Other Resources My Cup of Joe » CNN anchor wonders aloud if asteroids are caused by global warming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-02-15 1:50 PM
in reply to: #4624091

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
Subject: RE: CNN anchor wonders aloud if asteroids are caused by global warming
blbriley - 2013-02-15 1:40 PM
GomesBolt - 2013-02-15 11:34 AM
dontracy - 2013-02-15 1:06 PM

BrianRunsPhilly - All I can say is, G-d bless all BT'ers. From asteroids to Teletubbies in less than 5 hours

What would actually happen if an asteroid of that size hit the earth? 17,000 miles is pretty darn close.

I'm thinking global warming would be over because the sky would be filled with dust and keep solar radiation out. Is it big enough to do that?

Seriously, what would happen?

Not so seriously, if global temperatures dropped because of dust in the sky, would global warming activists be calling for the burning of more carbon fuels in order to increase CO2 in the atmosphere in order to heat up temperatures? Would there be bumper stickers that read, "Love our Mother - Drive an SUV" or "Wind Energy Just Keeps You In The Cold"?

It's the same size as the one that hit Arizona and killed all the giant sloths and mammoths.  But I don't think it was an End of Life Event for the whole Earth. 

According to the below websites, it had the force of 2.5 Megatons of TNT.  The Tsar Bomba Russian Nuke was reduced from 100 Megatons to 57 Megatons.  It didn't end life on earth.

http://www.barringercrater.com/education/impact_process/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barringer_Crater

According to Eugene Shoemaker, a Hiroshima-level explosion happens every year on earth somewhere over the ocean or over uninhabited areas.  I guess he knows what he's talking about since he's the guy who discovered that comet before it hit Jupiter and NASA buried him and his wife on the moon. 

Carolyn Shoemaker is still alive.  And, they (NASA) took some of his ashes to to moon.

My bad, you're right.  I thought for some reason that it was he and his wife. 

2013-02-15 1:56 PM
in reply to: #4624101

User image

Kido - 2013-02-15 1:46 PM

According to Eugene Shoemaker, a Hiroshima-level explosion happens every year on earth somewhere over the ocean or over uninhabited areas.  

As in currently?

Maybe back in the day...  I guess I can't imagine that if a Hiroshima level explosion happened, even at the north pole, it wouldn't make the news or go noticed with all the tracking and observations we do.

Plus the earth is 2/3 water, so reason to stand that 1 out of 3 years it would hit land mass.  Half of that is populated, so 1 in six hears a atom bomb type impact?

I thought earth was 70% covered by water.  But I digress.

This was from the wikis on this. 

Holocene impact events

The late Eugene Shoemaker of the U.S. Geological Survey came up with an estimate of the rate of Earth impacts, and suggested that an event about the size of the nuclear weapon that destroyed Hiroshima occurs about once a year. Such events would seem to be spectacularly obvious, but they generally go unnoticed for a number of reasons: the majority of the Earth's surface is covered by water; a good portion of the land surface is uninhabited; and the explosions generally occur at relatively high altitude, resulting in a huge flash and thunderclap but no real damage. Some have been observed. Noteworthy examples include the Sikhote-Alin Meteorite fall in Primorye, far eastern Russia, in 1947, and the Revelstoke fireball of 1965, which occurred over the snows of British Columbia, Canada.

The implication is that it's still happening about once a year. 

I heard that in the observatory in Flagstaff and I always believe what people tell me if they're wearing pocket protectors with a slide rule in it...

ETA the Wiki Page on impact events. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_event

Edited by GomesBolt 2013-02-15 1:59 PM
2013-02-15 2:12 PM
in reply to: #4624101

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Kido - 2013-02-15 2:46 PM 

Plus the earth is 2/3 water, so reason to stand that 1 out of 3 years it would hit land mass.  Half of that is populated, so 1 in six hears a atom bomb type impact?

Matt's 70% correction aside, no... it would mean that once a year an impact would have a 1-in-3 chance of being over land.  If it happened to roll the 1, it would then have a 1-in-2 chance of being over a populated area.

So, it doesn't mean that there'd be one over a populated area every six years.  It means that each time one comes by each year, it has only a 1-in-6 shot, at best, of being over a populated area.  Totally different.

2013-02-15 2:58 PM
in reply to: #4624047

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Kido - 2013-02-15 1:17 PM
dontracy - 2013-02-15 11:06 AM

BrianRunsPhilly - All I can say is, G-d bless all BT'ers. From asteroids to Teletubbies in less than 5 hours

What would actually happen if an asteroid of that size hit the earth? 17,000 miles is pretty darn close.

I'm thinking global warming would be over because the sky would be filled with dust and keep solar radiation out. Is it big enough to do that?

Not so seriously, if global temperatures dropped because of dust in the sky, would global warming activists be calling for the burning of more carbon fuels in order to increase CO2 in the atmosphere in order to heat up temperatures? Would there be bumper stickers that read, "Love our Mother - Drive an SUV" or "Wind Energy Just Keeps You In The Cold"?

I was listening to Neil DeGrasse Tyson the other day and he said there are no earth ending asteroids anymore that we need to concern ourselves with...  So rest easy! 

Now, there are plenty of "kill all life on the planet" ones to look out for.  But the earth isn't going anywhere!  WooHoo!

