General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road Bike -> Tri Bike Critique (video) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-18 7:24 PM

New user
Subject: Road Bike -> Tri Bike Critique (video)
Hey all,

Little background first. I'm in my second year of tri training. Completed my first and only Tri last year (Poconos 70.3), and have B2B on the calendar as my A-Race this year. Although B2B (super flat course) is a great course for a Tri-Bike, I don't have it in the budget for this year, so I'm going to have to attack this race with my road bike (Podium 6), "decked" out into Tri mode. What you see in the video (link below)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBcja9wj4Ok

3 of the 4 spacers out from underneath the stem
Profile Design Forward seat post
Easton Aero Bars

I'm sure with 18 weeks until the race, I'll have more than enough time to get used to this position.

I was looking for some suggestions, either what I could add onto this set up, or what I could change from what I have now.

Thanks for your time/help, I really appreciate it

Chris

2013-06-19 8:34 AM
in reply to: crr5071

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Road Bike -> Tri Bike Critique (video)
I'm not a professional, my advice is worth what you pay it.
No joking around (this isn't ST) but your seat looks too high. Are you experiencing any discomfort in the sensitive regions, or having trouble getting in a good spot on the saddle? You could probably bring it down anywhere from 5-10mm from what I see. You should get both power and comfort from that.

I'll make a couple of assumptions -
1) you're making this change to gain speed, not comfort. If comfort were king, you'd ride in road position.
2) Holding 1 constant, you're willing to be mildly uncomfortable to gain aerodynamic speed

It not being a tri bike your position is obviously pretty crunched up and not relaxed, but it *is* more aerodynamic than riding with road bars. I tried the same thing last year using a Cervelo S1 with an Vision TriMax aerobar setup, and I found it was fine for Olympics or less, but really started to hurt my back for anything longer than an hour. As I'm moving up distances, it became necessary to have a properly fit tri bike to hold that aero advantage but have the comfort needed to ride that long. So long as you can hold that position on that bike, there isn't much more you can do to improve it, as it's not designed to be what you're trying to make it. It looks like you're falling off the front of those extensions, but I can't tell for sure because your arm and hand are obscuring them. If it's a J-bend, is it bending down? It should be up. Possibly those could come out a little farther.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road Bike -> Tri Bike Critique (video) Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

From Road bike to Tri bike *NEW BIKE*

Started by bradword
Views: 2271 Posts: 19

2007-08-25 10:21 PM tkbslc

Road bike or tri bike?

Started by abaran
Views: 1002 Posts: 16

2004-09-19 1:00 PM abaran

Road bike vs tri bike

Started by waterfordhunter
Views: 1801 Posts: 20

2004-07-19 9:20 AM JoeR

Converting Road Bike to Tri-bike

Started by the bear
Views: 1067 Posts: 5

2004-07-01 4:24 PM the bear

to tri bike or to road bike

Started by elvis
Views: 1296 Posts: 4

2004-03-27 9:27 PM umbach
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : February 3, 2009
comments : 0
On my road bike after 45 minutes, I develop pain between my shoulder blades. It still persists unless I am on my tri bike.

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : December 15, 2008
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : December 5, 2007
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
What makes a triathlon bike a triathlon bike? Learn about angles, seating, position, aerobars, and the importance of a proper bike fit.
date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.

date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.