year.

I've gotten some great advice here - and also just joined a mentor group. You might want to do that, some are still open I think. I've already got some great answers/ideas from mine.
2013-01-05 5:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I spend half my time in Ottawa so if you are close by and looking for places to train, I can help

In the SBR utopia mentor group there are a few folks from Ontario. And PEI, and Alberta ......

2013-01-05 8:47 AM
in reply to: #4560807

Hi. Binbrook is the one I am thinking of signing up for. What did you think of that location as a first time racer?

Thanks everyone for all the great support and encouragement. I'm looking forward to challenging myself. I have signed up for 4 private swim lessons to work on my stroke, and will work at running and biking as well (in the gym for now). I'll head to the Ontario board and check out the site more.  

2013-01-05 6:29 PM
in reply to: #4563281

Regular
Toronto, ON

Binbrook's a good first race, with one caveat.  The lake water (at least last year) was not very clear, so if you're not comfortable in open water, it might be claustrophobic.  Having a wetsuit (and having worn it a few times before the first race) is a good security blanket; wet suits float.  The bike course is flat and the run is on a trail through the conservation area with only one small hill.  Transition area is straightforward layout, and Hero Burgers at the finish line make this guy happy.  My world's most self-indulgent race report (2800 words for a super sprint?) is here.

Edited by fishwallop 2013-01-05 6:30 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trying my first TRY A TRI Rss Feed