General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is Rev3 Florida a good HIM PR course? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-20 10:19 AM

Subject: Is Rev3 Florida a good HIM PR course?
Depending on how recovery from IM Texas from Saturday (my first IM), training, and life over the summer goes, my goal for Rev3 Florida is to go sub 5 hours on the HIM. I am trying to figure out if the course is considered "fast"?

I realize the swim was cancelled last year, but anyone that did it last year or is familiar with the course have any opinions if it is a good race to try and PR? Living and training in Central Texas heat and humidity are not an issue for me. I am nervous about an ocean swim as I haven't done one before.

2013-05-20 11:38 AM
in reply to: maximyus

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Is Rev3 Florida a good HIM PR course?

The Rev3 HIM bike course is flat, but has four different out & backs with 180turnarounds, so that might be somewhat disruptive to your rhythm.  Other than that, the wind would be the biggest wildcard.

Venice is probably a great place to do your first OWS.  Unless there is a storm passing through there is normally very little surf or swells.  Very gradual drop off in water depth from the beach.  When I did the Venice YMCA sprint last September at the same venue the tide was out and you could touch bottom on most of the last swim leg back to the beach. 

The run is flat, but not much shade. 

Mark

2013-05-20 12:02 PM
in reply to: maximyus

User image

Subject: RE: Is Rev3 Florida a good HIM PR course?
I don't know if you can get a great answer to this honestly because it's only the second year of the race.

Last year I did the race. Tropical Storm Sandy caused rough surf so the swim was cancelled. We also had really heavy winds on the course so it was not a pr course that year.

For this year I hear it's a totally different bike route.

I did like the race though. Of the S. Fl. race options in the fall it's my top choice.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is Rev3 Florida a good HIM PR course? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

When a PR is not a PR.

Started by shammer
Views: 1321 Posts: 7

2012-10-08 12:01 AM Left Brain

I am looking for a ride (rev3 quassy ) jun 2

Started by happyliving
Views: 443 Posts: 1

2012-05-22 1:00 PM happyliving

Distance PR vs Speed PR

Started by ZenMaster
Views: 779 Posts: 5

2012-05-21 7:18 PM jdotten

Rev3 Florida

Started by JPS0135
Views: 551 Posts: 1

2011-10-10 9:23 AM JPS0135

36 Min IM PR same course !

Started by Baowolf
Views: 475 Posts: 2

2011-08-01 12:40 PM jsnowash
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : January 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 2
Going for broke in a race, as a pro or an amateur, can mean failure or exhilaration -- or both.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.
date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
comments : 0
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
comments : 0
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.