General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Massive calf cramp Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-12 3:23 PM

User image

Master
New York
Subject: Massive calf cramp
So in about 12 months of training, I have only ever had this happen 7-8 times, but when it does, man alive does it hurt. It has always happened in the pool, about 10m after a flip turn. One of my calves will completely seize and go into spasm, locking for between 1-3mins. After that the intense pain is gone, but it is touch-sensitive for the next couple of days, and walking is usually a bit of a project. 5 of the 7 or 8 occurences have come since April 28, when I was broadsided by a car while cycling. Anybody else there get these cramps? Are they just part of the aches and pains of training?

2006-07-12 3:44 PM
in reply to: #480684

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Massive calf cramp
I get 'em sometimes.  Same thing.  Usually after a long or hard run the day before and probably a bit of dehydration on the swim.  Add in some bad pushes off the wall and pointing my toes too much and...whammo!  Eat your bananas, stay hydrated, etc.  My leg is fine again in a couple days, but I can swim, bike & run with it.  So I just live with it.
2006-07-12 8:30 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Ive had the same thing happen. Your calf muscle turns into a knot the size of your fist. I'm interested in hearing what causes them/prevents them, as well.
2006-07-12 8:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Edmond, OK
Kenyon - I'm glad I'm not the only one. I came out of T2 during a Du this weekend and before I could crest the first hill, it felt like someone was piercing the insides of both calves. I had to stop and massage them a bit then kept running but at a much slower pace. It was a bad deal.

When I got home I used a percussion massager on both legs and gave them a good massage and was fine Monday. Then Tuesday came and holy smokes I had trouble walking after sitting at my desk for awhile. Both calves kept tightening up and I had a very painful spot on both in about the same place. I continued stretching throughout the day.

It's much better today [Wednesday] and I ran 00:30:00 to help work that out but that was the first time I've ever had cramps. It's a lot bigger deal than I would have expected.

I know I didn't hydrate a lot during the ride which didn't help.

Chap
2006-07-13 3:56 AM

User image

Expert
Raleigh, NC
I had never had this happen during training or competing until this past Sunday. I was on the bike during a Sprint tri, I came very close to calling it quits, but kept forcing my heel down to work the tightness out (had to unclip twice). I know dehydration and sodium/potassium levels are to blame as well, but the reason for my trouble was muscle fatigue. I had worked two 12 hour shifts the two days days before the event. I planned for a taper in my training, but did not account for being so busy at work on my feet for almost all of these two shifts. So drink your water, eat your bananas, *and* don't forget to take a rest day.
2006-07-13 7:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Mobile, Alabama
Cramps can come about for a variety of reasons. The main two are 1. dehydration/lack of water in the cells; and 2. Lack of electrolytes (mainly sodium and potasium) in the body. Diet can usually control these problems. Make sure you don't eat fried foods because that actually "sucks" the water out of the cells. You can try adding a little more salt to you diet along with bananas and your favorite sports drink. When the cramp happens RELAX! I know that is tough to do, but you can usually relax and massage the cramp out pretty quick. Then stretch your calf (foot flexed up against a wall).

2006-07-14 9:20 AM

User image

Master
New York
Thanks for all the help. They don't come too frequently, but when they do it's well above and beyond your standard electrolyte imbalance cramp. I guess if nothing else I'm glad to know it's happening not just to me, and that it's not accident related.
2006-07-16 8:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Wayne, IN
I'm sitting here reading this with my calf sore to the touch after doing a bike/run brick on Thursday with cramps. I typically run through the cramp (usually right calf only) and after about 1/4 mi of running its gone. I have not had them on the swim thankfully. Funny thing for me is that it does not hurt until 1-2 days later. I biked yesterday without any pain and cramping, sometimes I find this absurd. I'll try some of the suggestions others posted regarding diet/supplements, you're definitely not alone.
2007-04-30 2:27 PM

New user

Does anyone else have experience of running through calf cramp? Does this really work?
2007-05-22 9:14 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

I have had this happen to me too. Almost exactly as you describe yours...about 10m after pushing off the wall. The cramps have been massive and extremely painful. One time, it kept me from doing anything for several days. I know it's not an electrolyte imbalance or dehydration. Most likely, the cause for me is muscle exhaustion, as each time, in the day or immediate period before I had probably overdone it.

But, here's a new twist. I have become so paranoid about the stupid cramps, it's totally affecting my ability to swim for any length of time. After I've been in the water for 30 min or so, I start to feel as though my calves are tightening up, just getting ready to lock up. Same in OWS if I don't have a wetsuit on. I do a lot of pulling with the pull buoy these days.

