General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Late starter Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-05 7:19 AM

New user

Stevenage (30 miles north of London)
Subject: Late starter

Hiya all,

I'm 47 and want to do an Iron man before I'm 50..  Bit of a task I know,  I've been running on and off for 16 years I suppose and can still comfortably run for an hour. I completed 3 London marathons, though the last was 10 years ago.  I've always swam but never competitively. This week I cracked a 2 mile pool swim in about 80mins. My weakest is cycling,  I do cycle most days but only a few miles to work and back. As age and rhuematatics take their tole, my knees and flexabilty also seem to be abandoning me. That aside, plan to do a couple of olympic distances this year and build to a half ironman next year.. full one the year after.

Andy

2013-02-05 8:58 AM
in reply to: #4608990

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
Subject: RE: Late starter

No such thing as a late starter.  One of my good friends is a 70+ year old triathlete who started around the same age as you.  You'll do great. Looks like you're already training for distance and with a few marathons under your belt, you're way ahead of the average starter.  

Lots of great people to seek advice from on here.  

Are you in London?  If so, there are a few fellow Londoners on here as well.

Fire away with any questions you have in TriTalk.  BT is one of the most welcoming and accepting of first-timer type questions.  You can try searching for topics, but if you just fire off a question, people may link you to the previous thread of that topic.  

Again, welcome to BT and good luck in your training!

2013-02-06 9:52 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Welcome to BT.  Never too late to start.  I did my first triathlon age 50, which was three years after having open heart surgery. 

I'm going to be 60 in a few months and find that I need to be careful about giving myself enough recovery time as I get older.  I've had some overuse injuries with my running, but have found that they can be managed using good form and with properly fitting running shoes.

Sounds like you're coming from a good background with your marathon experience and understand the principles of endurance training.  My only suggestion might be to find a training plan to follow.

Good luck,

Mark

2013-02-11 6:58 AM
in reply to: #4610949

New user

Stevenage (30 miles north of London)
2013-02-11 11:35 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
Welcome to BT.  I started back in 2008 when I was 48.  Sounds like you're in a good starting position with a swimming background and your running.  FYI, until last year, biking was never my best event.  Last year after putting in more miles, biking moved up to 1st or 2nd. 
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Late starter Rss Feed