Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-07 10:17 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: IM Wisconsin Recon Trip
If you don’t want to read the whole thing, here is the executive summary:

Total climbing: Just over 10,000 ft

Relax factor: Low (based on constant gear changes)

Wind: Didn’t seem that much of a factor the day I went

Shade: Not a lot

Gearing: You will NEED a 27. Not might/recommend...NEED

Bike: Tri-bike. The aerobars give you a place to "rest" and unwrap your food. Plus a road  bike won’t help you that much IMHO.

Longest climb: ½ mile or so

Longest decent: 1.5 miles w/ .75 really downhill

Total hills: 40 hills on the 42 mile loop. That’s right sports fans...80 hills total!

Note: The hills grow on the second lap! At least I think they did...

Details:

Date: 6/2/06

Conditions: Overcast 1st loop, sunny 2nd loop. Average temp: 88

First off, the lake is pretty clear in regards to being able to see your feet. Although I didn’t get a chance to swim the course, I waded in the water a bit. There are some weeds, but even in chest deep water, you can still see your feet. No worries here. They actually have a "lawn mower" that cuts the weeds that grow in the lake.

You go up a parking ramp (no kidding) and T1 is located on top of a parking garage.

You start out along a path which curves around the lake. This takes you to a big parking lot of a civic center/basketball area thing. Use these few miles to get your wits about you because it’s flat and wide open. When you start to leave town, it’s still not noticeably uphill except for the couple of freeway overpasses you’re on. The road so far is pretty good no big potholes or anything like that. Some of it has recently been repaved.

The first real hill comes around mile 10. After a right hand turn, you can see it coming from a good bit away. It’s not that bad, so don’t get concerned. This is where I got my first flat. So I got all the bad Karma out of the way for the Bter’s!

The next 5 miles or so are downhill pretty much. Use this time to eat some food and take the fluids in. You’ll go through a park and that should be the first water bottle exchange. Leaving the park (mile 16 or so), you’ll go left onto a road and then you’ll turn right under an overpass (Valley Rd). This is where the first of the climbing begins. At the top of Valley Rd, there is a right turn that continues upwards. You might want to down shift for this one. It’s just a short uphill, but you lose a lot of speed going into it. After that, there is a nice little down hill where you can catch your breath and get ready for the steady up’s of County Rd - G. G is a long steady up and down road. Nothing really bad, you are just constantly doing something in regards to shifting gears. That’s about 5 miles long. When you get to the end of G, it’s a 90 degree turn onto 92. You WILL want to drop to your small chain ring in the front! After the turn, it goes up for about 100 meters. You will lose some major time, frustration and leg strength if you don’t drop to you small chain ring here. This caught me by surprise the first and second time. The road T’s, so you can see it coming.

Now you’re on 92. I think this is the 2nd best part of the course for sheer beauty. This is some of the most gorgeous country-side. The hills aren’t bad, just constant through here. At the end of 92, you’re 30 miles into the ride. You’ll know you’re about to make a right when you see a school on your right. Big football field and all. Now you’re in Mount Horeb. You’ll head down 8th St. And around a traffic circle. Be careful because there is a bit of a dip as you go into and out of it. But the roads are still pretty smooth. When you get here, if you haven’t been eating...EAT...EAT...EAT!!! The next 5 miles are the best to get your body ready for what I think it the second hardest part of the course. This is your last chance to relax and prepare before you go to work. When you make a left onto Witte Rd, take a moment to look around because this is as beautiful as it gets! There is a big blue Silo to your right and it’s gorgeous. You’re still going up and down and little to no flat. Some stiff, but short stuff here.

You’re approaching the most fun part of the course! You get onto Garfoot and then make a left and right continuing onto Garfoot. After this nice little climb, get ready to FLY. You come into a series of S turns. Starts off with a right hand turn and then a left hand one. NOW pay attention. It looks sketchier than it is!! The first turn your instincts want you to brake, but try not to. It will be difficult if you have traffic in front of you braking, but try and go around them and keep your speed. I averaged 30 mph through this and the next mile. After the S turns, it goes up a bit and then back down. The reason I say keep your speed is because you want to carry your speed over the little uphill. If you slow down, it will cost you about 1-2 mph on the ensuing flat portion at the bottom of the hill. When Garfoot goes flat, take in some food. You have flat road for about 2-3 miles. This is a section where I learned something about Wisconsin. Here in the "south" we fill the cracks in the road with asphalt. In the north they fill the cracks with TAR. You’ll see the cracks in the road filled in with a black substance. DO NOT put your tire in it. You’ll feel yourself sink. It won’t throw you, but you’ll get really uncomfortable. It’s no issue when you’re crossing over it, just don’t ride in it’s groove.

