General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Critique (Video) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-21 4:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah
Subject: Swim Critique (Video)
I'm interested in some feedback on my swim stroke. I want to get faster and better. I started swimming about 1 1/2 years ago when I got into Triathlon. Self coached through youtube and total immersion. I didn't go through the whole TI mumbo jumbo but with that stroke and a lot of hard work I went from a 2:05/100yd to a 1:17/100yd in that time. My easy comfortable pace is 1:20-23/100. This is a race pace for me. I can go as low as 1:08/100 and 1:02/100 with a wetsuit (all this timed in the same pool). The video is a side view from the deck. You can change the quality to 720p as well. Thanks.

http://youtu.be/zH1Dh-hPN2w

2013-02-22 8:20 AM
in reply to: #4632256

Expert
Subject: RE: Swim Critique (Video)
Looks good to me. Very nice progress! Keep up the great work.
2013-02-22 8:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

I grew up competative swimming since I was 5 through high school, then started Tri's in college.  Did coach a few local teams for a couple years.  Overall stroke looks pretty good.  Your hips and kick looks a little off.  Looks like your hips are a little low and looks like they move a little side to side as opposed to just rotating your body.  Rhythm of your arms is nice but seems a bit choppy try to smooth it out with a few drills like the armpit drill.  Pull your thumb all the way up your side into your armpit but do it very slow and methodical.  Try to get a little more glide out of each pull, drill could be the catch-up.  Work on keeping your legs closer together, pull bouys can help.  Your legs look like they are seperating sideways when you kick instead of seperating stright up and down.  This could also be due to the excessive hip rotation and movement.

Your overall progress and stroke is great though!!!

2013-02-22 9:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

You and I have very similar builds, stroke rates, and times, so I'll pipe in with a couple things I'm working on, hoping that it helps you as well.

I see in your stroke the same thing that's in mine which is that you rotate a slight bit more on your right side than your left while breathing. It doesn't create a huge imbalance, but it does require a slightly different distribution of strength from side to side, and I find that my right delts are more fatigued over the course of a long swim than my left, which over time deteriorates the stroke quality as I compensate. You might not experience this, but I do, and if I focus on it I balance a little better, which brings me a bit higher in the water/makes me faster.

I'm also working on entering the water more efficiently with my hand and quickly getting extended, which means spearing more at a down angle than straight out in front. Poor description maybe, but I see you do this well with your right arm, but your left arm is flatter in the water on entry, so there's some extra resistance there. Can't see your catch and pull but we can all increase our strength and make that less prone to breaking down over the course of a long swim. Your efficiency is decreasing with each length - you start with 18 strokes, then 19, then 19 again, then 20. I'd guess that after 500 yards or so you're probably closer to 21 strokes per length. I have the same thing going on, which I attribute to strength. 

Out of the pool, I'm always stretching my streamline form as much as I can, until I can wrap my shoulders around my head. Can't be flexible enough.

Also been experimenting with the fact that I occasionally lock up a calf or foot arch after longer sessions. The people I've spoken to suggest it might be low potassium levels, so I'm banana loading before my session tonight to test it out. Any ideas for me? (not to hijack, sorry).

What do YOU see in your stroke you want to work on?

2013-02-22 10:00 AM
in reply to: #4632997

User image

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah
One thing I don't seem to understand is the point of entry for my hands.  I know that I load and rotate a little heavy on my right side stroke then I kind of forget about what my left arm is doing which causes it to dip quite a bit lower than my right.  I know my head is also a little high and I cross over center line slightly with my right arm.  I don't know why but the thought is in my head that I my hands need to enter in the water in a stabbing motion to make a hole in the water so the rest of my body can swim through that.   I continue to see gains but I think some of it is attributed to my overall fitness and I just swim hard every time i'm in the pool.  I think I'm getting to a point where my form is going to have to get better if I want to keep improving.  I do the TI stroke and I feel confident doing that but I have been told I should switch to a flutter kick again to gain more speed on shorter distances.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Critique (Video) Rss Feed