BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Funked Up Triathletes (Sprint, Olympic Focus) Group - Closed Until Next Season Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2013-05-19 12:54 PM
in reply to: Roadtoad22

User image

Lenexa, KS
Subject: RE: Funked Up Triathletes (Sprint, Olympic Focus) Group - OPEN
Coming from a running background my Negative Nancy stance is that the two events are really very different training to accomplish either and most people aren't sufficiently trained to do one or the other.

Personally I think I'd pick which one you think is more meaningful for you to do (a bigger check off the bucket list, bragging rights, etc.) and then set up your training around that goal.

2013-05-19 2:40 PM
in reply to: funkj25

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
I completed my first Olympic distance race Saturday and now have a full race report (with pictures) posted to my blog link below.
Please check it out, but here is the short summary.

4th out of 18 in Men's 40-44 Division.

Swim was 3/18
Bike was 6/18
Run was 4/18.

Not quite on the podium but I am happy with the progress and improvements I'm making.
Had a blast. Have another ocean swim event (sprint) in 3 weeks.

After you go to the blog link you may have to hit the "home" banner to get to the actual blog entry. Seems to be some problem associated with the new site upgrades here. Thanks for reading.
2013-05-20 12:27 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Lenexa, KS
Glad to hear things are coming along for you. I'll probably check out your blog post later this evening when I get a little more time

I also had a race this weekend, but it was cancelled due to inclement weather. Guess I should have raced the other local race that didn't get canceled. Such is life, right?

Hoping to hear how everyone else's race season is shaping up.
2013-05-20 1:09 PM

User image

New user
Rhode Island
Originally posted by Dominion

I completed my first Olympic distance race Saturday and now have a full race report (with pictures) posted to my blog link below.
Please check it out, but here is the short summary.

4th out of 18 in Men's 40-44 Division.

Swim was 3/18
Bike was 6/18
Run was 4/18.

Not quite on the podium but I am happy with the progress and improvements I'm making.
Had a blast. Have another ocean swim event (sprint) in 3 weeks.

After you go to the blog link you may have to hit the "home" banner to get to the actual blog entry. Seems to be some problem associated with the new site upgrades here. Thanks for reading.

I like your blog and I'm very impressed with 4th place age group finish!
2013-05-20 1:17 PM
in reply to: johnmoran

User image

New user
Rhode Island
Question-- googled a little bit but didn't find a definitive answer- if achilles is sore, stretch or no stretch? I ran hills for over an hour yesterday and my left achilles is sore, not injured, just minor soreness. Debating on whether I should just ice and leave alone or also do some light stretching?

On another note, have open water swim training in my tri clinic tonight. Ocean in Rhode Island, water temps in the 57-59 degree range tonight, so not looking forward to that as I have a sleeveless wetsuit. I just bought a neoprene cap with chin strap so I hope that will help some. I have a big head and it is a bright orange cap, so I'm worried my head will be mistaken for a course marking buoy. :-)

John
2013-05-21 8:14 AM

User image

Lenexa, KS
Is your actual achilles sore, i.e. the tendon down into attaching at your heel or is it the lower part of your calf? We'd definitely expect the lower part of your calf (soleus) to be sore as you're working on that new improved form which is perfectly okay to stretch. The actual tendon though may be a different matter. Soreness probably not an issue, but if you get any pain then just ice don't stretch.

In either case try using a heating pad on it for 10 minutes before you warm up/stretch and get into your workout then ice afterwards. The heating pad helps blood flow before ever stressing the muscle and then your warmup/stretching should continue that process before the workout load is applied.

Side note: According to a study (I can't recall which, I've read too many) there's a higher incidence of injury with people who only stretch before exercise than people who don't stretch at all. In short, stretch before and after your workout for maximum results.

As a general rule of thumb, soreness is okay, sharp or dull pain typically not okay (but this is usually self-evident).

2013-05-21 1:52 PM

User image

Lenexa, KS
Just to let anyone know who'd be interested I have been working with John on improving his running form. I've made a video showing some of the main points of proper running form and then dissected John's video of himself running to give specific pointers on things to improve.

