General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Argon 18 E80 - thoughts? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-03-18 6:21 PM

New user

Subject: Argon 18 E80 - thoughts?
I've just recently determined to pick up the sport of Triathlon. I have had some higher level athletic experience in my past and need to get back in the game! Triathlon's seem like the perfect outlet!

That being said, Tri-suits are relatively cheap as are running shoes, but when it comes to the bike--well, I haven't bought one in a long time and WOW are they pricey!

I have been searching online for used bikes and it's been pretty hit and miss price-wise and you don't truly know what you're getting. So today I went to my local bikeshop and found that they have a 2011 Argon E80 on sale for $1000. Includes a custom fitting and three tune-ups...

I think I've found a great bike for a beginner--what do you think?

2013-03-18 6:48 PM
in reply to: #4665201

User image

Veteran
Chicago (Old Town)
Subject: RE: Argon 18 E80 - thoughts?

Question - Do you currently have a road bike?  If not, I'd recommend getting a roadie before a tri bike.  Especially if you're picking up the sport.  A roadie will be great in tri's, plus easy to ride around town.  I won't ride my tri bike unless I'm in a race or on an open country road with little distractions.  You'll find you have less control in a tri-bike and your brake reaction time is a lot slower.

Having said that....I have no idea if it's a good deal.  I don't know much about Argon bikes.  Good luck and welcome to the sport!!!!!

2013-03-18 7:42 PM

New user

Thanks for the "welcome"!

I don't have a road bike--just a mountain bike. Actually thought about using that for a sprint last fall but I didn't get around to it.

I've seen used road bikes too and they are all 600-800 dollars (Devinci, older Trek, Specialized) without the benefit of the dealer purchase. I would probably want to put tri-bars on any road bike at a cost as well, so financially i think the tri-bike is as good a deal as any. I do live where there is a lot of open road so that's not an issue with training/braking.

I'd like to get to a 70.3 by the end of next summer and I think this bike can do it...?

2013-03-18 9:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Minnesota

It's a great bike!  I have an 09 and love it.  For 2010 they upgraded it and Bike radar did a review on it and riders said it flew and was a solid bike.  

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/time-trial-triathlon/product/review-argon-18-e80-11-45069

At that price it's a steal and if it fits you will love it!  

2013-03-19 6:01 AM

New user

Thanks lakeland...

I slept on it and think I'll pull the trigger today! It does have great reviews and I should be able to grow with it for a few seasons!

See you in Maui in a few years!
2013-03-19 6:34 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
There's tons of discussions regarding road bike vs. tri bike. But... a tri bike is a really dedicated bike, good at one thing only. If you do not intend to do group rides (although it does depend on the group, some will allow a tri bike), organized rides (charity rides or centuries for example) and live in terrain that is conducive (not super hilly or extremely technical), then a tri bike is a good choice. If any of those apply to you, then you should probably stick with a road bike.

2013-03-19 11:20 AM

Having done well over a dozen tris and having dropped significant money (to me) on a tri bike, I would say get a road bike first.  I did my first half on a road bike and came in under 6 hours.  You'll find the bike is less important than the rider!  As others have mentioned, a tri bike is only good for tris.  I would recommend getting into the sport and getting some experience.  If you are jumping right to the IM distance, then a tri specific bike may be worth the money, but at shorter distances a road bike is fine.  In fact, I am racing at HIM St. George in May and have opted to ride my road bike because of the course.  Tri bikes aren't always better.  Good luck.
2013-03-19 5:46 PM

New user

Thanks everyone! Great input! I will probably pick up a road bike for training purposes. I don't ride other than training and tri's. Not in any cycling clubs. My strengths are the run first, secondly the swim and lastly the bike. But at this price for the tri-bike I can probably make most of my money back on it in a couple of years!?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Argon 18 E80 - thoughts? Rss Feed