I'm just scared the great omniscient is gonna decide that humans were a waste of time and decide that the dinosaurs were way cooler.

Then we'll be the very fossil fuels that Velociraptors with laser guns use to power their SUVs. 

2013-02-15 3:02 PM
in reply to: #4623732

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
scottydawg92 - 2013-02-15 11:48 AM

This is the best thread I have ever seen....

Just a couple questions...where is Al Gore to claim he invented asteroids?  And where is Dan Quayle to misspell "asteroid?"

Not sure about Quayle, but I'm pretty sure that Mr. Clean-Green is somewhere living it up on the millions he got from HUGE oil for selling he flop of a TV network.

2013-02-15 3:04 PM
in reply to: #4624075

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
GomesBolt - 2013-02-15 1:34 PM

dontracy - 2013-02-15 1:06 PM

It's the same size as the one that hit Arizona and killed all the giant sloths and mammoths. 

I've been to Arizona and I can tell you with 100% certainty that there are plenty of sloths and mammoths left there. Just not the furry kind.

2013-02-15 3:30 PM
in reply to: #4624235

User image

Champion
Chicago
sesh - 2013-02-15 2:58 PM

dontracy - 2013-02-15 11:06 AM

I was listening to Neil DeGrasse Tyson the other day and he said there are no earth ending asteroids anymore that we need to concern ourselves with...  So rest easy! 

Now, there are plenty of "kill all life on the planet" ones to look out for.  But the earth isn't going anywhere!  WooHoo!

I'm just scared the great omniscient is gonna decide that humans were a waste of time and decide that the dinosaurs were way cooler.

Then we'll be the very fossil fuels that Velociraptors with laser guns use to power their SUVs. 

Is it too much to ask to get a frickin' velociraptor with frickin' laser beams on their frickin' heads?
2013-02-15 3:53 PM
in reply to: #4624283

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
mr2tony - 2013-02-15 3:30 PM

Is it too much to ask to get a frickin' velociraptor with frickin' laser beams on their frickin' heads?

I tried to get some, but they were put on the endangered list.  It would have taken months to clear up the red tape.

2013-02-15 4:58 PM
in reply to: #4624323

User image

sesh - 2013-02-15 3:53 PM

I tried to get some, but they were put on the endangered list.  It would have taken months to clear up the red tape.

I think it'd be easier to reanimate a velociraptor using DNA from the velociraptor and an alligator host than it would be to strap a weaponized laser to anything's head.  Those things are still pretty huge and require a substantial power supply...

What I want is a Wooly Mammoth so I can ride it home despite the traffic.  I think that would be fun.  Smash Smash Smash.  Then he could eat the cedar trees and help central Texas with the water problem.  

2013-02-15 5:06 PM
in reply to: #4624393

User image

Elite
Cleveland
GomesBolt - 2013-02-15 5:58 PM

I think it'd be easier to reanimate a velociraptor using DNA from the velociraptor and an alligator host than it would be to strap a weaponized laser to anything's head.  Those things are still pretty huge and require a substantial power supply...

What I want is a Wooly Mammoth so I can ride it home despite the traffic.  I think that would be fun.  Smash Smash Smash.  Then he could eat the cedar trees and help central Texas with the water problem.  

Careful, if not supervised properly things can escalate quickly...

2013-02-15 5:11 PM
in reply to: #4623263

Expert
For a group of highly intelligent people(who think they are triathletes), why in the he!! do you watch and believe ANY of the major(or minor) networks anymore. They are all dead. Its all opinionated. Its highly falsified. It is amazing how people watch and believe. I do give kudos to Al. He is full feces, but used capitalism to its finest. Hopefully his $$$ will be rightfully redistributed, no matter how hard he "worked."

2013-02-15 5:13 PM
in reply to: #4624402

User image

cgregg - 2013-02-15 5:06 PM
GomesBolt - 2013-02-15 5:58 PM

Careful, if not supervised properly things can escalate quickly...

Couldn't see that on my computer at work, but got it on the phone.  Worth it.

2013-02-15 6:08 PM
in reply to: #4624393

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
GomesBolt - 2013-02-15 4:58 PM

But the wooly mammoth flatulance would increase carbon emissions, thereby exacerbating the global warming crisis, which would in turn create more asteroids.
2013-02-15 6:27 PM

User image

Elite

Global warming helping to cause asteroids?  How silly.

Everyone knows asteroids are caused by too many guns.

2013-02-15 7:03 PM

Master
Houston, TX
Sadly it's leading to the decline of pirates around the globe.
2013-02-15 8:29 PM

Expert
Global warming(caused by man) is silly...

2013-02-15 10:00 PM
in reply to: #4624458

User image

Pro
ChineseDemocracy - 2013-02-15 7:27 PM

Global warming helping to cause asteroids?  How silly.

Everyone knows asteroids are caused by too many guns.

I though they were caused by reading while on the pot? Trust me, I'm a doctor.
2013-02-16 12:25 AM
in reply to: #4624555

User image

Pro

mad-dog - 2013-02-15 8:29 PM Global warming(caused by man) is silly...

No, really, man is in control of the Earth......the Earth is completely at our mercy.  We will be here long after the Earth is gone.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-02-16 12:26 AM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » CNN anchor wonders aloud if asteroids are caused by global warming Rss Feed  

of 4