After you cross through Cross Plains, you’ll find the 3 hardest climbs on the course. You’ll smell them coming. I say that because this was the only spot on the course that I could smell the cows. You pass between 2 farm houses and across a ‘one lane bridge’ and you can see the first climb. You’re are now about mile 42. The first one isn’t that bad but apparently the locals will be there in full force. Just imagine you’re climbing Al Duez (sp) because you will fell like it next time you see this one. :P I recommend just spinning up this one. Conserve and enjoy the people and cowbells if you can. The second climb comes fairly soon. It’s steeper and shorter, but not as nasty as the third one. I think it just looks intimidating because it’s so soon after the 1st climb. Look for the devil and Spider man costumed folks. Let the cowbells guide you to the top. I recommend getting out of the saddle for this one purely because it will give your legs a chance to change it up.

The third and, I think, hardest hill is a couple of miles down the road. Take the time to get some nutrition if you can. Be on a constant look out for fluids. Even if you’re bottles are full when you get to a water stop (and they SHOULD NOT be), take a bottle, drink from it and toss it. As you finish up Timber Lane, you will be approaching the hard hill. They just repaved it, so that’s a good thing. You’ll make a left and up you go. The first time, I spun up it the second I survived up it out of the saddle. When you get to the top, make sure you let out a WHOO HOO! Also, look at the house on your left. It’s beautiful and it’s for sale. Much more than I can afford, but maybe not for you. Take the 5 seconds to enjoy your accomplishment by looking out over the hill, not back down it.

The rest of the way is not too bad. You’ll make a left after a golf driving range and head into Verona. BE CAREFUL when you get onto Cross Country Rd in town. There is a big bump in the road from the middle to the right side. If you don’t see this coming, it could launch our water bottle off your bike. I was 3rd in the pace line and had to bunny hop it. About a mile later, there is another one. No need to slow down over them, just let your body absorb them. I just warn against being in the aero with all your weight down and you will get a nasty little surprise. You head back through the park and go for the second loop.

My nutrition was great until the back half of the second loop. Keep in mind that you will see those three nasty hills at miles 80 - 90 of the bike. You will want to take fluids every chance you get! It was overcast for the first loop and sunny for the second just for reference. On the way back, it’s some rollers with the last hill coming about 10 miles from the finish. I got very excited as I climbed this one. It has painted on it, "last hill..." That motivated me a lot. Then I saw painted on there, "Now Run". At the time, I was excited by this. But I can also see it taken both ways depending on how you’re feeling at that point on the bike. :P

Take the last 10 miles to drop about 10 bpm on your HR if you can. You can still keep your speed, but let the relative downhill do some work for you. You have a couple of overpasses, but nothing major. Set yourself up for the run.

I ran a bit of the run course and didn’t find it all that bad. A couple of climbs that I would be unwilling to call them hard. And I’m from Florida, so that is saying something.

This workout was a 112/4 so I could get a feeling how I would be after the bike at IM MOO. Mentally, I felt great on the bike but did NOT want to run afterwards. I spent the last 10 miles dreading the run. Even after I got off the bike, I didn’t want to run. But once I took my first couple of steps, my body didn’t mind at all. I say this because I’m sure we all will be hurting puppy’s when the run starts. But the body knows we are capable so let it do it’s thing. HOLD back the first miles and settle in. My HR didn’t go down until about a mile - 1.5 miles into the 4 mile run. Granted it was elevated because I was dehydrated, but none-the-less. Another reason to go slow and stay hydrated.

I hope this helps anyone doing IM MOO! I am really glad I saw the course ahead of time.

2006-07-07 10:20 AM
in reply to: #475967

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: IM Wisconsin Recon Trip
2006-07-07 10:43 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Wow, great recon for IM Moo'ers! 

Now if you'd just take a short flight over to Coeur d'Alene ...

2006-07-07 12:23 PM

User image

Elite
Evans, GA
reading this just freaks me out that I signed up for IMAZ next April. Thanks for the insights. Great post.
2006-07-07 1:29 PM

User image

Regular
Madison, WI USA
Great job on the report. Even though the course is a few miles from my house and I am doing a good chunk of my training on it I really enjoyed reading your report! I learned things that I did not even know (40 hills, never really thought about it that way). Good luck with your training!
2006-07-07 2:14 PM

User image

Ambler, Pa
Total climbing: Just over 10,000 ft

Great read but that elevation gain doesn't seem right for Moo. How did you get that number? Everything else I've seen has the number in the 7,000-8000. Somewhere around 7500 seems to be more consistent with the elevation profile and the general descriptions of the course. Additionally, when I checked on MB it seems like the avg elevation for the course was shown as somewhere between 6800 and 8000 (max listed value).

2006-07-07 3:17 PM
in reply to: #476216

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

Trouble,

I used my S625X altimeter.  I recalibrated it before the ride.  I did have some fluxuation between the two loops.  I did the first loop and started another file for the second.  I took the difference between the two ascent readings, divided by 2 and added it to the lower number. 

Since it was overcast the first loop and sunny the second, I figured it would be different.  I know it's not overly accurate (weather front, etc), but that's just what I got.

Hope that helps.

2006-07-07 4:07 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago

FWIW.  I rode the course 5 times before IMWI 05 last year (not including race day) and I've never had any data over 7,300 ft of climbing.

