General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Late season starter. Anybody else? Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2006-06-30 4:01 PM

User image

Expert
Portland
Subject: Late season starter. Anybody else?

I have been thinking about doing a triathlon for some time, but never seemed to have the time to train.  I lurked on BT for a few weeks and then I finally stopped making excuses and started training in earnest this past month.  Previously, I have only done the occasional 5k although nothing for the past two years due to running injury.  I was initially thinking about doing my first triathlon next spring, after getting a year of training under my belt, but everybody at BT is having so much fun with this that I'm thinking of trying a sprint in August and possibly an Oly in September.

Is anybody else doing their first Tri late summer, early fall?  Am I crazy for considering an Oly after only 14 weeks of training?

MikeJ

2006-06-30 5:41 PM
in reply to: #471345

Veteran
silverton oregon
Subject: RE: Late season starter. Anybody else?

Yes I'm new and a late starter too.  I'm doing mine in September which by most the tri calendar looks to be the one of the last races.  I don't think it's to late to start and train.  Good luck to you and looking forward to seeing you train.

2006-06-30 6:16 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member

Your swimming seems ok, biking you have a few long rides logged.  How are you in running?  If not that good, it may be pushing it on the run-although doing the walk-run in training or racing is a good option.  But if knocking out 30 minutes now is no problem, then go for it.

Look at the 8 week and 12 week Silver Oly plans from Mike Ricci and see how they look starting in two weeks...

OR, more conservatively, do one of the 12 week Sprint plans, race your sprint, then you can go with the 7-10 hour winter maintenance program for 20 weeks, then follow-up with the aformentioned Olympic plans for next spring???

2006-06-30 6:41 PM

I too just started training in ernest and will attempt my first triathlon in late august. I don't know what kind of shape you are in but I am going to try my first Oly next season after I actually get a solid base of training down. If you do do an Oly let me know how it goes and I wish you luck on your sprint.
2006-07-01 12:49 PM
in reply to: #471454

User image

Expert
Portland
Ron - 2006-06-30 7:16 PM

Your swimming seems ok, biking you have a few long rides logged.  How are you in running?  If not that good, it may be pushing it on the run-although doing the walk-run in training or racing is a good option.  But if knocking out 30 minutes now is no problem, then go for it.

Look at the 8 week and 12 week Silver Oly plans from Mike Ricci and see how they look starting in two weeks...

OR, more conservatively, do one of the 12 week Sprint plans, race your sprint, then you can go with the 7-10 hour winter maintenance program for 20 weeks, then follow-up with the aformentioned Olympic plans for next spring???

I've been without decent running shoes for the past two weeks, so my run training suffered in June.  I feel pretty good about my running although I am more accustomed to shorter runs (i.e. 5K distance) and I seem to struggle maintaining a pace less than 8:30/mi after the 6th mile. I was going to try gel packs for runs that go longer than 45minutes and see how that works.  I like the 12 week silver Oly program and I think I can squeeze enough time to do most of it.

2006-07-01 1:02 PM

User image

Expert
Portland

Meredith and csmulet

Good luck with you training. I will add you to my friends list and follow your training and races.   Feel free to add me to yours.  I will keep you posted.

2006-07-01 2:46 PM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
I too am a late bloomer. I am an avid runner, and I am running in a 1/2 marathon in Sept. However, I have also signed up for a Super Sprint Aug 12th so I am frantically trying to get into swim and bike shape. I love to run so my problem is trying to run less and swim and bike more. My swimming is my weakest of the three...but my super sprint is a pool swim and only 250 meters. I hope I am able to do this...I know I am rushing things. Any training suggestions? The whole thing is 250m swim, 9 mile bike and 3.1 mile run.
Good luck everyone!
2006-07-01 5:29 PM
in reply to: #471808

hey there canadarn2001... will this be your first tri?

I'm trying to find a nice sprint one too. However, I want to wait until I get my new bike and that might not be until August.

Good luck on your tri
2006-07-01 6:39 PM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Technically it won't be my first triathlon. I have done one in the past...many years ago when I was in high school but it was a very short one as it was for those under 16. It is my first sprint. I decided that I would be ok b/c I have enough of an endurance base with my running but I do realize swimming and biking use differnt muscles and I am ok doing each on it's own...it's just putting it all together and doing it all in a row!
I am just borrowing a bike for now...we'll see how this one goes and then I will decide on whether to get a bike or not!
Good luck to you!
2006-07-03 2:40 PM

