General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training and Blood Donation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-14 8:28 AM

User image

Regular
Rhode Island
Subject: Training and Blood Donation
I went for an early 5 mile run this morning and the first two went ok, but then I felt like I hit a wall. Even the hill that I usually stride up became the ironman shuffle. It took at least an extra 3 minutes to finish the 5 miles. I was pretty frustrated and couldn't figure out why I was going backward in my fitness. Then I looked down at my arm and saw the band-aid there. I just gave blood two days ago. So I have 1/8 the number of RBCs, which would make sense on why I was so tired and couldn't catch my breath.

Does anyone have any data on this sort of thing? I'm hoping it's not 8 weeks to fully recover.

Thanks!

2006-07-14 8:34 AM
in reply to: #482476

Master
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Training and Blood Donation
Takes me a week to feel like I'm back to normal every time I give. I like to donate blood for helping so I plan my races accordingly.
2006-07-14 8:42 AM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
Yep it takes about a week. But here's something though - obviously your body detects the drop in red blood cell count and so it starts to produce more. There is some research to suggest that the process of red blood production may actually overshoot (as many other processes within the body do) any for a while you will be left with a slightly higher concentration of RBC than you did before you gave blood. This may or may not be the case but it would be nice to think so - kinda like being repaid for your good actions.
2006-07-14 8:44 AM

User image

Champion

There's good news, and there's bad news.

Bad news is that it takes LONGER than 8 weeks to get all your RBC's back.

Good news is that most people feel normal long before that ever happens.  Usually within a week or so people feel fine.  Oh, and you did a very good thing by donating regardless of how it affects your training in the short term.

2006-07-14 8:59 AM

User image

Master
Tampa, Fl
When I donate whole blood it takes a couple of days before I can run again. But since I switched to plateletts I can go the next day. It takes longer, but you get most of yoru redblood cells back before you leave.
2006-07-14 9:14 AM

Veteran
Michigan

I have been a blood drive coordinator at my office for over 10 years and I have to disagree with the 1 week as a standard "recovery time".  According to the Red Cross, most people feel completely back to normal within 24 hours - as long as they rest a bit and drink plenty of fluids after donating.  People have 10-12 pints of blood in their body and the fluids lost during a donation are normally replaced within 24 hours.  Personally, I always feel just fine the next day.  Did you drink plenty of fluids in the 24 hours after donating?  And you got plenty of rest?  Were you feeling good before donating?  It could be any number of reasons including maybe you just had a bad day of running. 

I just wanted to make sure people don't think it takes a whole week to feel normal after donating!  We have a heck of a time getting people to donate in the first place! 

2006-07-14 9:21 AM
in reply to: #482562

User image

Regular
Rhode Island
kimta - 2006-07-14 10:14 AM

According to the Red Cross, most people feel completely back to normal within 24 hours

Thanks for the info, but I've never seen or heard that stated in reference to a triathlete. Yes, that's what they say for your average person who goes to work the next day, takes care of the kids, watches a little tv and goes to bed. However, when they take 1/10 of your RBCs away, that is going to make a difference in training. I just did a 4 mile race a week ago, where I averaged a 7:33 mile for 4 miles. Today, I did 5 miles in 45. It made a difference.

When these people are saying it takes them a week to get back to normal, I take it to mean in their training. Not just in general. I felt "normal" walking out of the center after giving blood. I never felt anything different. I was asking in the context of my cardiovascular training.

I was optimistic at the start of your post to see one from a blood drive coordinator, but I was hoping that you'd be able to offer more data from the perspective of a triathlete who needs oxygen getting to muscle cells as quickly and plentifully as possible. After a whole blood donation, that capacity *has* to be diminished. And I'm hoping the other posters are correct, that in a week, my training will feel the same way as it did 3 days ago.

Thanks!
2006-07-14 9:32 AM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

I'll usually feel normal for day to day stuff after a night's sleep.  Normal for training takes a few days to a week.