Additionally, the part of the course they changed last year just before the race (about 4 weeks before) didn't change the elevation more than about 300 ft.

I agree, 10,000 ft seems a bit odd.

2006-07-07 4:20 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

You guys have WAY more experience on the course than I do.  I'm just going by what my "much smarter than I" watch said.

But is seems that the consensus is between 7000' & 8000' ft, so I will call it 7500'.

Couldn't update the main one.  Sorry.

Update:  Elevation:  About 7500 ft.

Edited by Marvarnett 2006-07-07 4:27 PM
2006-07-07 5:04 PM
in reply to: #476336

User image

Ambler, Pa
Have you checked out "Simply Stu's" videos about the course at Youtube. I got psyched just watching them. You would think IMNA would put a drive through of the various courses on the official Ironman website. Obviously they could compress the time scale, but it would still be cool to see.

Swim Course and Transition Video and fun on the bike course.
2006-07-07 5:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Awesome report Dan. Thanks so much for taking the time to write it out for those of us that will see the course for the first time Sept 8th or so. I keep watching the Dings on Southwest but it's looking like I won't be getting out there so this is very helpful.

2006-07-07 8:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison, WI
Dan...

Great Report. Hope you had a great time...

Here's some addition notes for everyone...

T1...
After you come up the helix from the swim, you'll run past porta potties and run into the Monona Terrace. you'll run into the bag drop room. After grabbing your bag, you run into a room to change. There will be plenty of volunteers to help you out. Then you run out of the room, to the suntan lotion people, the porta potties, and then you run into the bike transition (top floor of a parking garage w/ no shade). It's really long from entrance to exit so you might choose not to put on your shoes unless you like running in cleats. Remember no shoes on the bikes!

Take a look at my article for the aid stations. The first station is on Whalen right after you pass Fitcharona Rd (about 13 miles out). There is no aid at firemens park. However, on the second loop, special needs will be on the side of the road when you left onto Paoli after the park. Second aid station is after the climb and curve into Mt Horeb at the High School. Important to note is that with the addition of the 2 miles to the loop last year, the distance from the Verona aid station to the Mt Horeb aid station is about 16 miles, the longest on the course. This bit many people in the @$$ last year. Third aid station is on Bourbon when you come into cross plains. And the last aid station is on Main St in Verona by the High School. There is no where to refuel between Cross Plains, the 3 hills and Verona.

Hopefully it won't be a problem this year, but Mt. Horeb ran out of everything on the bike (h2o,gatorade, etc). They were refilling bottles and aero tanks from a hose. I think it was a combination of the extreme heat AND the increased distance between the verona and Mt. horeb aid stations...

Edited by BadgerIronMan 2006-07-07 8:43 PM
2006-07-07 9:35 PM
in reply to: #476410

User image

Elite
Chicago

BadgerIronMan - 2006-07-07 7:35 PM Important to note is that with the addition of the 2 miles to the loop last year, the distance from the Verona aid station to the Mt Horeb aid station is about 16 miles, the longest on the course. This bit many people in the @$$ last year.

excellent you mention this mike!!  i tell everyone I talk to doing IMWI for the first time the same thing too.

in Verona be SURE to top off your aerobottle with water (or wherever you're keeping your water stores) and take an EXTRA water bottle and place it in your jersey pocket.

I ran out of water (see my race report) and had to officially cheat since I grabbed a water from a spectator 2/3 of the way through this section to ensure I didn't get dehydrated because I know my body that once I get there...coming out of that hole is nearly impossible for me.

2006-07-08 7:44 AM
in reply to: #476357

I'm doing the bike video preview now and much of it will be from a plane. Hope you enjoy. I will post the link when I'm done! Hope all is well with all your training!!!!

-Stu
2006-07-08 2:15 PM
in reply to: #476445

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison, WI
Steve- - 2006-07-07 9:35 PM

BadgerIronMan - 2006-07-07 7:35 PM Important to note is that with the addition of the 2 miles to the loop last year, the distance from the Verona aid station to the Mt Horeb aid station is about 16 miles, the longest on the course. This bit many people in the @$$ last year.

excellent you mention this mike!! i tell everyone I talk to doing IMWI for the first time the same thing too.

in Verona be SURE to top off your aerobottle with water (or wherever you're keeping your water stores) and take an EXTRA water bottle and place it in your jersey pocket.

I ran out of water (see my race report) and had to officially cheat since I grabbed a water from a spectator 2/3 of the way through this section to ensure I didn't get dehydrated because I know my body that once I get there...coming out of that hole is nearly impossible for me.

You bet...
That extra bottle is a must especially if you pick up a special treat from your special needs bag and need to wash it down. That's what put me in a hole last year. I ended up leaving special needs w/ only 1 water bottle...Not Good!

How to break the rules and not break the rules #1: Ask any volunteer along the roadside, especially the ones in lawn chairs with coolers, directing traffic for water if you need it. You can legal take anything they have since they are volunteers

Edited by BadgerIronMan 2006-07-08 2:18 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Wisconsin Recon Trip Rss Feed