Lakewood, Colorado
I too am a late season starter. Have Fun with it! I am forcing myself to build a solid base before I start "racing the clock". I am not training for the championships or anything, but I do want to be competitive. I absolutly will not race until next spring. The hope here is that I will not push anything to far and do something dumb like run until I get a stress fracture. Nice and easy gains...I have 7 months to prepare.
2006-07-03 3:16 PM

User image

I also started late this year.  I have never really trained like this before but I am not in horrible shape either since I have stayed relatively active with MTB, hiking and alpine skiing.  However, taking on an OLY is way out of my realm of imagination right now.  I was going to wait until Aug. 12 (there's a sprint race in my area that is popular) but then one of the girls that I have been training with talked me into an early sprint (as in this weekend).  So I jumping in head first (hope the pool is deep enough so I don't crack my head).  By my standards I have been training like a maniac but I guess thats what you have to do to get ready for these races. 

I guess my recommendation (for what its worth) would be to do a "sprint" first.  Starting with an OLY is very adventurous and in my opinion should only be done if you are already pretty fit -- and only you can answer that 

2006-07-03 7:58 PM
in reply to: #472990

User image

Expert
Portland

Robert,

I agree that building a good base is crucial.  I struggled with some kind of muscle or tendon issue in both my calf areas for the past three years.  I wanted to do some local races (runs) and then build up to tri's.  The problem I encountered was that with any type of speed (i.e. pace faster than 8:30) I would "pull" something in my lower leg.  It was extremely painful and would prevent me from running comfortably, even slowly for 2-3 months.  I never got to the bottom of the problem, but decided to spend 16 months "base building"  I ran short runs (>5miles) and slowly (>10 minute miles).  What a difference!  Check out my training log now! I have been able to do roughly 8 minute miles for as much as 8 miles and no problems with this for over 6 months (cautious knock on wood here).  I was going to focus on my running races this year and "tri" next year before my 40th, but reading stories on BT has got me pretty jazzed to do something this year.  I tend to be a little impulsive, which doesn't help.  Good luck with your training and your base building.  You won't regret it.

Mike

2006-07-03 8:03 PM
in reply to: #473012

User image

Expert
Portland
Jak - 2006-07-03 4:16 PM

I also started late this year.  I have never really trained like this before but I am not in horrible shape either since I have stayed relatively active with MTB, hiking and alpine skiing.  However, taking on an OLY is way out of my realm of imagination right now.  I was going to wait until Aug. 12 (there's a sprint race in my area that is popular) but then one of the girls that I have been training with talked me into an early sprint (as in this weekend).  So I jumping in head first (hope the pool is deep enough so I don't crack my head).  By my standards I have been training like a maniac but I guess thats what you have to do to get ready for these races. 

I guess my recommendation (for what its worth) would be to do a "sprint" first.  Starting with an OLY is very adventurous and in my opinion should only be done if you are already pretty fit -- and only you can answer that 

Jak-

Good luck with your sprint this weekend. I look forward to reading your race report. Are you doing the sprint with your MTB?

Mike

2006-07-03 8:18 PM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Just a question...since I am a strong runner and I am planning on an Aug 12th tri...how much swimming/biking should I be doing at this point? Is it possible to overtrain in swimming?
2006-07-03 10:07 PM
in reply to: #473158

User image

Jak-

Good luck with your sprint this weekend. I look forward to reading your race report. Are you doing the sprint with your MTB?

Mike

No on the MTB -- I have a new road bike that I bought although I am a bit nervous about riding it in a race as I have only put about 30 or 40 miles on it since I got it.  But I'm going to go for it and hope I don't get a flat.  I don't have a flat tire repair kit yet

2006-07-03 10:15 PM

I am... thinking of doing a late try late fall... but not sure if I can even find one.

I don't think you're crazy... 14 weeks is a long time to train...

but then my ex-boyfriend might say I'm crazy , and so might he new girlfriend. The fact of the matter is, is that my thumb nail broke and I can't type for ****.

2006-07-04 6:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
I too am a late starter in so many ways.

Having been reasonably fit a few years ago I am now the proud father of twin girls and the not so proud owner of a large stomach, legs like Max Wall and, following several years of smoking and drinking, a physique to match that of a professional darts player.

Notwithstanding these slight impediments to being a world class athlete I entered my first tri in September (500m swim, 9 mile bike and 3 mile run) and, in the best traditions of training, I spent the first week or so honing my training plan!

My girlfriend thinks that the whole thing is hilarious and is playing the part of Satan well, tempting me with cigarettes and alcohol at every opportunity but I have so far held firm and have been running, cycling and swimming for almost a week now and have managed to give up smoking (for about the tenth time in my life) and am avoiding the dietary temptations that comes from living in the north of England.

