General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Desperately Need A Ten Week Training Schedule For First Half Iron Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-13 7:39 AM

User image

Philadelphia
Subject: Desperately Need A Ten Week Training Schedule For First Half Iron

Good morning everyone.  I'm completely struggling with training for my first half ironman, the Bassman, in Port Republic NJ on May 5.  My local indoor pool has been out of commission for 3 weeks, I've caught two consecutive viruses that put me out of commission, and I have been working ~65 hours per week.  Thus far, I've only been able to fit in about 2 (1 hour long) spin classes and a 2 hour ride on the trainer each week, along with about three days of running (6 miles per run) and zero swimming.  I've managed to train for marathons, Olympic distance tris, and a century ride in the past year, but have just been crushed with a confluence of events like never before.

My hope is that over the next 11 weeks I can fit in 35 swims (including 3-4 long open water swims), 3 bike rides per week (long 40-50 milers on Saturdays) and 3 runs per week, so that I can at least finish the race.  My work schedule is fluid (I hate not having a set weekly training regiment) but my hope is that this training would at least allow me to slog across the finish line.   

Anyway, enough complaining, and thanks for reading.

2013-02-13 7:55 AM
in reply to: #4620264

Veteran
sacramento, Colorado
Subject: RE: Desperately Need A Ten Week Training Schedule For First Half Iron
Put your head down and get her done!  You can do it!
2013-02-13 8:33 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Sounds like you've already mapped out a reasonable plan and just need to stick to it.  Only suggestion I would offer would be to consider making one of the three runs a long run.

Mark

2013-02-13 8:38 AM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
I ended up getting a plan on training peaks - they have 8 and 10 week plans so you might want to check it out
2013-02-13 9:29 AM
in reply to: #4620380

User image

Philadelphia

Thanks for the replies everyone! 

I'll definitely check out Training Peaks.  I've printed out a 16 week plan from Tri-Fuel, but I've been limited during the first five weeks of it.  At this point, I'm taking the 12 hours of weekly workouts and doing them whenever I can, as opposed to the order they're supposed to be in (which I know can be dangerous).  For example, I know I have all day Saturday open, so that's my 2-3 hour bike ride, plus short brick at the end.  I also have all day Sunday, so that's a recovery run plus a longer swim.  During the week I'm doing what I can, especially on the bike (which I am pretty bad at) and swim (I love to swim but am flat out slow).   

So, the last 11 weeks will be an exercise (pun intended!) in cramming in a good amount of training without ending up injured.  I'd feel really stupid if the HIM was a disaster because I didn't train hard enough, so I'm really going to put my foot on the pedal now.

Thanks so much for your input.

2013-02-13 10:36 AM
in reply to: #4620500

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

You could consider upgrading your BT account to a Gold membership. The custom plan creator that comes with Gold is perfect for this sort of situation.  Details here:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/members.asp?s=16&rcol=a&co=2

2013-02-13 12:53 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Heh. I'm the queen of the ER-to-IM in 8 weeks plan ... it hasn't worked yet but I'm very hopeful!

You've gotten some good suggestions above. Another one is to look at (the book) Be Iron Fit by Don Fink ... it has three training plans with varying levels of time commitment, but there is a half-iron "practice" race at Week 22 for all of them (of a 30-week program). Many people have used it to train and execute a half-iron. I'd look at Weeks 12-22 of the various plans and see what might work for you.

It sounds like you have some good running base from the past; one way I've been able to put in a LEETLE more run volume than I might otherwise have is to add aquajogging minutes at the end of swims (and outright aquajog, say, an hour of a three-hour run).

Welcome to BT, by the way, and good luck!

2013-02-14 7:22 AM
in reply to: #4620907

User image

Philadelphia

Thanks, those are great ideas!  I upped my membership for a month and received some assistance with creating a custom plan, it looks like a winner (the swimming drill videos are also really helpful)!  And I hadn't even thought about aquajogging but will give that a shot too, I remember how helpful it has been in the past. 

Honestly, I read about those on the forum who pull off full ironman training with full time jobs and multiple kids.  I would love to do that some day but I think it might require me getting a different job!

Thanks again for all your advice. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Desperately Need A Ten Week Training Schedule For First Half Iron Rss Feed