Pottsville, Pennsylvania
United States
46F / 8C
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 1859/2156
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 198/274
Pre-race routine:

Event was held at and by Yuengling, America's oldest brewery!

**Disclaimer: I did this race with my friend, 'Cuda', a first time 5K-er, and chose to stay with her throughout the whole race rather than go at my usual tempo.**

My friend and I got into Pottsville Friday afternoon, headed to the brewery for a tour and to check out the gift show and to explore town a little, as well as do packet pickup for 4 other friends. Drove the course because we knew it would be hilly (the whole TOWN is hilly) and my friend was a bit apprehensive about it. After driving the course she was still apprehensive about it! No amount of positive comments from me could console her. Brewery tour and tasting were fun, now it's off to Maroon's for packet pickup. Holy cow, I think everyone was there! The line was out the door, up some steps and in a very disorganized, chaotic room. They were that swamped that they didn't bother checking my friends' permission slips for me to get their packets, and in the frenzy the volunteer failed to give me my own packet! Thankfully I realized the error before I walked away.

By now it was much later than preferable and we still hadn't eaten supper and Maroon's was ridiculously busy with a line to be seated, so we headed out to a different establishment. My friend's friend is a bartender at the Greystone, so we headed there with the intention of just saying hi but ended up having a beer and dinner there at the bar.

Stopped at a very skeevy gas station for water and soda on the way back to the hotel. Thankfully we got out of there quickly without incident! Back at the hotel I headed over to the room of 2 of the friends I picked packets up for. While I'm there, my sister texts me FROM CANCUN, MEXICO, "what is the treatment for sun poisoning?" Oh my. I didn't reply right away because I didn't know the answer and wanted to research it first. So a few minutes later, she calls to ask the same thing. I take the call and head back to the room to look up the answer on my friend's iPad, then text her back. Only my sister could get some weird skin condition (I've dubbed it Tropical Jungle Rot). Finally got to bed waaay later than I would've under normal circumstances and didn't really sleep all that well.

Race morning I was up before the alarm, ate the breakfast of champions, Tastykake Butterscotch Krimpets and diet Dr. Pepper. Oh my. So not the norm and so not a wise choice, generally, but I wasn't too worried since I knew I wasn't 'racing', so just go with it! Met up with our other friends and headed to the race site nice and early. We got a good spot in the parking garage near the brewery and headed toward the race area to get our friends their wristbands identifying them as over 21 and to scope things out.

As we were out, my phone rang and another friend who is doing the race says, "L___'s bike just got hit in the garage!" a few other things were said, but I was under the impression that my friend was riding her bike and got hit in the garage, so I hung up and started running down the hill toward the parking garage, in a controlled panic, worried about my friend. I get to the garage and start heading up the levels looking for them. Finally I see a car and a bike wheel and people standing around but I'm a little confused. The friend who I thought was riding was in street clothes and looked perfectly fine. Then it all started to come together - she had her bike on the roof rack and made it as far as the 2nd level before it hit. So on one hand, relief, but on the other hand, still upset at the prospect of my friend ruining her bike, rack, and damaging the car.

Eventually we put the rack and bike in Cuda's SUV and got everyone settled and I gave them their packets I picked up the night before. We went down, again, to the starting area for them to get wristbands and met up with the friends I abandoned when I took off running to help L.

Since there were 2500 registered runners/walkers, there were timing corrals. We put ourselves in the appropriate starting area and hung out, shivering, waiting for the start. I did a little stretching but not my usual routine.
Event warmup:

See the part where I took off running toward the parking garage, LOL!
Run
  • 46m 21s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 14m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

Stayed with my friend letting her dictate pace and walking/running segments, with only my occasional input. She is a very new runner so much of the race experience is new to her, especially a bigger one such as this. Nearing mile 1 some residents along the course had a beverage stand set up for the runners with little cups of bloody Marys and mimosas. At first I was going to keep going, then I announced to Cuda that I couldn't say no to that and was making a pit stop. After all, we're here to have fun, right?! I grabbed a mimosa and drank all but the sip Cuda wanted. We made a little small talk with the folks, thanked them profusely, and headed on our way!

The mimosa added to the good time I was already having with my friends. We kept plugging away with the walk/run routine. Between miles 1 and 2, Cuda came across a woman she knew and we chatted with her a bit before we headed up steep hill up #1. Steep hill up #2 elicited many groans from the surrounding racers. On the now flatter and somewhat downward grade of Howard, Cuda was able to run more often and further. Steep hill down was in a word: yikes! On our way down we were chatting with some other racers. At the bottom of the hill were our friends, cheering and yelling and screaming for us and the folks we were chatting to were jealous they didn't have their own cheering section. I asked him his name and we yelled for our friends to cheer for him, and they did, making him feel like a rock star, LOL!! Once we safely made it down the hill it was a nice, friendlier downhill to the finish.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing!
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finish line, grabbed some water and chips and headed to the car to get our jackets. Came back to the post-race block party for more snacks, to check out the items for sale and to get our free beers! Hung out chatting with our friends and people watched. Also hit the brewery gift shop again.

Bought my husband a ring beer bottle opener and you would think I found the greatest thing ever, he loves it!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not applicable at this race.

Event comments:

For a first time event, Yuengling got the majority of things right and put on a great event. I think a few things could be improved, such as a more organized packet pickup, or hold it in a larger area, IDK. My only other minor complaint was the beer line was crazy long, which is to be expected at an event with roughly 2500 racers, but perhaps next year they could improve upon it. Tough call.

Overall my friends and I had a great time and they all want to come back next year. Looks like this has the makings of an annual event! I would love to come back next year and see how I do on this course actually racing. It will be a challenge, for sure, and I want to see how I measure up against the hills.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-12-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:46:21 | 03.11 miles | 14m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/274
Overall: 0/2156
Performance:
Course: Start/finish near the brewery. Course followed Mahantongo Street for about a mile, then turned right down 19th to W. Norwegian St., then left and steep up to 22nd street, another left to Mahantongo St., right and a steep up on 20th St. (mile 2) to Howard St., at roughly mile 3 take a left and steep down on 10th St. back to Mahantongo and run to the finish. Course was possibly long: my Garmin read 3.22 and I overheard another racer report 3.25.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-04-18 3:47 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: Yuengling Light Lager Jogger 5K

2013-04-18 3:59 PM
in reply to: #4706205

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Yuengling Light Lager Jogger 5K
Post race beer and in race mimosas. This sounds like a perfect race, no wonder you and your friends would like to return!
2013-04-18 4:23 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Sounds like a great time, even with the added excitement of the night before and the pre-race bike issue. Good on you for staying with your friend. I love encouraging new and/or returning runners.

And who can argue with the post race beer being a micro!!!!!!

2013-04-18 4:23 PM

User image

Seattle

Are you kidding me!?!?!?!?! This event sounds right up my alley!!! MAJOR props in your race selection, my friend.

I love that every time I read your RRs you just embody what it means to be a kind, generous and thoughtful ambassador of the sport. Very cool of you to join your friend for her first time. 

Plus you are pretty much batting 1,000 for picking up the mimosa mid run. 

2013-04-19 8:38 AM
in reply to: #4706276

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Great race report!  It sounds like a blast!

Tastykake Butterscotch Krimpets and diet Dr. Pepper, taste bud party!

2013-04-19 3:00 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Are you kidding me Melanie?  Aid stations with booze!  That's awesome.  Sounds like fun to go out at an easy pace, drink a little knowing you'll make it to the finish just fine.  Great job being there and supporting your friend.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Yuengling Light Lager Jogger 5K Rss Feed