General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Door County - Long course bike Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-05 1:17 PM

Veteran
Stoughton, Wisconsin
Subject: Door County - Long course bike Question
Has Anybody done the long bike course? I am curious about the uphill part of the bluff. Unfortunatley I won't be able to make it up to Door County until the Friday before the race
Thanks

2006-07-06 12:09 PM
in reply to: #474301

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: Door County - Long course bike Question
I did the inaugural event last year - long course - for my first triathlon. I finished 23rd overall (2:33:55) and 3rd in AG (my swim leg really sucked since I had less than 1.5 months of swim training completed starting from scratch).

I didn't think the bike course was that tough. Unfortunately, my memory isn't good enough to give you much detail. Seems like there was one long, gradual climb but nothing like the hill portion of the run leg. The hill on the run leg was pretty tough, although it wasn't super long. It was a very hot day last year. Sorry I wasn't much help. Good luck!!
2006-07-06 3:46 PM

Veteran
Stoughton, Wisconsin
this is good information. The hill, to me, doesn't sound that bad, but the website is making it sound hard - must be a marketing ploy
2006-07-09 4:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Falls Church, VA
Although I've ridden the oly course a few times this year, I rode it this morning while taking some mental notes to post here.  First, let me say that I have a Clydesdale's climbing ability, meaning very little, so a difficult hill for me, may or may not be for you.  I don't have a good way of measuring inclines but I think I stuggle on 8% grades and steeper.

OK, the first half, south on bayshore drive (Cty B) is flat and since I was riding north this morning O only did the second half.  The total climb is about 220 feet, but its really in four manageable climbs.
Coming down Cty B you turn onto Gorden Rd (Cty BB).  The hill starts close to the turn and is relatively short so carry as much speed as you can through the turn and you'll be half way up the first climb before your know it.  It does start out fairly moderate and the angle increases but it doesn't get very steep (which I define as needing to be in my easiest gear, 39x25).  At the end of the climb there in a slight decline before the turn.  Next you turn onto Cty HH and you get a flat road before you hit the next climb.  This climb is fairly mild and short and I spun up the slope.  You again get a slight down slope at the top before the next climb which is by far the longest climb, but it still doesn't require a hard climbing effort, as I think I spun up it in a middle gear going about 13 mph (zone 2 effort).  This puts you at the top of Dunn Road where you make a quick right and a left where you can see the last climb which is short and sweet.  So overall, you get to recover between each of the climbs  making the effort much more doable.  Once you get to the top (you'll see an antennae farm to your left) it's mostly downhill.  The remainder of the distance on top of the bluff is what I would call country rollers with more down than up, and the ups are short enough and close enough that momentum can do a lot of the work.  Finally you tour onto Carlsville Road which is a major downhill, I can easily hit 40 mph going down this road.  It does level out well before the point where you have to turn right back onto Bayshore Drive, so you won't have to brake off your speed, most of it is bleed off naturally before you need to turn.

Part of my ride this morning I decided to ride Bluff Pass Road, which you Oly people have to run up, now that's a hill.  I was in my easiest gear, standing on the pedals, and I still had to tack up the hill (zigzag back and forth).  So far that's the steepest hill I've found around here, I knew there was a reason I signed up to do the sprint.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Door County - Long course bike Question Rss Feed