General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin Courses with Strava Segments Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-25 11:55 PM

Regular
Subject: Garmin Courses with Strava Segments
So I figured out how to take strava segments and times to beat and put them in my Garmin so I can race against them using the virtual partner. What I'm curious about is, can you take multiple strava segments and put them into one large course, so as you do the large loop the Garmin will then warn you a segment is coming, which you can then try to beat with the virtual partner?

Maybe a better way to ask is this: Lets say I do a 50 mile loop which I make into a course called "Loop". I notice that there are 4 Strava segments in that same "Loop". So I download my best times for each segment and add them as courses, which I send to my Garmin. Can I start my "Loop" course and then when I come to each segment, the Garmin will warn me and I can pull up the virtual partner to try and beat my time? Or do I have to manually load each segment as I come near it?

2013-05-27 4:45 PM
in reply to: kilgoretrout

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Subject: RE: Garmin Courses with Strava Segments

Do you use this? http://cosmocatalano.com/strava/

The way I was doing this was to map the route on http://ridewithgps.com/, so that I could export it to a .tcx file to upload to my Garmin. There were two problems with this though. 1) I wasn't sure that I mapped the strava segment exactly right (especially if the strava segment went offroad) and 2) I don't think the route planner on ridewithgps let me set the speed of the virtual partner and it would have been difficult to account for the variations in the speed on the route.

If you have some step by step instructions, that would be great.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin Courses with Strava Segments Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Strava Run vs. Garmin Connect

Started by Tparkin
Views: 5894 Posts: 13

2013-02-09 3:00 PM mroger82

Lower back sore after bike segment???

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 729 Posts: 4

2012-04-02 12:43 PM JZig

Sprint Tri 5K Segment - Performance

Started by jansenwins
Views: 653 Posts: 3

2008-08-05 7:30 AM strostertag

Who's panicked on the swim segment?

Started by marmadaddy
Views: 1148 Posts: 16

2004-08-09 8:02 PM buttercup

Training for the Run segment

Started by Reiley
Views: 848 Posts: 3

2004-05-11 5:38 PM snikpos
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 12, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
In this review, we put the Garmin Forerunner 405 and the Suunto T6C heart-rate and GPS watches through the wringers.

date : September 28, 2009
New products from Athlete 3, Fuji, Garmin, Kestrel, LiveStrong, Reynolds, Scott, Specialized, Shimano and Vision Tech
date : June 18, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Easily transfer your workout data from your Garmin, Polar, Timex and more directly into your BT training log. Eliminate the manual entries. Save time!

date : March 26, 2008
Instructions on how to directly upload routes from your Garmin training device into your training logs.
date : November 22, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.
date : September 3, 2005
You may think that all the swims are the same. You get in, follow the buoys and exit. Well, it’s not so simple. What will the water itself be like?

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.