General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clean eaters: what are your vices? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-28 1:32 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Subject: Clean eaters: what are your vices?

Question for those of you who avoid processed, refined and chemical-full foods and have adopted a clean eating philosophy:  What's your vice?  What thing(s) do you feel you maybe should give up but can't?

I tend to make good choices all day long: whole oats, fruits, egg whites, greek yogurt, non-hormone chicken, cooking dinners at home every night, homemade gluten free bread, almond butter made of plain almonds.

But the one thing I cannot give up is Splenda/fake sugar.  I don't do regular sugar at all (but maybe once in a blue moon and I always feel pretty yucky after) but I love sweet.  I can't live without Splenda in my coffee, my oatmeal, my tea.  And I also take a splash of processed to crap sugar-free Coffeemate in my coffee every morning.  And while I'm confessing, I must chew at least 3 pieces of sugarless gum a day.  It's a processed chemical, the jury's kind of still out on Splenda but I just doubt it's great for me.

I'm just wondering who else proclaims themselves to be a clean eater but can't give up that "dirty" little something??

2013-01-28 10:39 PM
in reply to: #4598109

User image

Subject: RE: Clean eaters: what are your vices?
For me I still like to get Natural Bliss coffee creamer and Kettle Brand potato chips w/sea salt. I guess the chips aren't terrible with three ingredients and Id like to think they are as the bag claims simple but Im always skeptical. I really crave the chips usually at the end of the day, it has been suggested that its my body wanting the salt. I think we all have things that aren't "clean" but I like to think that eating right 99% of the time is still better then eating processed crap 98% of the time. 
2013-01-30 11:58 AM

I almost can't live without coka-cola. I used to drink about 2litres of it a day and started to feel more and more ill and if I tried to stop I would feel ill and shakey! Now if I have even a little glass it just cascades into a cola binge!!
2013-02-05 2:30 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
I live in Chicago.  I will never be able to give up sausage pizza.  Ever.
2013-02-06 12:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas

Honestly, I have a few. 

I have switched to Stevia in my coffee and oatmeal, but I cannot seem to give up the flavored creamers in my coffee! I have tried the flavored stevia, almond milk, etc, but just can't get past the taste.  So, I have a packet of stevia and a tablespoon of carmel brulee, french vanilla or some other yummy flavor.  6 grams of sugar and a bunch of other crap!

I also have one diet coke a day.  Not coke zero, but diet coke.  I can't help it, I need it for my afternoon pick me up at work.

Finally, when I want something sweet that is not a fruit, I eat about 10 of those mini-teddy grahams.  They are just sweet enough to satisfy my sweet tooth.  I figure 10 of those is better than running out and getting a cookie or cupcake!

Edited by aggiegrad96 2013-02-06 12:34 PM
2013-02-07 5:13 AM
in reply to: #4611356

aggiegrad96 - 2013-02-06 6:33 PMI can't help it, I need it for my afternoon pick me up at work.

Finally, when I want something sweet that is not a fruit, I eat about 10 of those mini-teddy grahams.  They are just sweet enough to satisfy my sweet tooth.  I figure 10 of those is better than running out and getting a cookie or cupcake!

hah the dreaded Sweet Tooth

2013-02-07 8:13 AM
in reply to: #4612251

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas

hah the dreaded Sweet Tooth

Yes, it is a daily struggle to avoid the cookies, cakes and candy in the office!  But, it has gotten easier. 

Edited by aggiegrad96 2013-02-07 8:23 AM
2013-02-08 1:01 PM
in reply to: #4611356

User image

Try Annies bunnies usually found in the natural/organic section of the super market.

They are lower in sugar then teddy grahams.

Since my son is allergic to eggs, I make everything at home. I don't feel its so terrible to bake your own cookies with sugar/flour/milk and eat a few once/twice a month. Its alot worse to eat store bought cookies with half of the ingrediants you can't pronounce.

On a side note, you can subsitiute ingrediants and make the cookies healthier.  Process some pecans/oats into a flour and add to your recipe for added nutrition.

Alton Brown has a recipe for Lentil cookies. They are quite good. My  kids love 'em!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/lentil-cookies-recipe/index.html

Edited by LPJmom 2013-02-08 1:01 PM
2013-02-12 1:36 PM
in reply to: #4601433

New user
Akron

Quintillion - 2013-01-30 12:58 PM I almost can't live without coka-cola. I used to drink about 2litres of it a day and started to feel more and more ill and if I tried to stop I would feel ill and shakey! Now if I have even a little glass it just cascades into a cola binge!!

2nd Coca-Cola.  The first big sip from a feshly opened can, ahhh. I'll buy a few of the small cans as a reward, and end up pouring out the last 1/2 of each can.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clean eaters: what are your vices? Rss Feed