If anyone else would like me to take a look at their running form or would like to see the video I put together send me a PM to get started or you can of course post in the thread if you'd like to do it as a case study with everyone else.
2013-05-27 7:51 PM

User image

Wilmington NC
I hope everyone was able to get some good training or racing in this weekend. I went for a ride to the beach and met the family there. I actually got a great impromptu ocean swim in too. I packed my cap and goggles just in case and was presently surprised that the ocean was pretty calm and my hubby was patient enough to let me go before he went for a paddle. I was only going to go 1/2 mile and walk back but decided to swim back. I didn't have a watch with me but that was also a good thing so I could just do it for pleasure/ practice without pressure. Unfortunately I had already changed into my tank and board shorts when I decided to go. I have a chaffing issue on my neck with my tank I swim in regularly but this cotton one was the worst! I look like someone tried to strangle me or really bad teenage make out session. Might have some explaining to do at work tomorrow. I started reading total immersion book last night, I know I am not the best swimmer but something must be wrong if you get chaffing on your neck without a wetsuit. We have a go pro camera so I might film myself and try to figure out what I am doing wrong. Any swim experts in the group?
Paula
2013-05-28 5:08 PM

User image

Lenexa, KS
Paula,

I sure wouldn't label myself a swim "expert," but I might be able to make some suggestions about your swim if you can take some video. If you can take 2 shots, one while you swim down the lane and back and then one while someone follows you along the side of the pool so we get the side view as you go down and back then I can probably make a few suggestions of what might be happening or drills to do. I'm certainly no expert, but I have been studying a lot of swim stuff and my own swim has improved since a clinic with my coach and she has some swim videos that she shares with her athletes on how to do drills properly and such.

Just get to the video whenever you can and I'll try to break down what I can for you. And of course someone else jump in if you are the fish in the group, no need to be shy!
2013-05-28 6:58 PM

User image

Wilmington NC
Thanks for the help. I don't know when I can get the video to you but will try soon. I am usually alone in the pool so no one to ask to follow me.
2013-05-28 7:34 PM

User image

New user
Rhode Island
I wanted to post on update on the aerobars. I bought some last week, just entry level ones that the LBS had in stock. They put them on and did a basic fit for me and they feel fine. I went out today on a route that I like to ride. It's a flat out and back road with almost zero traffic, 17.1 mile total ride. Here are my last 3 rides on that route (all done in the past 3 weeks)

(1) 62 min 1 sec, 16.5mph avg
(2) 61 min 7 sec,16.8 mph avg
(3) 61 min 29 sec, 16.7 mph avg

today with aerobars-
56 min 37 sec, 18.1 mph avg

I was *very* happy with that time and the aero position was very comfortable for me. So I basically "bought" a 1.3+ mph increase in speed
for $95. :-) For that road, anyhow, not sure how it will be on a hilly ride, but I'm very happy.

John

2013-05-28 7:54 PM

User image

Lenexa, KS
John,

Great to hear your new bars are giving you a real gain! Sometimes for me just feeling cool helps me push the pace a little more too when I get that new gear. Yeah, it's a little egomaniacal, but having cool stuff and looking good helps that positive self talk and push you.

Keep us updated on the racing season as it goes on.

2013-05-30 1:01 AM

User image

Wilmington NC
That's awesome. I have a fitting on 6/10 for mine. I really want a new bike but I guess $95 is a lot easier to handle than $2000!
Hope I can get the same improvement
Paula
2013-05-30 8:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Originally posted by johnmoran

I wanted to post on update on the aerobars. I bought some last week, just entry level ones that the LBS had in stock. They put them on and did a basic fit for me and they feel fine. I went out today on a route that I like to ride. It's a flat out and back road with almost zero traffic, 17.1 mile total ride. Here are my last 3 rides on that route (all done in the past 3 weeks)

today with aerobars-

I was *very* happy with that time and the aero position was very comfortable for me. So I basically "bought" a 1.3+ mph increase in speed
for $95. :-) For that road, anyhow, not sure how it will be on a hilly ride, but I'm very happy.

John

Keep at it John! I started out 5 months ago around 16.5 mph. Now I am averaging around 19.5 for 30 mile ride. So improvement does come, just takes some time and work.
2013-05-30 9:03 AM

User image

New user
Rhode Island
Originally posted by Dominion

Originally posted by johnmoran

today with aerobars-

John

Keep at it John! I started out 5 months ago around 16.5 mph. Now I am averaging around 19.5 for 30 mile ride. So improvement does come, just takes some time and work.