2006-07-14 9:32 AM
in reply to: #482562

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
kimta - 2006-07-14 9:14 AM

I have been a blood drive coordinator at my office for over 10 years and I have to disagree with the 1 week as a standard "recovery time".  According to the Red Cross, most people feel completely back to normal within 24 hours - as long as they rest a bit and drink plenty of fluids after donating.  People have 10-12 pints of blood in their body and the fluids lost during a donation are normally replaced within 24 hours.  Personally, I always feel just fine the next day.  Did you drink plenty of fluids in the 24 hours after donating?  And you got plenty of rest?  Were you feeling good before donating?  It could be any number of reasons including maybe you just had a bad day of running. 

I just wanted to make sure people don't think it takes a whole week to feel normal after donating!  We have a heck of a time getting people to donate in the first place! 

In terms of "feeling normal" 24 hours is probably right for "most people," but "most people" aren't running 5 miles a day (or several times a week). People who are training will probably notice an impact on their performance for a week (give or take). Just plan to go a little easier and not set any PR's in the week following donation.

During my physical last year for a backpacking trip, my doctor suggested skipping the donation 4 weeks prior to the trip (two weeks hiking at altitude). When I couldn't get in to give 3 weeks ago, I decided to wait until after my HIM (in 3 weeks), so I skipped the drive this week. (I'm close to my 5-gallon mark, so I don't feel to bad missing an occasional drive.)
2006-07-14 9:47 AM

User image

Expert
Dallas, TX
I feel pretty recovered in 24 hours and can resume my training. Maybe not speed work, but normal workload. I give blood regularly and haven't had much of a problem. Even swim the same day.
2006-07-14 2:11 PM
in reply to: #482578

Veteran
Michigan
paTRIck - 2006-07-14 10:21 AM
kimta - 2006-07-14 10:14 AM

According to the Red Cross, most people feel completely back to normal within 24 hours

Thanks for the info, but I've never seen or heard that stated in reference to a triathlete. Yes, that's what they say for your average person who goes to work the next day, takes care of the kids, watches a little tv and goes to bed. However, when they take 1/10 of your RBCs away, that is going to make a difference in training. I just did a 4 mile race a week ago, where I averaged a 7:33 mile for 4 miles. Today, I did 5 miles in 45. It made a difference. When these people are saying it takes them a week to get back to normal, I take it to mean in their training. Not just in general. I felt "normal" walking out of the center after giving blood. I never felt anything different. I was asking in the context of my cardiovascular training. I was optimistic at the start of your post to see one from a blood drive coordinator, but I was hoping that you'd be able to offer more data from the perspective of a triathlete who needs oxygen getting to muscle cells as quickly and plentifully as possible. After a whole blood donation, that capacity *has* to be diminished. And I'm hoping the other posters are correct, that in a week, my training will feel the same way as it did 3 days ago. Thanks!

Patrick, as I said, I coordinate blood drives.  I am not a medical professional so I can't provide specific data on the effect of blood donation on training.   I'm sorry if I misinterpreted your post.

However, I did comment from a triathlete's perspective - mine.  I do not run 7:33 minute miles but I have no problem returning to my normal training the day after donating as long as I got a good night's sleep and properly hydrated the day of and the day after donating. 

Personally, my training is important to me but running slower for a few days would still make the donating experience worth it to me.

2006-07-14 4:17 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

As a coach I advise my athletes not to give blood until after their "A" race. If you think about it you are base training in order to a) produce more red blood cells, and b) make the one's you already have more efficient in transporting oxygen to the working muscles and removing waste (i.e. lactic acid) which causes fatigue. Why would you want to give away your hard earned RBC until after the race you have trained so hard for?

I agree you did a good thing giving, like everything else periodize your dontations.

2006-07-14 7:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

I'm in agreement with those who have experienced feeling normal in everyday life within a day or less. However,  I never noticed any different until this past year since I started running.  It takes me a good 5-7 days to feel normal during my runs.  I still do them, but I have to go slower to keep my heart rate and breathing under control.

Diane

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training and Blood Donation Rss Feed