Mikes point that everyone seems to be having fun with this, certainly seems to be true. Every comment on this site and the others out there in the tinternet exude enjoyment. I am hoping that some of this will rub off on me!
2006-07-04 9:18 AM

User image

Regular
West Lafayette, IN
You are not crazy. My goal had been to finish a tri before I was 30...that didn't happen. Now my goal is to finish one before I am 40 (October). I am attempting that goal in September with a sprint (500 S, 16 bike, 4 run). I was an avid swimmer and biking has never been a problem with me, but running doesn't seem to fit too well. I am very nervous about not completing this goal. I have paid my entrance fee, posted the confirmation on my bathroom mirror and told several people about it. What is the best way to train if you do not have a coach, personal trainer, or a gym to go to? I have a 12 week program from BT that I have been following, and I use the pool where I teach. What are some motivators that I can use? My family does not understand a tri and therefore their response has been "okay mom, you go do that."
2006-07-04 10:01 AM
in reply to: #473361

User image

What is the best way to train if you do not have a coach, personal trainer, or a gym to go to? I have a 12 week program from BT that I have been following, and I use the pool where I teach. What are some motivators that I can use? My family does not understand a tri and therefore their response has been "okay mom, you go do that."

It sounds like you are doing the right thing.  Pick up one of the plans and gently start following through with it.  Just logging my training helps me stay motivated.  I like to see the miles and minutes build up through the month.  See if you can find someone to do some short runs with;  See if you can find someone to go biking with;  Training with someone is really helpful.  I wouldn't recommend doing all your training with someone but a couple times a week is nice.  I also noticed that after about 1 month of training my body started getting more thin and trim -- thats a nice reward and helps to motivate me.   It doesn't happen overnight but it does happen if you are consistent.  Although I seem to be unable to keep my own advice, I think the best thing that you can do is go very slowly.  Start out very small and gradually increase.  Its very easy in the beginning and you think you are not doing anything but you are.  You are laying a foundation which will help you in the long run.

2006-07-04 10:17 AM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Good Advice Jak! We all want to go hardcore when we first start b/c we are so motivated and then if we too much too soon we burn out, get injured and lose interest. I agree with getting a partner or a group to do some of your training with as well. They will keep you accountable b/c you won't want to have to cancel or miss a run/bike with them. Plus, it's a great way to be social!
Are any of you finding you are much more hungry lately? And wanting more carbs? I seem to eat non stop!
2006-07-06 2:31 PM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
I don't think you're crazy (well, everyone who tri's is a little crazy but you know what I mean ). I did my first sprint on 6/26 and I only started tri training on 5/1. If you have a small base (I'd been swimming 2x a week) then it can totally be done. What's the worse that can happen? You walk the running part? So what? Racing is FUN!

Best of luck with your training!

2006-07-06 9:49 PM

User image

Expert
Portland

Well.. thanks in part to the encouragement on this thread I went ahead and made it official and registered for the OLY in Sept.  It will be 4 weeks after my first TRI, a sprint distance.

Mark and Kristen.... I don't know about other people but the biggest motivators for me have been the weight loss, feeling stronger on the bike, on my runs, in the pool.  Following my progress with my logs has been a big motivator.  Often after a workout, my foremost thought is 'when will I get to a computer to log that workout?"  Keep reading postings on BT, especially the ones about people's first TRI experiences. 

(if you haven't checked this one out, I highly recommend it.  It's hillarious!!)

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=689

Good luck to everybody on this thread with you training, and Jak who is doing a TRI this weekend.  GO JAK!!

Mike

Edited by MikeJ 2006-07-06 10:00 PM
2006-07-07 8:35 AM
in reply to: #475698

User image

Back at you Mike!  Thanks.  I am starting to get a little adrenalin flowing along with a few butterflies.  Fortunately, I am going down and racing with a couple people that have done this race before.  I think I know what I'm in.  Tomorrow I will be a triathlete
2006-07-07 10:31 AM

Lakewood, Colorado
Go get'em Mike and Jak! Have fun...
2006-07-07 8:45 PM

Regular
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Jumping in here -- I am a late-starter, too. My first tri will be Sept. 16. It's a sprint - .5m swim, 15m bike, 3m run.

I have good endurance overall, but NO skill on the bike. I am basing my training on the 16 week 2x balanced plan I found on the site (I think written by one of the veterans who posted on this thread!). I cut out the first month, and I'm adding a little time to the runs and swims. I will be riding my MTB fitted with slick tires and a new seat for the tri. I know I will not be fast, but my goal is just to finish!

I will be keeping track of you guys! Best of luck to all!

KC
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Late season starter. Anybody else? Rss Feed  

of 3