General Discussion Triathlon Talk » working strength sessions into the week Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-15 11:08 PM

Subject: working strength sessions into the week
I am new to the sport and starting a triathlon training program that involves weightlifting a few times a week. I have divided my swimming/biking/running into easy and hard days, and I was wondering if it would be better to do the weights on the easy or the hard days? Is it best to keep the easy days easy and make the hard days harder, or will it be better to even out the difficulty but have fairly hard workouts 6 days a week?

Thanks for the help, if you have any other advice, let me have it. I'm a total newbie.

Tom

2006-07-18 4:35 AM
in reply to: #483713

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
Subject: RE: working strength sessions into the week
I'm not sure that it matters really.  I think that you should have 1 very easy day per week and the rest is just what suits you best.  Just make sure that you can do each workout properly.  If you can' then change things around.
2006-07-18 5:59 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Weight training gains depend on getting adequate rest and recovery periods afterwards - that is when the muscles actually repair themselves and get stronger.  Therefore you don't want to work the same body parts back-to-back if you can avoid it.  For example, leg strength exercises followed immediately by a hard bike ride, or upper body/arms routine followed by swimming.  Just mix it up a little bit and you should be okay.

I came from a weight-lifting/bodybuilding background, but have done less and less weight training as I have gotten more involved in tri training.  

Good luck with your training, 

Mark

2006-07-18 5:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

IMHO It is best to keep the easy days easy and make the hard days a bit harder but not too hard. You need those easy days to recover. You could mix and match, provided that those parts affected are fully, and that means fully, recovered from previous session.

Contrary to usual beleif, never train sore muscle, and never stretch cold muscle, it is both risk for injury. Yes I know, recovery could be faster if you do some specific light excercises, but as a newbie it is hard to discern what is "light" for your body. IMHO it is so much better and safer to do less than too much and then be forced to stop. Even if that mean to skip a session. Muscle strenght gain is so bigger than connective tissue strenght gain so you could be tempted to lift too much too soon. Be extremly carefull. You will see.

It is not common to have 6 fairly hard workouts in a row, there is such things as periodisation, microcycles etc. Just remember rest is the time you reap the benefits of your work, body needs that time to build itself stronger. Not enough rest=no benefits.

Good luck with your training!

Edited by sanjana 2006-07-18 6:00 AM
2006-07-18 6:30 AM

Thanks for the advice. I have been doing these strength workouts for a while, while also running and swimming a little, so I think I am familiar enough with it to know how it meshes with the more intense swimming/biking, as well as the running. Thanks.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » working strength sessions into the week Rss Feed