United States
Running Club North
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 51m 14s
Overall Rank = 7/20
Age Group = 40 and above
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Had a sausage mcmuffin and coffee from Mcdonalds and drove an hour+ in the rain and fog out to the event.
Event warmup:

Just a cold 1 mile bike warmup, make sure gears and brakes were all still working properly!
Swim
  • 46m 12s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

Was an okay swim, started out okay, no panic. Did get kicked in the goggles once on the first lap. Got tangled in the ropes a couple of times as well as headed off course a couple of times! Need lane lines in the gravel pit! I did figure out by the last lap how to push off the gravel bar, that was a nice boost.
What would you do differently?:

Figure out the drafting deal a little better, maybe swim a little harder.
Transition 1
  • 04m 31s
Comments:

It was raining again when we got out of the water so kind of dryed off but it was raining so what was the point! Struggled a little getting the wetsuit off the calves and getting my biking gloves on. But glad I had the full gloves.

Just speed it up a bit, dont worry about being wet!
Bike
  • 2h 53m 39s
  • 52.5 miles
  • 18.14 mile/hr
Comments:

The hills were not enjoyable bcuz with the wind you actually had to pedal downhill. Also with the headwind out it was hard and you had to do it twice! And of course the tailwind never quite makes up for the headwind but it was nice to cruise faster. I felt good on the bike, after awhile I looked at my bike computer and thought this is the furthest I have ever biked and each additional pedal is the furthest I have biked.

More biking in training.
Set up my energy needs differently, they were rather difficult to pull out of the back of my jacket.
Transition 2
  • 05m 7s
Comments:

My bike shoes and socks were soaked but my running shoes were dry. I debated wet socks or no socks. Took my socks off, wrung them out, and put back on. I think that was the best decision. Drank my cytomax from the rest of my waterbottle on the bike. And after a long relaxing transition left onto the run. Left my jacket but carried a carboom packet and some cliff shot blocks onto the run. (Did not use the carboom, just carried it!)

Have dry socks available.
Get out of there sooner!
Run
  • 2h 01m 45s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Wow the area I consider my strength was my slowest area!
Felt good getting out there on the run.
Stopped at mile 1 and took a long pee!
Then at the first aid station she was offering me all kinds of goodies so I stopped and snacked. This is funny, Gina passed by me on the bike here and as she passed I said to the girl at the aid station that is my friend and she is probably wondering what I am doing. When I saw Gina afterward, that is exactly what she had thought! Oh well, it was the thing to do at the time!
Mile 8 of the run was one of the hardest miles, that was a gradual uphill mile. Those last miles I slowed down a bit but they werent too bad and I knew I was almost done. It got easier the closer I got to the finish line. However I thought I was running faster than I was actually going!

Just keep running!
Post race
Warm down:

Waded in the cold water for a little bit. Packed up and looked forward to Gina finishing. She finished in 6:32:24. It is amazing how strong everyone looked coming into the finish!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of distance training. Lack of race attitude. Tho I was not happy when I thought some gal was drafting off me, that's kind of a competitive mode.

Event comments:

7/20 women and 18/43 overall (not counting 3 relay)
It feels great to have completed a half ironman. I thank God he has given me the strength and endurance to do such an event.

Also glad I hadnt read the previous days paper that stated I was "likely to provide stiff competition"!!! I did win the Masters division but really I was just glad to be there.

And they had a great potluck barbecue afterward with tons of food! Yummmmm!

Last updated: 2006-07-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:46:12 | 2112 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 6/20
Performance: Average
Avg HR 134
Suit: full wetsuit
Course: 6 laps around buoys in a gravel pit! There were a couple of shallow areas, gravel bars that we touched the botton on our arm stroke.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:31
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:53:39 | 52.5 miles | 18.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 6/20
Avg HR 136
Wind: Strong
Course: The course was 2 loops with the first 6 miles of the loop hilly. My bike computer logged it at 52.5 miles so I think it was marked a little short, some of it could be the measurement on my computer but I think it was a little short.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:07
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:01:45 | 13.1 miles | 09m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/
Overall: 10/20
avg HR 145
Course: Flat 7 miles and then last 6.1 miles hilly with the last mile being gradual downhill.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-17 3:56 PM

User image

Alaska
Subject: Sourdough Triathlon

2006-07-18 12:55 AM
in reply to: #485277

User image

Kodiak, Alaska
Subject: RE: Sourdough Triathlon
You are AWESOME!!! Congrats!
2006-07-19 6:46 AM
in reply to: #485277

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: RE: Sourdough Triathlon

Great job on your race!!!!  First 1/2 IM right?  Very very cool!!!!

Stopping for a snack.  I love it!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sourdough Triathlon Rss Feed