Thanks for the encouragement! That's very inspiring to think I might also make a similar improvement in such a short time! My goal is to hit 20 mph average for my flat 17 mile course within a year.
2013-06-01 12:33 PM

User image

Lenexa, KS
Great weather around here this weekend finally (been rainy all week messing up my workout schedule). Hoping everyone is having great weather in your areas.

2013-06-02 7:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Here are my May Training Totals:

Swim : 5340 yards

Bike: 180 Miles

Run: 54.5 Miles

Strength: 5 hours
2013-06-02 8:34 AM

User image

New user
Rhode Island
My May training totals:

Swim: 8500 yds

Bike: 140 miles

Run: 56 miles

Strength: 4 hours
2013-06-02 7:40 PM

User image

Wilmington NC
I had a good race on Saturday, training is starting to come together but there is a lot to improve upon. My swim wasn't bad for an ocean swim. It was a little challenging to get out past the breakers but they weren't too big. My bike was much improved, I was able to hold 18 mph without killing myself. I usually average 16-17. It was only 16 miles - 56 will be a lot harder! My run needed some help but that's an easy fix for me. I did an all women 5k on thurs night. There were 600 women! It's inspiring to see that many women of all shapes and sizes coming out to run. The free food, beer, wine and other goodies might have also been a good incentive. I was part of a team put together by the local tri shop that I am part of their ambassador team. I think I was the only one who didn't podium but there is my incentive for next year! If I could drop 15 pounds it would certainly help too.

Hope everyone's training and races are coming along well
2013-06-03 12:20 PM

User image

New user

Richmond
I have been doing my rides on the open road which feels wonderful since the weather is getting better- My question is:

is there a difference in the wheels of the bike? I keep hearing people tell me to get road wheels. Do I need to get a new bike or can I just change my tires?

Otherwise training has picked up. I was out of commission for a little bit due to an unexpected family issue, but right back into the hard core. The beginner training schedule has been wonderful, but I have to mix up the days sometimes depending on what is going on for the week. I am excited to have planned my first open water swim next month.

Victoria
2013-06-03 1:02 PM
in reply to: victoriarn1019

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Wheels/tires can make a huge difference based on things like weight and rolling resistance. What kind of bike are you riding now?

2013-06-04 12:21 PM

User image

On the taper for the first race of the year this weekend. Feeling pretty good about the training progress, now just to translate that into the race. Running the sprint distance and have a goal of sub 1:30 time. Last year this was my first ever race and completed it in 1:37. Hoping the weather will be nicer than last year. Temp at race start was 9 c and water temp was 14 c. Pretty exciting as my 6 year old son also wants to race so we are entering him in the kids tri on the Saturday. Looking forward to a great weekend.
2013-06-04 1:03 PM
in reply to: southcountrytri

User image

Lenexa, KS
RE Paula: Great to hear things are coming along nicely. It's always good to get in a few races to kind of feel like your legs (well body actually) is coming together how you'd like it for the season. Was it easier coming back in for the ocean swim? I've only done OWS in lakes so that's an unfamiliar experience for me so I'm curious.

RE Victoria: Are you riding a hybrid of some sort now? As stated above wheels absolutely make a big difference. The whole bike itself can make a big difference too, but as my local bike shop owner tells me when I ask what my biggest "bang for my buck" would be in upgrades it's almost always wheels.

2013-06-05 7:24 AM

User image

New user

Richmond
It is just a hybird. not a road bike but not a mountain bike. it has gears and is for riding in the city. I am willing to go get an unexpensive bike at the bike store for road riding but I want to make sure first if that is necessary. All different people have told me different things, but I am trying to get the best advice possible.

Happy National Running Day!! I hope everyone gets to do a run today.

Victoria
2013-06-05 2:47 PM
in reply to: victoriarn1019

User image

Lenexa, KS
My dad rides a hybrid so I'm familiar with the frame style. In my opinion it's really going to depend on what you want. If you want to be seriously competitive in triathlon then a road bike is almost a necessity. If you want to complete your first and go out and do some more before upgrading then a hybrid is a perfectly fine option (especially if you already have one!).

As for putting road wheels on a hybrid I have no idea if that would work properly or not. It seems simple enough as far as logic goes, but I'm no bike mechanic by any means so I'd talk to the local bike shop about that one.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Funked Up Triathletes (Sprint, Olympic Focus) Group - Closed Until Next Season Rss Feed  

of 16