General Discussion Triathlon Talk » pain behind the knee Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-12 10:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sturtevant, WI
Subject: pain behind the knee
I think I'm becoming the Q&A person for all my friends! Here's another one:

My boyfriend is having pain behind his right knee. I thought that it had just started, but apparently he's been having this pain (just mildly) for about 6 months. Of course, since he thinks he's invincible, he ran on it anyway...and didn't stretch for a few months!!!!

It was really hurting him about 2 weeks ago before a 10k. I rubbed it out for him, and he said it was a little better. He then ended up taking 1st in his age division, so I thought the pain was over with. Guess not...

Yesterday, he said that it was hurting him again, and it was during a softball game when he was sprinting around the bases. To me, it sounds like it's more in the area of the bottom of his hamstring rather than the top of his calf. (It sounds like muscular pain, but since it's not me, I can't be totally sure.)

Anyone know what this could be? Any way to fix it? THANK YOU!!!

2006-07-12 2:25 PM
in reply to: #480131

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: pain behind the knee

I had pain behind the knee but mine was caused by a leg length decrepency.  I found out it was two things causing it, my seat being too high on my bike and also over striding when running.  It was only on the left leg which I found out was shorter by a couple of cm.   For the bike, I learned I had to lower the seat to help not overextend the left leg.  For running, I had to not over extend my stride and keep it smaller. 

My pain was towards to upper behind the knee, closer to the hamstring, but I think it was a tendon or something.  It was not a muscle I don't think. 

How I figured it out was, if you put your bf on any bike, put the seat at a height he can reach where his heels are flush on the pedal at the lowest bottom position (6 oclock).  Then raise the seat ever so slightly, have him get on again.  Keep doing it.  At some point, if one leg is longer/shorter, one heel will touch the pedal at the 6 oclock position, and other will be slightly off the pedal when you rotate it to check that 6 oclock position. 

2006-07-26 6:52 AM
in reply to: #480131

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: RE: pain behind the knee
Tell him to get it checked out right away, it could be the start of a ligament tear. Better to be safe then sorry. Last time I had pain in the back of my knee, I ended up playing soccer on it anyway and ended up tearing my ACL and my meniscus. The surgeon said that if I had got it checked out earlier, I could have had a nice easy surgery and quick recovery compared to the long 6 + month recovery and major surgery that I ended up having to have. Just my 2 cents.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » pain behind the knee Rss Feed