I'm not sure if it's all in my head or real or it's so real in my head that it does in fact become reality.

Any suggestions?

2007-05-22 10:25 AM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
I've had the exact same thing happen. Only happens in the pool, but when the 'ol calf cramps, it's a nasty one. Calf is sore for a couple days after.

I've isolated my problem to hydration. I've been able to manage future cramps by being extremely hydrated prior to heading to the pool - to the point I have to get out and piddle midway through a workout. I also consume liquids between swim sets.

If I feel a cramp coming on while swimming, I stop, hydrate and don't let it get to the 'seriously cramped' point.

2007-05-22 11:42 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
I was having this issue until last December.  I bought Electrolytes, and always make sure I have a recovery drink if I run or bike the day before.  I also stretch my calfs good and do self massages on them.  If swimming at the Y I soak my legs in the hot tub for 5 min or so and rub them down.  And I really don't push off anymore, more like nudge off just to get me going again.
2007-05-22 10:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Manor, Texas
I have cramps in my calfs also. Mine hit at night in the middle of my sleep. I'll stretch my legs, flexing my feet and BAM, there is a monster cramp in my calf. I rip outta my sleep and yell for my husband to rub it out for me while I cry and squirm around in pain. I asked advice and I've heard of eating bananas, drinking lots of water. sports drinks, salt, and now I've been taking a warm soak in the bath before bath to get warm circulation on my calf before bed. It seems to help. See if soaking it helps. I hope we all get better.
2007-05-23 1:13 PM

New user

Two things:
i) Running through calf cramp does work - I tried in the geneva 1/2 marathon - serious cramp at 9km - slowed down but finished the 21 with the cramp much eased :-)
ii) Doctor's recent perscription of supplements:
magnesium 300mg - 600mg / day
calcium + vit D 500mg / day
Take at different times since the magnesium disrupts the absorbtion of the calcium. I've also been taking 500mg potassium + 10mg zinc. Cramps getting fewer & rarer with time.
2007-05-28 9:24 AM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
I experenced this a few times on pool swims and believe it is caused by pushing off the side with my toes,  i have been careful not to do this and have not had anymore pool cramps.  I also have calf cramps on the bike but only when stopping for a light i unclip and reach down with my toe to balance and whamm a big knot of pain I have not resolved that one but believe it to be hydration/salt related.
2007-05-31 8:13 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I get them swimming and also on the run of tris usually only Int'l distance.

I take 3 electrolytes before I swim and then drink water with Nuuns which has electrolytes while swimming. I'm more aware of what happens before I get them, so if I feel them coming on I will get out and stretch. I tend to get them if say I've been swimming 1500 yds and I up to 1800 yds I'll get them between 1500-1800.

My last two Int'l distance races I've cramped the whole run. St. A's I was on some medications that prevented me from sweating...an issue. So if you take any drugs look into side effects. Other thing I redid my sweat rate by testing and my sweat rate is higher than last year so I'm not drinking enough.

After I finished St. A's I collapsed over as both my calves cramped so badly my toes were stuck down and I just fell over...ended up in the medical tent..not pleasant. 

I'm doing my next Int'l race Saturday and I'll be curious if I'll cramp or not. I'm drinking more Gatorade Endurance with more electrolytes but only so much more or I get sloshy stomach...and taking more Lava Salts to try and prevent it and be more aware.

I also got achillies tendinitises in late January and worked hard at strengthening my calves.

I see it as three issues...hydration, electrolytes and strength.

If I get them and run through them, man it beats up my calves a lot and I will limp a couple days and have knots for more than a week....massage helps...but man it wrecks my calves to keep running.

Edited by KathyG 2007-05-31 8:14 PM

2007-08-08 10:05 AM
in reply to: #483780

User image

Wausau, Wisconsin

beadams - 2006-07-16 8:55 AM I typically run through the cramp (usually right calf only) and after about 1/4 mi of running its gone. I have not had them on the swim thankfully. Funny thing for me is that it does not hurt until 1-2 days later.

Did my second sprint ever on Saturday; after T2 and shortly into the run I got a pretty good cramp in my right calf but ran through it.  It went away quite quickly.  The remainder of Saturday and all of Sunday I was fine.  But Monday I could not walk normally because both calves hurt so bad.  Tuesday I could walk normal again, but now I seem to have a little numbness at the top of my foot near the ankle.  Could this be related to tightness in the calf muscles?

2007-08-14 5:31 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Massive calf cramp Rss Feed